PDA

View Full Version : Y belt slipping anty suggetions

mabco12
08-27-2010, 08:44 PM
Hi All,
I bought a used carvewright from this forum and have gone through the maintenance procedures. I have a few problems:
1-The bit flag is slow to pop out and a clicking noise can be heard and y belt is jumping slightly causing slipping and the error 303 code appears after coming back to homing position.
2- The y track carrier seems like it is hitting the bit flag causing a collision effect that is not very hard but I know this is not right?? I have two other machines so I think I will watch them closely again to see what is happening??

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks
Mabco12

unitedcases
08-27-2010, 08:47 PM
First off you may have to change out the bearings on the Y motor. Just did mine today and I did have a bit of clicking before. Supposedly that will help fix it. Second, you need to go to a hobby shop or bike store and get some chain wax and spray just a little where the truck contacts the bit flag. It dries in seconds and it lubes the bit plate. The bearings seem kinda complicated at first but once you do them they are easy. That is also a good time to clean out the gears anyway.

Digitalwoodshop
08-27-2010, 11:14 PM
Beat me to it..... GOOD JOB !!!! That is Classic Bearings gone bad.... Also look and see if the Right Side, the Right Side Cut Motor Safety WIRES are not out of place and the head is having a hard time reaching the Bit Flag as it is hitting the wires with the Z Motor Cooling Fins....

Check your Cut Motor Brushes too..... When that motor stalls... It can snap the $40.00 bit..... Brushes changed every 250 hours.

Good Luck,

AL

mabco12
08-28-2010, 11:42 AM
Hi Guys,
Thanks for your suggestions :). I am going to try to tighten the y belt. The bearings seem to ride nicely without any major problems as I watched the assembly movement. I will let you know how I make out later in the week. Back to school on Tuesday with students on Wednesday so I have to get these machines ready to carve!!

Digitalwoodshop
08-28-2010, 12:09 PM
That slack in your Y belt is not the belt stretching, it is the bearings and then the shaft wearing thin.... Ask me how I know this....? Your belt will not Stretch, the bearings are worn....

Once the bearings let the shaft start wearing thin at the big plastic end it will be sloppy with new bearings.. I have 4 worn shafts to show for it before I became pro active and decided to change the bearings early next time. Lucky I have had extra Z gear boxes, but that was the last one.

First time you hear clicking at the bit flag....

First time you see the Y head reverse directions while heading to the bit flag....

First time you see the Y Return pulley wobbling.....

First time the Y belt looks loose....

First time the machine gives you another "Clean Y Rails" AFTER you just cleaned them....

Then it is time to replace the Y bearings and Y return pulley...

AL

mabco12
08-28-2010, 05:07 PM
Hi Al,
You have helped me in the past and trust your great ability to troubleshoot these machines. I bought my fourth machine and am trying to get the most for my $$$ with having a backup machine for parts or maybe fixing it and having 4 working carvewrights?? We shall soon see how I make out with this undertaking. Thanks for your expert input and help and I will be in touch through the forum and maybe if needed by phone> I know you have the magic jack and that is a great invention as well.

Mabco12

Digitalwoodshop
08-28-2010, 05:23 PM
Good Luck with your machine. Anyone needing help let me know. Yes, I have the Magic Jack and it has saved me over $600.00 a year.... Early they had problems but have worked out the bugs and I hardly ever get complaints about the audio. At first I did. So I can call anyone back in the US Free. Not sure how Canada and Hawaii works...

Always happy to help. My number is on the bottom of my web pages.

AL

mabco12
08-29-2010, 11:59 AM
Al,
Are the bearings on the z and Y the same?? I have a few z truck bearing from the old z's when I replaced them with the carvetight z bundle.

Digitalwoodshop
08-29-2010, 12:02 PM
Yes, they are the same.

AL

mabco12
08-29-2010, 12:14 PM
Should all four bearings be replaced??

Digitalwoodshop
08-29-2010, 02:57 PM
For sure replace the Y.... I have over 1K hours on the machines with no Z Bearing failure. The Y takes the Abuse.... If you have new bearings on hand I would replace them, I will soon.

AL

unitedcases
09-02-2010, 09:29 PM
I did mine the other day and it still has a bit of slop. How hard is it just to order that sprocket?

Digitalwoodshop
09-03-2010, 09:30 AM
The Sprocket must be worn thin as in the picture I posted many times. You can ask LHR but I bet they only sell the gear box. What is your Cut Motor hours? This is a lesson for everyone that preventive maintenance and changing the bearings before they fail and wear the shaft is important. I am recommending changing the bearings at 500 hours.

It took me 3 gearboxes to put that together.... DA...

AL

unitedcases
09-03-2010, 09:17 PM
I blew the processor twice but I am guessing it is at 800+. And I am being very conservative. I do believe it was worn thin. Oh, and I thought you said every 250 hrs?

Digitalwoodshop
09-03-2010, 09:21 PM
My first recommendation is ever 500 cut motor hours but I am going to do them every 250 hours.... The Z too... Do a major clean and overhaul at 250... I can see the wear in the Y in cutting plastic tags with the 1/16 end mill.... The end of the cut is slightly off..... when it cuts all the way around the 2 x 3.5 plastic tag. It was perfect after I replaced the gear box with a Z... I need to order bearings....

AL

unitedcases
09-03-2010, 09:26 PM
I agree, I wil stick with 250 hrs as well. The bearings are very cheap and no matter how well your seal that motor there is always dirt in it. Plus that is a very good time to see down in the machine from the top while dissambled. Also while you have the cogs apart that is a good time to check your tensioners to see if you have any built up dust that is really packed into the grooves. I keep a scribe in my carvewright tool box for such purposes.