PDA

View Full Version : Just over 9 Hours of Cutting and a Belt is walking

pmcpa
08-27-2010, 08:06 PM
What am I doing wrong!?!?! 9 Hours (and change) Sears (Rev B I Think) was brand new in the box (You don't want to know what I paid).

Back Belt is walking (Towards the LCD), it's off by about .5" now. Front looks fine.

Took the machine 4 attempts tonight to get the length right... kept overrunning and spitting the board out. Checked all Sensors, all within range.

I vacuum after every carve, check flex shaft temps, lube every bit inserted into the QC,I take care of my tools/toys, so what am I missing here?

fwharris
08-27-2010, 08:33 PM
What am I doing wrong!?!?! 9 Hours (and change) Sears (Rev B I Think) was brand new in the box (You don't want to know what I paid).

Back Belt is walking (Towards the LCD), it's off by about .5" now. Front looks fine.

Took the machine 4 attempts tonight to get the length right... kept overrunning and spitting the board out. Checked all Sensors, all within range.

I vacuum after every carve, check flex shaft temps, lube every bit inserted into the QC,I take care of my tools/toys, so what am I missing here?

Check your head leveling and pressure. Take the belt off and re install end for end ( belt could be different size on ends).

If the board is being kicked out your traction roller end need to be cleaned. You might have to take the ends off but try just woking the ends up and down while blowing air into the ends.

unitedcases
08-27-2010, 08:50 PM
If the machine is level and head pressure is good then you might want to rip about 1/2 inch off of the belt. Secondly if the head pressure is good then try a project with just one click or two. I know mine, no matter how much I lube that gear I still cant click it more than 3 times MAX.

pmcpa
08-27-2010, 09:08 PM
Machine is level is a poured basement floor can be (on top of a 4" rolling platform). So it's fairly on the bubble. I'm going to try some more projects and watch the belt. Not looking forward to taking the thing apart to get the belt off!

AskBud
08-27-2010, 09:32 PM
Machine is level is a poured basement floor can be (on top of a 4" rolling platform). So it's fairly on the bubble. I'm going to try some more projects and watch the belt. Not looking forward to taking the thing apart to get the belt off!
Let's back up!
How the unit sits in relation to the floor is not the question!
When we speak of the machine "Head" being level, we are talking about the rollers in the moving head being level with the sandpaper belts.
Check this thread for hints on how to check the "Head Level":
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?15961-Left-belt-moving-to-back-of-machine&p=135758#post135758
AskBud

Digitalwoodshop
08-27-2010, 11:09 PM
What I do..... Since I spend too much time typing on this keyboard.... I have a machine that the belt is creeping.... I have been running that machine for 4 days now making Craft Show Stuff.... I have had to "Tear" the belt 4 times.... About every 12 hours.... I take a pair of needle nose pliers and between the roller and the plate, I puncture the belt about 1/2 inch away from the brass roller side. I then rip the 1/2 inch strip and hand rotate the belts. I should really remove the belt tray and change the belt.... I will when I get caught up.... or I can't cut any more off....

Why does it Creep.....

I could just be a worn out belt....

It could be dust in the spring tray system....

It could be installing a board at a angle.....

It just happens... Replacing the belt takes care of it for a long time....

I think the route cause is for me using 6 inch boards and then the board is cranked down.... The Keyboard side of the belt is being smashed into the tray by the board. The other side gets little stress..... Like stretching Pizza Dough..... One side gets longer....

Good luck,

AL

pmcpa
08-28-2010, 07:06 AM
I think the route cause is for me using 6 inch boards and then the board is cranked down.... The Keyboard side of the belt is being smashed into the tray by the board. The other side gets little stress..... Like stretching Pizza Dough..... One side gets longer....

This would make since in my situation. Even though I only have 9 hours on it, I have run about 20 or so projects thru it, and they are all 3-6" wide, so yes, that side is more stressed.

Head Level, I'll read thru the post and go through some more troubleshooting tonight.

Digitalwoodshop
08-28-2010, 10:13 AM
I love Bud's quick head level check.... 2 Strips of paper one on each side of the board. Crank the head down and try to pull the paper out. If the head is not level then one side will pull out....

Good Job Ask Bud....

AL

pmcpa
08-28-2010, 08:00 PM
quick update... machine was having issues again today... Check Tracking Sensor, then spitting the board out.

Working with 1/4" stock on a 1/4" sled (=1/2" thick total)

I hit stop after I got a Check tracking sensor error on the measuring board after the 3rd attempt, and checked the sensors, it listed back roller was compressed, when there was no wood under it.

Cranked the top up one notch and it listed released. Re-inserted the board, didn't crank down till the clutch engaged this time, first time it measured the board and went to work!

Weird isn't it? Going to check the rollers level later tonight, needed to get this project out of the way!

AskBud
08-28-2010, 08:11 PM
quick update... machine was having issues again today... Check Tracking Sensor, then spitting the board out.

Working with 1/4" stock on a 1/4" sled (=1/2" thick total)

I hit stop after I got a Check tracking sensor error on the measuring board after the 3rd attempt, and checked the sensors, it listed back roller was compressed, when there was no wood under it.

Cranked the top up one notch and it listed released. Re-inserted the board, didn't crank down till the clutch engaged this time, first time it measured the board and went to work!

Weird isn't it? Going to check the rollers level later tonight, needed to get this project out of the way!
It is also possible that your stock, or sled, is slightly less than 1/4 inch. The unit is picky about the 1/2 minimum.

The false "Compressed" reading indicates that you have dust in the roller housing (on the keyboard side). As you blow out the area, work the roller up & down (use compressed air if you can, or reverse the flow on your vacuum).
AskBud

pmcpa
08-28-2010, 08:20 PM
I'll do that after this run. 9 Hours without a dust collection hood and I pay for it! No more.