PDA

View Full Version : Stallion Profile Weighted Bookends - Project of the Month

mtylerfl
08-27-2010, 06:03 PM
Hello,

Here is a preview of the next Project of the Month, the Stallion Profile Weighted Bookends. This is to provide a few details beforehand so subscribers will have time to "gather" the materials, etc. if they want to do this project.

This project features full 3D stallion/horsehead profiles on classic-styled, weighted bookend bases. Decorative and functional, these bookends are great for your own use or as items to sell or give as gifts! The finished dimensions of each bookend are approximately 7" tall x 4" wide x 6" deep. The horse head itself is about 2" wide at the widest point.

Each completed bookend weighs about 2½ pounds, for a nice quality “heft”.

The project requires no special bits and all components are carved and cut out with just the two standard bits that came with your machine.

Main items you will need:

1) The Project Files (included):
• Horsehead_Sections.mpc
• Bookend_Base.mpc
• Bookend_Backboard.mpc

2) Boards with the following dimensions:
Horseheads (two boards): .75" x 7" x 34"
Bases (one board): .75" x 9" x 19"
Backboards (one board): .75" x 11" x 14"

(NOTE: Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above, or if you are using a sled, you can subtract 7" from the length of the board and have the sled provide the extra 7" required)

3) Zinc-Plated Steel BB’s

4) Felt and Cork self-stick sheets

5) Wood Screws (four #6 x 1")

6) Sandpaper, drill, clamps, wood glue, epoxy glue, wood filler, wood stain and/or paint and clear finish

7) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Here’s what I used on my Stallion Profile Weighted Bookends I made from Select Pine wood:

Base:
• Minwax English Chestnut #233 stain
• three coats Krylon Clear Gloss Acrylic (spray can)
• two coats of Minwax water-based Satin polycrylic (brushed on), sanding with 400-grit wet/dry sandpaper between coats

Horse Heads:
• two coats of Krylon Ruddy Brown Primer, sanding between coats
• three coats of Krylon FUSION Brown Metallic Hammered Finish spray paint

Michael's Personal Notes About This Project Creation:
• The horse head was created based upon a full-scale hand-drawn sketch I made. I imported a graphic scan of my sketch into the Aspire software program (made by Vectric) as my guide during modeling. The horse relief model was created in two separate sections...the middle section is the horse mane relief and a plain/flat profile...the outer model section is of the face and neck detail relief. These two sections make one half of the horse profile. Gluing two halves (four sections) together yield the complete 3D horse head.

• The Base sections as well their classic decorative routes were also created in Aspire. The pocket cut out for each lower base section was done within the CarveWright Designer software itself.

• All the Aspire models were saved as STL files, then converted to CarveWright patterns using the CarveWright STL Importer.

• The Backboards for the bookends were simply the shape outline which was drawn in Aspire, then exported as a DXF file. Using the CarveWright DXF Importer, the backboard outline was placed into the CarveWright Designer software, copied and pasted into a new project so I had two of them on one board. I then applied a Cut Path to each backboard outline to complete the layout.

www.carvenow.com
08-27-2010, 06:14 PM
Very nice looking pieces.
HT

mtylerfl
08-27-2010, 06:36 PM
Thanks, HT!

Smoken D
08-27-2010, 06:45 PM
Cool, can't wait. Looks like you had a lot of computer fun time with this one. Got to play with the new programs?

Digitalwoodshop
08-27-2010, 07:54 PM
Excellent Work !!!

AL

Capt Bruce
08-27-2010, 10:03 PM
Very handsome design. Can't wait to carve the set. Thanks for the advance list of supplies and photos.

eelamb
08-28-2010, 07:46 AM
MT great looking project.

CarverJerry
08-28-2010, 07:57 AM
Look'n good Michael, can't wait to carve that one. All your projects have been great, and used all but one, can ya guess which one I didn't use since I'm bald? Ha Ha, Keep up the good work and thanks...

CarverJerry

mtylerfl
08-28-2010, 01:09 PM
Thank you, everyone. It is a fun project, and useful, too!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

CarverJerry, I know what you mean...I really didn't need the hair care project for myself either...but, at least my wife uses it!

TerryT
08-28-2010, 01:19 PM
Those are great, as usual Michael!

Fletcher
08-28-2010, 06:29 PM
NICE! I like your use of "layering" to show how a larger sculpted object can be made. Did you chop the horse head up with the STL importer or in Aspire before importing?

b.sumner47
08-28-2010, 07:41 PM
Good choice, different. Thanks, Michael. Capt Barry

mtylerfl
08-28-2010, 07:53 PM
NICE! I like your use of "layering" to show how a larger sculpted object can be made. Did you chop the horse head up with the STL importer or in Aspire before importing?

Hi Fletcher,

Thank you.

I could not use any slicing features for this relief model. I actually had to model the two sections separately (for one half of the horse) in order to keep a space between the ears, as well as get the complete carve of the horse mane where the ears are located. Otherwise, if I modeled each half section as one piece, then sliced it, there would be a solid uncarved area on each side of the mane.

Now that it's all finished, it seems so simple, but I actually took a couple days to think through the strategy before I began modeling...i.e., I needed to figure out how best to taper the widest part of the horse base, through the neck, continuing around to the muzzle, yet maintain a good spot to divide the side half, while keeping the full mane able to carve and leaving the space between the ears.

I'll add a couple pics of Aspire screenshots showing the horse model sections...

rickyz
06-26-2011, 09:36 PM
I am curious about where to purchase this project. looked in the carvewright projects and couldn't find it. where can I get it and how much? thanks.

mtylerfl
06-26-2011, 10:08 PM
I am curious about where to purchase this project. looked in the carvewright projects and couldn't find it. where can I get it and how much? thanks.

Hi Rickyz,

Hmmm - that should be in the Project Store alright. Someone must have forgotten to put it in there! Hopefully, it will be placed in the store soon - sorry 'bout that! (I do not know what the price will be.)

rickyz
07-07-2011, 11:23 PM
50.00? ouch!