PDA

View Full Version : Y motor Grease?

unitedcases
08-26-2010, 11:36 PM
Alright guys, I got my Y motor apart to change out the bearings. 3 Questions, 1. What kind of grease to lube it back up with? 2. What does anyone recommend to seal the clear cover back on with? 3. Does the Z motor have the same bearings in it at the top cog as well? Thanks Guys.

Digitalwoodshop
08-27-2010, 12:43 AM
This has been discussed and the gears are plastic or nylon so there is no danger of solvent in the grease from giving you problems with making the gears soft.

The grease was green brown on my setup. I used some molly grease I bought but any grease will work in my opinion.

As for sealing the clear plastic cover.... I used scotch clear tape.....

Yes, the Z is the same.... I have used the old Z gear boxes to replace the Y. But it won't work the other day as it needs the screw hole for the spring loaded screw.

AL

unitedcases
08-27-2010, 11:07 AM
So do or dont replace the bearings in the Z motor? I bought a pack of 10 and they are dirt cheap. So changing them isnt a big deal.

Digitalwoodshop
08-27-2010, 12:06 PM
You can change them..... But the Y takes the most abuse....

If you have them.... change them..... I bet it makes a difference in Z Quality if you have 1K hours like me.... I still need to order a 10 pack.

So far I have been swapping gear boxes from old Z's.

Keep an eye on the Y idle pully... I have replaced 3 so far... The wobble when worn... For the price I will start replacing them with the bearings.

AL

unitedcases
08-27-2010, 12:31 PM
Good call, I went ahead and changed the Z ones too. If nothing else it was a excuse to clean out the gears and regrease them and blow out the Z encoder. Plus it is just good to have a constant time frame of when I am going to do it. While I was working on the Y axis I went ahead and dissambled the Y idle pulley and regreased it just a bit. I am going to add that to my 250 regime. I am going to assume they are cheap and I will probably order a few when I order more cut brushes. Nothing to carve right now because I promised someone I would take a couple weeks off. I will still plan some stuff in designer though and I am going to carve my squadron clock I designed very soon. Thanks for the help Al.

CarverJerry
08-28-2010, 08:05 AM
I'm taking that both the y and the z use the same bearings? Where do you buy these 10 packs at? I don't even have my first 250 hours yet but getting close, I ordered 2 sets of brushes and extra traction belts, and now thinking maybe I should have some of these bearings. Thanks

CJ

Digitalwoodshop
08-28-2010, 10:09 AM
To buy LOCAL use the following Cross Reference Numbers for the 5 mm x 11 mm x 5 mm with metal shield.

NSK Brand - 685ZZ

KOYO Brand - W685ZZ

NMB Brand - L-1150ZZ

Once the shaft is worn thin replacing the bearings will still let the shaft wobble.

If you have a old Z Motor from the Z bundle Upgrade the gear box will swap....

If the shaft is worn thin up at the plastic gear, even new bearings will cause a wobble....

This is a Wake Up call to EVERY CARVER.... ORDER SOME BEARINGS and replace them at a minimum after the first set of cut motor brushes.... 250 + hours..... Preventive Maintenance....

I believe the Y Bearings are the most stressed in the system and need attention BEFORE they fail...

I would order the Y idle pulley too from LHR to have on hand. I have replaced 4 so far.

AL

unitedcases
09-02-2010, 09:34 PM
Al, is this what you mean when you say Y idle pulley, "Y-belt tensioner asy"? This is what the breakdown online calls it on the Sears website. I assumed before that you were talking about the pulley that sits to the other end of the machine. The non keypad side. Sears has them listed for 12.99 a piece.

Digitalwoodshop
09-03-2010, 09:21 AM
That's it..... You might try the Z Return pulley as it might be cheaper.... Same thing.... With no metal....

AL

unitedcases
09-03-2010, 09:19 PM
When I originally took the "Y assy" apart, the tensioner was very tight to turn. I removed the lockkey and applied just a tad of white lithium grease. It didnt appear to be worn at all, just no lube whatsoever. I think I may just grease it every 250 when I change the bearings and see how that works.

Digitalwoodshop
09-03-2010, 09:30 PM
I lost the C clip on one... It didn't have a problem.... Tracked great....

Good Job on the Y Return assembly...

I talk a good talk but I really need to follow my own advice.... Time.... I am still in the Shop at 10:30 PM on a Friday Night.... Not a shining example of a Retired Navy Chief..... I should know all the ladies in the Local Pub by there First Names..... Getting Old.... Like the 2 Bull's on a hillside looking down at the Heard... One tells the other... Lets RUN down there and ..... The Older one said.... Lets WALK.... LOL.....

unitedcases
09-03-2010, 09:37 PM
When I originally removed the clip I couldnt find where I put it. So I stripped a bread tie and tried that. Just as soon as I got the machine back together I found it. SO I took it back apart and put it on. A job worth doing is worth doing well I guess.

Hear that, I am taking the weekend off because next week I start my big order I just got. A guy wants alot of coin racks and luckily I am caught up on machine work. I am planning to build my hush box between now and the next time I start it up again.