PDA

View Full Version : 15 pin port on back of Carvewright

STEAM
08-24-2010, 08:21 PM
Today is the first time I noticed the port on the back of the carvewright. I had the bottom off for cleaning and noticed it coming off the flash card housing. Is it for programming and service or is it possibly for a future feature?

www.carvenow.com
08-24-2010, 08:52 PM
I heard someone said that it is for future use where you can connect one CW to another and another making a long chain of many machines that can carve 1 project at the same time (hint cut down the board measuring time) :).
Sorry, I'm just kidding. I have no idea what it's for. Maybe for programing or testing the functionality of the machine before shipped?
HT

Digitalwoodshop
08-24-2010, 10:02 PM
It is part of the computer housing.... I believe LHR uses it to flash the firmware with things like the Serial Number and to remotely monitor the unit much like I was able to do with Omron PLC's or Program Logic Controllers at Sony. Monitor switch conditions and things like the RPM Sensor. At least that is my WAG.... Wild A** Guess

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ladder_logic

AL

STEAM
08-25-2010, 04:18 AM
That's what I kinda figured it was. I did something simular at my last job. Thanks for the info. That is more of an educated guess than a WAG. Now if we can use Carvenow's idea we can turn it into a "Borg" carver for the good of the Collective!

lynnfrwd
08-25-2010, 10:39 AM
I heard someone said that it is for future use where you can connect one CW to another and another making a long chain of many machines that can carve 1 project at the same time. Sorry, I'm just kidding. I have no idea what it's for. Maybe for programing or testing the functionality of the machine before shipped?
HT

You sure had me going for a minute....I'm going "WHAT!?!" I do however like the idea of a "long chain of many machines"!!! ;)

atauer
08-25-2010, 10:49 AM
Al is pretty darn close with his answer. It is for calibration purposes, and for monitoring purposes at the factory.

A chain of Carvewright's....

Hmmmmm.

Not sure if I like that idea. With that many machines threaded together, and with each one of them having a "brain" telling it what to do, I would be too afraid of them rising up against the carver...

RMarkey
08-25-2010, 12:17 PM
Thanks Alex. The answer is NO to all the wild ideas. It is also used in conjunction with the ToolTalker.

atauer
08-25-2010, 12:29 PM
Thanks Alex. The answer is NO to all the wild ideas. It is also used in conjunction with the ToolTalker.

I had actually forgotten about the Tool Talker. BTW, I have never actually seen it in action.

Digitalwoodshop
08-25-2010, 12:57 PM
I will then name my 1st machine "Christine" after the Car Movie when I install the Tool Talker....

AL

RMarkey
08-26-2010, 09:01 AM
If you haven't heard the tooltalker, then have a listen:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ra55elsn24j7j4e/CWSpeakAdvert.wav

Oh and also, there's nothing much to "see". That's the whole point! :)

AskBud
08-26-2010, 11:07 AM
In case you have not seen the PR, I'll attach the Zipped DOC here.
AskBud