PDA

View Full Version : Still scratching my head?

davidnb
08-23-2010, 07:40 PM
:confused:As posted previously, I appear to have no power, no LCD display, no keypad response, no clue! Out of warranty, model CW.01.01 Many hours of happy carving! Recently replaced power supply & upgraded to CT. Also installed a vacuum attachment of my own design the morning it died.(acrylic & wood) As my old power supply would give me an LCD display, I reinstalled it and it also would now not give me a display. To me, that eliminated the power supply as the source of the problem. Checked & rechecked all wiring & connectors. Unplugged them, cleaned them, did continuity tests on major power supply lines & switches. (Power & cover) Tech support told me that a bad controller box would still give me an LCD display(all sq boxes) so this seems to rule that out. I ordered & installed a new side control panel/LCD display & still nothing. AS I had completed a carve & turned off the vacuum just previous to the CW dying, I realize that static discharge probably zapped something, BUT WHAT?? Any help will be greatly appreciated as I was in the middle of a job that I was doing in exchange for my rent!

Digitalwoodshop
08-23-2010, 09:50 PM
If you did not run ground wires like I did with 3 gator clips on each end, CW and Dust Collector you more than likely killed the computer....

And your LCD Dimmer is set to the mid position.....?

I would box up the computer and power supply and LCD and send them to LCD for testing.... OR.... find a machine near you where you can swap one part at a time looking for the bad part....

AL

davidnb
08-24-2010, 09:20 AM
That's what I was thinking untill tech told me the LCD would still show a display. It doesn't seem like the computer(controller box) is sending any info to the LCD. I have tried adjusting the contrast(LCD dimmer) up & down. No display, no way! I would appreciate a diagram of your grounding set-up. AS this is such a big issue it would be great if someone "in the know" would write an article on the proper contruction & use of a dust collection system. I only find "bits & pieces" on the issue (& rather vague) after searching through many posts. Should be a link on LHR's home pg! Untill I read many forum posts I didn't realize the vacuum would be an issue so I didn't even mention it to tech when I spoke to them. I think their 1st question to users should be, "are you using a vacuum or dust collection attachment?"
I live & travel full time in our motorhome & take my hobby with me, so sending the machine back to LHR is not a convenient solution. No place to keep the packaging & not in one place long enough.

Digitalwoodshop
08-24-2010, 11:13 AM
I use a length of insulated copper wire and have 3 gator clips on each end. I clip one end on 3 places on my dust collector. The other end clip on the foil dryer hose I use and the roll around metal cart and the other on the out feed tray.

One day I had the one on my out feed tray pop off and I saw little lightning bolts go from the dust collector and the bit..... From static electricity caused by the flow if dust through the hose.

AL

davidnb
08-24-2010, 05:53 PM
Thanks Al, that gives me a starting point. As for the CW, I've ordered all the major components & cables. Will try them 1 by 1 untill I get the right combination. The rest will become spare parts.