PDA

View Full Version : questions before purchase

Hippie
08-23-2010, 11:29 AM
Hey guys, I was interested in the CompuCarve when I first saw the ads for it from Sears. Recently, I have come into an opportunity that I may take advantage of, but wanted to get some input on. A friend of mine owns an ecclectic shop where she sells her own art and various other items like jewelry boxes and such. My main question is how much will I need to invest into the CarveWright to make jewelry boxes & detailed picture frames? Will it be able to do this right out of the box, or must I invest in more bits as well? Also, how important is the warrantee, and does it cover wear items such as the flexline, friction belts and such?
The whole idea for this started when I was talking to the same friend about finishing ideas for her new studio. My suggestion was to wrap the posts on the farmers porch with something more decorative, then I described the CompuCarve to her, and now comes the possibilities of turning a marginal profit from this. We live in a seasonal tourist area, with art colonies, so there could be more demand for the frames particularly. I am still just researching this, so I haven't spoken to her yet about what a reasonable price for custom framing is, nor the jewelry boxes, but was wondering if anyone else here is finding it profitable. As of this writing, this would not be a fulltime gig, but rather something that could hopefully evolve into one.
Thanks, Hippie

earlyrider
08-23-2010, 11:58 PM
The capitol outlay for the machine and accessories ranges from $1500 to $2000, and is actually the smaller part of your investment. While you can carve some things early on, there is a learning curve. Those born with a computer in their hand may find the curve brief, but others, like me, require a substantial investment of time. An off season would be the best time to learn the program and the mechanics of the machine, and work through the user error stage without the pressure of needing a product immediately.
Carvings for jewelry box lids and sides, and humidores, and frames could be limitless, and add a great creative dimension to her studio.
You should also have an assortment of other woodworking tools also- table saw, radial arm or miter saw, joiner, planer, etc.
It is recommended you buy a new machine, as it will include the warranty ( and be the newest generation "C"model). Read through the manuals, the tutorials and other threads here and you will have a good education.
Ron

TIMCOSBY
08-24-2010, 01:17 AM
welcome to the forum and yes the two bits that come with the machine should suffice for most anything you want to do.

lynnfrwd
08-24-2010, 08:49 AM
Welcome to the CarveWright forum. The basic system is $1599.99. A discounted warranty is available at time of purchase and is recommended for the first year. There is as stated a learning curve, but there are also materials (5 Step-by-Step Design Projects (http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/designertutorials.htm)) that will quickly help you get over the hump. Design Project #5 is for a side of a box, but do at least 1, 2 & 3, first to get the hang of it.

The Version C does have the CarveTight Spindle and is recommended. The basic carving & cutting bit is included. Get at least one extra of each to have on hand if one breaks, so you won't have down time.

There are 3 warranty options now, I'd at least go for the one year warranty. The biggest advantage is the unlimited phone support for any questions you may have while you are learning. There are consumable parts that are not included, such as the flexshaft, bits, sandpaper traction belts. See warranty policy for exact details here (http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/cwwarranty.htm). I compare it to a car, from time to time you need to change the tires, spark plugs, filters.

Also like a car, you need to maintain it...with a car you add gas, oil, air in the tires and have gauges to measure temperature & water levels...with the CW you need to lubricate it, check the head pressure, monitor that it doesn't overheat (flex) & clean it religiously. We have customers with at or approaching 1000 carving hours on their machines.

The full bit set has 11 additional bits, such as routing, v-bits, ball nose, etc. You could use a router for straight edges, but the CW is recommended with unusual shapes. I would suggest that you may want the Centerline text for a third way of using text in your projects. You will want the 60 & 90 degree v-bits for this.

I hope we have answered your questions, but if you have more, please call us at 713-473-6572. Ask for sales and I will be happy to help you out.

hess
08-24-2010, 11:37 AM
I have 3 units and yes the were some issues for awhile but think the bugs are going. I have very little/ none ability to make pats one very helpful program is the PE program that will come with the scanner it will do much more that I can ever do with it

Would most defenately get a Rock ot Carve tight unit it will save lots of fustation