PDA

View Full Version : What are the computer system requirements for the software?

carvewright
12-12-2006, 11:14 AM
The minimum system requirements are: PC running Windows 2000 or XP with 128 MB Ram (256 MB or greater recommended), 75 MB of hard drive space and an accelerated graphics card with OpenGL support.

CW Rookie
12-15-2006, 10:15 AM
Was wondering if anyone had recommendations for the "ideal" graphics card to use for the CW SW?? I haven't used my system yet but loaded the SW on a loaner laptop (Lenovo Z60m) which seems to work OK but not sure if I'd be able to fully utilize the current, and soon-to-be released, SW packages without a better 3d graphics card.

I'll be purchasing either a laptop or desktop system, should I get one with a Nvidia Quadro, Nvidia GeForce, or ATI Fire GL graphics card or is this overkill?? Will an integrated graphics card work??

Anxious to start using the system!!

:D

Matthew
12-15-2006, 07:52 PM
The Quadro and FireGL are probably overkill for this type of work. These work well with mid-range and high-end CAD/CAE systems. I'd recommend sticking with any of the GeForce's or ATI Radeon or ATI X* cards. An integrated graphics card may work just fine, but I'd recommend aiming for something a little higher up the pole. Stick with something that you know has OpenGL and DirectX 9 or later support, which is any of the current ATI or Nvidia cards.
I'm currently using a 128MB ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon 9600 and it runs just fine. If you were routinely running a CAD system like SolidWorks, Inventor, I-DEAS or UG NX, then the upgrade might be worth it. I've run all of these CAD systems on my Radeon machine and most small models have good performance.
Use the money you save on buying the CarveWright scanner!

Good Luck!
Matthew

CW Rookie
12-15-2006, 08:25 PM
Saving some $$ sounds like a plan, but may end up using it for supplies - I already have the scanning probe at the top of my wish list for Santa :wink: