PDA

View Full Version : Designer let me pierce the front and back

backwashbob
08-21-2010, 11:40 PM
I am working with a two-sided design. I applied a rectangle and pierced the piece. I copied the rectangle, flipped the piece applied the pattern then the rectangle. The CW did what it was supposed to do. It carved the back, which because it had a rectangle with pierce applied, it carved all of the area away. When I flipped it, the CW had difficulty reading the width as the wood had been cut away. How can I fool the CW in its measuring?

liquidguitars
08-22-2010, 12:00 AM
place the wood off center in the machine.

bergerud
08-22-2010, 01:07 AM
or use a few layers of masking tape across the hole where the sensor is.

AskBud
08-22-2010, 08:03 AM
I am working with a two-sided design. I applied a rectangle and pierced the piece. I copied the rectangle, flipped the piece applied the pattern then the rectangle. The CW did what it was supposed to do. It carved the back, which because it had a rectangle with pierce applied, it carved all of the area away. When I flipped it, the CW had difficulty reading the width as the wood had been cut away. How can I fool the CW in its measuring?
I would suggest you reverse your design. Interchange the front and back carvings, so the pierce is completed on the front. This will, also, give a more firm surface for the carve on the 2nd side.
AskBud

backwashbob
08-22-2010, 09:39 AM
I tried placing the piece off-center - no joy. I faked out the sensor with masking tape. Redoing the piece wasn't a good option. Walnut is expensive and the carving took four hours. Since the front and back were mirror images, it wasn't a big deal that when I replaced the taped up piece and started over, it carved the back again.

Thank you all for the tips and advice. The machine did what it was supposed to do. I regret that I had to fake it out. However, it's nice that the option is there.

The piece is a Celtic Cross, suspended in a frame. I will post images when done. I have three more pieces to go: a Celtic knot, a Claddagh, and a Celtic circle. All suspended in an 8-inch frame.

Now...cleaning up. The bit has adhesive on it from cutting through the tape. Plus, there's little bits of tape all over the place.

Lesson learned.

Pratyeka
08-31-2010, 06:17 AM
once the machine has taken the measurements, you can stop the machine and take the tape off.