PDA

View Full Version : y axis error

08-21-2010, 12:31 PM
When I get everything set up and ready to go, the 1/16" carving bit wont spin when it starts to carve the pattern and it makes a horrible noise. Anyone have a solution to this problem

DocWheeler
08-21-2010, 04:54 PM
There are a lot of things that come to mind, a little more information would be helpful.
If you will, count the number of conductors in the flat cable going to the Y truck (14 - 18).
If there are 18 conductors, get a new Z-pack.

Check the right cover switch; this feeds the cut-motor.

I recall several "horrible" noises from my machine so I can't comment on that. Does it sound like a "stalled" motor? Is it a "thumping"?

Digitalwoodshop
08-21-2010, 05:28 PM
Do you hear the cut motor start up? Could be the flex shaft could be loose on the cut motor end.

AL

08-22-2010, 10:17 AM
The flex shaft was the first thing I checked and it ended up being tucked into the tubing so I took the whole thing out, fixed it and the sound became better but the bit still wouldnt turn. The motor seems to work it just seems that there isnt enough pressure coming in to spin the bit.

08-22-2010, 10:21 AM
At first it sounded like a thumping noise but once I fixed the flex shaft it became more of a high pressure sound. I dont even have 100 hours of use on the machine so I wouldnt think the bearings are going out quite yet.

Digitalwoodshop
08-22-2010, 10:59 AM
Remove the Flex from the QC End and pull the flex shaft out and inspect it. It could be broken in half.... I have had one snap.

When you remove the flex from the QC End you should be able to see about 3/4 inch of exposed inner flex.

You should be able to turn the shaft and still be able to feel the Resistance of the motor.

Did you STRIP the Square in the top of the Z Truck? I stripped one a few years ago.

AL

08-22-2010, 01:01 PM
I have the machine now to were it sounds normal but the bit still wont turn. I twisted the flex shaft around back and forth and the bit turns with the shaft when I physically twist it but not when it is testing the bit or in carving phase

Digitalwoodshop
08-22-2010, 01:31 PM
There have been a few reported cases of the outer rubber coming out of the hard plastic fixture that plugs into the cut motor. When this happens the outer rubber flex shaft makes the inner flex shaft too SHORT to engage into the QC Square drive. With the Flex plugged into the motor and removed from the QC end, HOW Long is the core? Should be about 3/4 inch. Less then it may not engage into the square drive.... Speaking of the square drive.... Did you round it out.......?

AL

Deolman
08-22-2010, 02:07 PM
Use the Cut Sensor check and spin the chuck by hand. No count on the display would more than likely mean the flexshaft is not connected to the motor.