PDA

View Full Version : New QC Wabbles

swobee
08-21-2010, 08:59 AM
I recently had to replace my QC because it would no longer accept new bits. There were no other probems with the machine at the time except for this specific issue. My replacement QC arrived from SEARS under my master protection plan agreement (has proven to be a worthy investment!) and after some struggle getting the old chuck off, I thoroughly cleaned the spindle threads, applied some blue threadlock, and my new QC spun on beautifully. This is when I noticed a drastic difference in the new QC from the original. It appears the collar that seats inside the spindle is positioned much higher on the new QC. This causes the body of the QC to sit far lower than the 'less than two quarters' spacing from the Z-truck assemly designated in the Carvewright manual. I took the QC on and off several times, recleaned the threads both on the spindle, and on the QC. Each time the QC spun on beautifully and without resistance, but hit a definite seat far below the desired position. I figured this would cause a definite fail in the bit depth check when running up the machine, but having no other ideas I ran it up, and to my surprise everything checked out. I went forward with carving a pattern but noticed immediately there is excessive rattle when the spindle engages. I shut the machine down and checked for play in the QC, spindle, Z-truck- all tight. Next, I slowly spun the QC by hand with bit installed. Here I noticed the bit did not rotate on its own center axis- the tip draws a small circle rather than rotating in place on its point. This condition was present with 3 of 3 bits tried. I have attached pictures of the two QC's. The new QC is always on the left. My first suspicion is that the new QC is defective. Has anyone seen this or have any other suspicions as to the problem before I request a new QC?

http://forum.carvewright.com/images/misc/pencil.png

henry1
08-21-2010, 10:21 AM
I recently had to replace my QC because it would no longer accept new bits. There were no other probems with the machine at the time except for this specific issue. My replacement QC arrived from SEARS under my master protection plan agreement (has proven to be a worthy investment!) and after some struggle getting the old chuck off, I thoroughly cleaned the spindle threads, applied some blue threadlock, and my new QC spun on beautifully. This is when I noticed a drastic difference in the new QC from the original. It appears the collar that seats inside the spindle is positioned much higher on the new QC. This causes the body of the QC to sit far lower than the 'less than two quarters' spacing from the Z-truck assemly designated in the Carvewright manual. I took the QC on and off several times, recleaned the threads both on the spindle, and on the QC. Each time the QC spun on beautifully and without resistance, but hit a definite seat far below the desired position. I figured this would cause a definite fail in the bit depth check when running up the machine, but having no other ideas I ran it up, and to my surprise everything checked out. I went forward with carving a pattern but noticed immediately there is excessive rattle when the spindle engages. I shut the machine down and checked for play in the QC, spindle, Z-truck- all tight. Next, I slowly spun the QC by hand with bit installed. Here I noticed the bit did not rotate on its own center axis- the tip draws a small circle rather than rotating in place on its point. This condition was present with 3 of 3 bits tried. I have attached pictures of the two QC's. The new QC is always on the left. My first suspicion is that the new QC is defective. Has anyone seen this or have any other suspicions as to the problem before I request a new QC?

Go this web site and get these new one no more vibration and cut down 1/2 the noise I know have been there easeir on the machine
Ron Justice
www.cw-parts.com (http://www.cw-parts.com/)

liquidguitars
08-21-2010, 11:03 AM
yes agreed replace it with the new CT or Rock! running the old QC is like having wooden wheels on a dirt bike.

swobee
08-21-2010, 12:19 PM
I have had my eye on the Rock Chuck. It is just hard to justify while I have free replacement of the QC for four more years and it has given me no other issue until this one gave out. Anybody have specific knowledge of the QC? Based on my attached pictures, I would like to know if the difference is normal, or if it represents a defect in the new QC.

bergerud
08-22-2010, 12:57 AM
The QC you got from Sears is not the same as the Carvewright QC. I have bought these on ebay before as part of an adapter kit for Craftsman routers. The only differece is the height of the sleeve. If you grind it down, it will work. As it is, it will stop the QC from threading all the way onto the spindle and it will wobble because the inside of the spindle where the sleeve hits is not true. The bottom of the spindle must tighten up against the inside of the QC. Beware, however, the quality control on these chucks is poor. Sometimes the sleeve is too small and sometimes the threads are not true. I have had to mix and match parts to get a true chuck. Sometimes you can tighten and retighten until you get lucky and it runs true. Good luck.

AskBud
08-22-2010, 08:10 AM

It's obvious, from the 1st photo, that Sear's sent the wrong chuck. As others have said, Sear's has a similar chuck for routers. Perhaps you, or Sear's, neglected to confirm the part number.

You could re-order the correct chuck, or better yet, take the machine to Sear's and have it sent to Garland Texas (shop# 8047) for repair. Be sure to include a note telling of the mix-up (problem).
AskBud

swobee
08-22-2010, 03:06 PM
That seems like a logical answer. Dang! The PN I have is A005-00033. Are you saying this is correct, but they sent a similar chuck meant for a different tool, or do I need a different PN for the CompuCarve? Thanks to all for the help!

AskBud
08-22-2010, 03:18 PM
That seems like a logical answer. Dang! The PN I have is A005-00033. Are you saying this is correct, but they sent a similar chuck meant for a different tool, or do I need a different PN for the CompuCarve? Thanks to all for the help!
That is the correct part number, however, as you see the new and old do not look the same on the threaded end.

To me, it would be worth the time, to have them replace the part in their shop. Turn around is about 2 weeks, and they test it out as well.
AskBud

swobee
08-22-2010, 08:57 PM
I ground down the collar on the new QC as suggested, reinstalled it, and the machine runs beautifully again (after tightening up the Z truck which was apparently loosened by all the vibration from my last run). I think I'll go with this setup for now and have SEARS ship me the correct QC. I may be ponying up the cash for a Rock sooner than expected after this little event. Thanks for all the help and great suggestions.

swobee
08-25-2010, 10:34 AM
New chuck broke! Rock, here I come!

lynnfrwd
08-25-2010, 10:45 AM
There is also the CarveTight!! We are getting excellent feedback from our customers.

swobee
08-28-2010, 03:37 PM
I received my replacement QC from SEARS, having thoroughly explained what happened on the first order, and it is the same part as they sent me the first time with the extended collar. I don't know if they are having issues with their vendors mixing the parts or what. Hopefully my Rock Chuck comes soon and I can forget about the whole deal.

CarverJerry
08-29-2010, 07:43 AM
Compaired to the QC, the Rock is so much better. I love my Rock and I have heard that the CT is also very good. Both are almost exactly the same concept except the CT includes a complete spindle assy. Both will make such a big difference and will save your machine from shaking it's self apart.

CJ

bjbethke
08-29-2010, 12:53 PM
I received my replacement QC from SEARS, having thoroughly explained what happened on the first order, and it is the same part as they sent me the first time with the extended collar. I don't know if they are having issues with their vendors mixing the parts or what. Hopefully my Rock Chuck comes soon and I can forget about the whole deal.

You may need to contact LHR to get your money back that may be the new replacement for the CW Machine. I have some Sears QC's for hand held routers; they have a different mounting system. I use one on the router I use for my Legacy Ornamental Mill; I use it because it extends the bit reach. It uses a ½ inch shaft.