PDA

View Full Version : cut motor sw problems

myshop1044
08-19-2010, 06:12 PM
I finally had my cut motor sw go out this afternoon. it want spin the bit after inserting it into the chuck.
I installed a new one I have had for some time,I keep extras just in case, the new one want spin the bit either.
I taped the sw in the closed position and by passed the lid sw for testing .
Still nothing, it goes thru the routine just find, but want spin the bit.
What else can I check for, the shoes clamps that connect to the sw seem to be tight.
Is there a way to by pass the cm sw. to do more testing. can a volt meter be put btwn the shoes to check voltage?
Any help would be great.

myshop

mtylerfl
08-19-2010, 06:58 PM
I finally had my cut motor sw go out this afternoon.
myshop

Took me a few minutes to figure out the "sw" was for the word "switch"! When I see the abbreviation "sw", I always think "software". I couldn't figure out what in the world "cut motor software" was!

Anyway, go ahead and order a new switch from LHR, or take the old one in to your local Radio Shack/electronics store to see if they have one to match it up with. I recall at least one person mentioning he found one there.

Digitalwoodshop
08-19-2010, 08:32 PM
OK, MT has you on the right track but I have a few other things to do before you order that switch.... It may be GOOD....

First things first...

Under the machine is the X Termination Board... It has a C1 Capacitor and if you have had a QC for a time, the vibration makes the Lolly pop looking Capacitor vibrate and snap off. See the picture..... Someone posted that the Q1 Transistor right next to it had a broken leg once too.... Q1 the Transistor is just a SWITCH, IN and OUT on the outside pins and activated by control voltage to the center lead. A Relay would be another way to describe it.... But we have all heard the cut motor change speed..... It is done via the Transistor.... So it is a Variable On OFF switch....

SO when the C1 Cap goes bad and snaps off... Either the Cut Motor will not turn on or the cut motor will turn on BY ITSELF just by opening and closing the clear cover.... On my 4 machines, 3 have gone bad before I got a ROCK...

Second... It is possible the FIRST Motor went bad as the Cut Motor Brushes have gotten TOO SHORT to run the motor.... Over 250 Cut Motor Hours or about 280....

The Replacement Motor.... Go back and double check the wires as Black comes in and goes to the BLACK of the Motor. White comes from the X Termination Board and goes to either black or white of the cut motor safety switch. Back out of the safety switch and into the white wire of the cut motor.

IT IS POSSIBLE that since you replaced the motor that you did not get the wires tucked back into the back right corner of the top cover. I HAVE HAD the wires catch on the Z Motor Fins and UNPLUG a connector on the return trip for the bit Plate....

It is possible that your Cut Motor was Shipped WITHOUT Cut Motor Brushes...... Check....

It is possible the Cut Motor is BAD....

It is possible the X Termination Board is BAD... I actually got a bad one from LHR once.... C1 was good.... board bad... So other things can go bad with the X Termination Board.

Good Luck...

Get Stumped let me know.... email, PM or Call...

AL the "Happy Maytag Repairman"....

myshop1044
08-21-2010, 07:19 AM
Thanks Al for all that good info. I did take a look at the lolly pop cap and it looked good , not broken, I also checked the switch with a ohm meter and the switch had connective. I then removed one side and the top of the cw and check the connections from the switch to the motor. After putting in all back the machine worked very well again. I must have tighten up one of the connection some how while looking around the machine. Well I'm only 2 hrs away from LHR and it is cheeper to bring the machine to them and have them check in out next time it happens than mail it to them.

Thanks again
One other thing since I put the "Dust Insert" on my machine I have had a bout 8 or 9 months of trouble free carving. I believe CW needs to address the dust removal problem like they did the chuck problem.

Myshop

mtylerfl
08-21-2010, 07:56 AM
Hello Perry,

Glad you got the problem sorted out! Great work. Sometimes it's the simple stuff (loose connection) that throws us a curve.

As far as the CW and dust collection...awhile back I talked to them about that. So far, a "factory-authorized" dust collection system is elusive...not that an effective one cannot be made (it's already been done by Frederick and others)...it's keeping the UL approval on the CW that is the problem. Static electricity not properly "taken care of" by the user presents a variable that UL was not comfortable with. So for the time being it's up to the user to make, and take responsibility for, their own dust collection devices.