PDA

View Full Version : Camera software to watch your machine remotely...

Fletcher
08-18-2010, 04:37 PM
Hey Folks,

I don't know how many of you have a computer in the shop/garage, or close by but I found something really cool. I have a PC in my garage that is networked with my office in the basement, my wife's office upstairs, and wireless to my laptop as well. I found this FREE software that allows me to hook up a webcam to the garage computer and it broadcasts video(16fps) over my local network. Now I can check on my machines from anywhere in the house. As I type this I have a small browser window opened up to the side with a live feed of my machine running - this rocks! With some fiddling, you can have it broadcast on the internet as well - check on your CW from anywhere on the planet(of course there wouldn't be much you could do from Europe somewhere if it crashes but still cool no-less)!

This is so cool that I had to share! The software is called "Webcamxp" and is available here... http://www.webcamxp.com/home.aspx

Cheers,
Fletch

WRW
08-18-2010, 06:30 PM
I agree, great idea, I use a axis web cam to do the same thing.(no computer required in shop, although I do have one there so I can watch the office door when I am in the shop)

CarverJerry
08-19-2010, 05:41 AM
that's cool, thanks for sharing, think I'm gonna give it a try since I put my machine in an old fruit cellar in the basement for my sound proofing, even tho there are windows in the door this will make it nice as I can go upstairs and not have to worry.

CJ

Fletcher
08-19-2010, 02:42 PM
No prob CJ - enjoy! Next step is to be able to watch from my Blackberry... Should work with the internet feed, but it takes a bit more to set that up. Gotta look into it when I get a chance though!

Fletcher
08-19-2010, 02:45 PM
I agree, great idea, I use a axis web cam to do the same thing.(no computer required in shop, although I do have one there so I can watch the office door when I am in the shop)

Cool, I was looking at those too but I already had an unused webcam just sitting here collecting dust - we all know how that is with a CW around! Are there wireless cameras like yours available?

Fletcher
08-19-2010, 02:49 PM
Another added benefit is that you can see when the machine is finished - if you can't hear it that is. This could save a bit of time if you are running multiple pieces.

Haha, there is also the wear and tear factor on my garage door opener because I'm not running out there every 10 minutes anymore.

SteveEJ
08-19-2010, 05:34 PM
I have a Linksys IP Camera. Reburb off Ebay. 90$. Wired or Wireless and easy setup. Remote viewing software. Audio and Video. Great stuff. WVC54GCA-RM (Re-manufactured). IP Camera will not require a PC.

Pratyeka
08-20-2010, 08:31 AM
I have a Cisco WVC210, it's pan-tilt-zoom with two-way audio. Using it to monitor outside the house, wi-fi on the home network and accessible via web address from anywhere, very cool, $200 and up depending where you get it.