PDA

View Full Version : Board Sensor Problems???

bernieb
08-18-2010, 11:11 AM
I recently acquired a used machine and am trying to get it to work. Keep getting "Clear Board Sensor" errors and "can't find edge" error 400. Sensor readings are only between 50's and 70's and dropped to 40's when I put a piece of white paper on top of board. I have cleaned the sensor many times with no results. Any suggestions??

dbfletcher
08-18-2010, 11:15 AM
When cleaning have you tried to remove the clear plastic window to clean behind it? In the early units this was not really sealed so fine dust had a way of getting behind the lense. I dont recommend this for all, but on mine i just completely removed the window and have not had a lick of trouble since.

Also if you remove the window you can see if one of the two leds emitter leds has broke off. Other have found one rattling around in the housing. If you have a video camera, while youhave the sensor unmmounted but still connected, you can do to sensor check, point the video camera at the sesnor and you will see the IR leds in the camera. They shouldl be glowing bright white on the video camera screen. We can not see IR light, but almost all video cameras have no problem with that wave length. (most new digitial still cameras also have the this ability as well if they have a lcd screen that can be used as the viewfinder)

Digitalwoodshop
08-18-2010, 12:12 PM
You have 2 choices... Buy a new "Improved" Sensor.... They run a thin film of epoxy around the parameter of the board sensor circuit board that 1. holds the board firmly to the black plastic holder preventing the LED's from snapping off. and 2 help to keep dust from getting inside the LED window.

OR.... Take a knife and slice down the back of the sensor removing the bump on the back. If one LED's falls off the board I would not be surprised then you need a new sensor. If both LED's are solid then you can remove the plastic window easily without damage after the back is removed and clean it.

I used masking tape to hold the window in place and seal the back. I have one still going since 7/2008 with NO Errors... MASKING TAPE.... The NEW DUCK TAPE.... Quack...

And I LOVE the Camera idea..... I bet the IR LED's will show up in a Digital Still Camera too.... GREAT TIP !!!!

AL

bernieb
08-18-2010, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the suggestions....I removed the window with no problem and am getting a sensor reading of 108 with a pine board and 146 with a white piece of paper but still getting "clear board sensor" error message. I think I've had it messing around with this machine. There are too many things I don't understand about it..I think I will probably try to sell it.

coop2739
09-02-2010, 08:07 PM
I know this has been brought up many times. I just started getting this message. Trying to run a project, the head goes to the left and stops at keyboard end, stay under rollers?, No, (I am using a sled with 4-1/2" on each end). Head moves 2-1/2" to the right, stops and I get message. I have cleaned the board sensor, removed it and installed a new sensor, put a new sensor cable on and still get the same message. What do I try now?

AskBud
09-02-2010, 08:17 PM
I know this has been brought up many times. I just started getting this message. Trying to run a project, the head goes to the left and stops at keyboard end, stay under rollers?, No, (I am using a sled with 4-1/2" on each end). Head moves 2-1/2" to the right, stops and I get message. I have cleaned the board sensor, removed it and installed a new sensor, put a new sensor cable on and still get the same message. What do I try now?
Are there voids between the sled and the wood (where the sensor passes)?
If so, have you placed a strip of one inch masking tape across that line of travel? Voids can mess up the readings from time to time. I usually determine both lines of travel and tape both ways, whenever I have voids, or change in the color of the wood.
AskBud

coop2739
09-03-2010, 05:00 AM
I have strips of tape across the board. The machine doesn't get to the point where it moves in "x" direction. Just stops 2-1/2" in as it is suppose to measure the width of the board. I checked the sensor reading many times and it reads between 105 and 112.

AskBud
09-03-2010, 06:44 AM
I have strips of tape across the board. The machine doesn't get to the point where it moves in "x" direction. Just stops 2-1/2" in as it is suppose to measure the width of the board. I checked the sensor reading many times and it reads between 105 and 112.
It measures the width first then the length. Is there anything unusual, on the board or sled at this point (v/s solid surface?
I'm sending you a PM as well.
AskBud

DustyUsr
09-10-2010, 06:18 PM
I have had to same problem for a while, I ordered the NEW SENSOR and have the same problem, I put a white paper under the sensor and only reads between 4 and 9, that is the second sensor.
what else could be the problem outside of the wiring harness needs to be replace, hmmmm don't have the tools to do that or the know how.
can you help?

AskBud
09-10-2010, 06:25 PM
I have had to same problem for a while, I ordered the NEW SENSOR and have the same problem, I put a white paper under the sensor and only reads between 4 and 9, that is the second sensor.
what else could be the problem outside of the wiring harness needs to be replace, hmmmm don't have the tools to do that or the know how.
can you help?
I would think, that if you get any reading, the wiring must be OK.
If you have placed a new sensor, I would presume that the sensor cover is new as well.
Did you replace this part because LHR suggested it, or did you do it on suspicion?
I would call LHR for advice.
AskBud

DustyUsr
09-10-2010, 06:36 PM
I replaced it becouse it said the board sensor, I used to just blow it out and everything was fine, now, I blew it out and nothing, I had a new sensor that I have had for a year, put that on and nothing, bought a new sealed one, nothing, guess I have to ship it to Carvewright.

Digitalwoodshop
09-10-2010, 06:45 PM
And this is with the head cranked down on the board and white paper on the board...?

If so.. Then this could be a Cable Problem... The one going thought the back of the Z Head. It could be pinched...

Look at this picture... You can tug the cable up slightly removing it from the pinched area.....

That is why I buy a extra 4 wire cable... Just unplug it up top and test a sensor.... But in your case first is the head cranked down?

AL

DustyUsr
09-10-2010, 06:57 PM
No Sir, the head was not cranked down, just put a white paper under it, nothing, it used to show a good reading when I did that but, not now.

Digitalwoodshop
09-10-2010, 09:49 PM
Could be a pinched wire in the screws when you installed the new sensor.

Check it again. And I did see posted that someone got a NEW BAD Sensor.... Check first then call LHR.

AL

rustynail
09-10-2010, 10:03 PM
If I remember correctly, the board has to be under both rollers when loaded. It must be at least 7" long.

unitedcases
09-10-2010, 10:11 PM
I have blue vinyl tape under my points where I want it to measure. Ever since I did that I have never had a board sensor problem.

DustyUsr
09-11-2010, 08:10 AM
I checked it again this morning, cranked head down, with board and paper, it reads 10 and has a high pitched squeal.

eromran
09-11-2010, 08:45 AM
Are you sure the Z motor is even going all the way down (freely) ? You said you were hearing a squeal. As Al said also check for pinched wire as it moves.

kool69sporty
09-11-2010, 08:57 AM
unitedcases: could you be more specific with the "blue vinyl tape" idea? Sounds like a good solution for some problems with the board sensor. Any pics?
Joe

Tom75
09-23-2010, 07:23 PM
i will have to try the blue vinyl tape too. i have been haveing the same problem all day with the board sensor . took the hole CW appart today except the truck with the sensor on it cus me not thinking right thaught it was the the board tracking sensor (dah i should have known better ) but the up side is it got a very throrough cleaning and lube and the close cover when cover was closed i just finnished fixing that had to re sauder the wiers back on the black one was broke a little . i will try the suggestion i just read on this therd and let you know how i make out . oh i was using popler when this started it carved the back side just fine but could not get the front to carve cuss the sensor erra . sorry the ADD is kicking in .

Digitalwoodshop
09-23-2010, 09:10 PM
It has to be a bad wire..... Anything from a pinched wire from the board detector or the FSC cable has a broken wire in it..... FSC is the flat 14 pin cable....

AL

Tom75
09-25-2010, 09:31 PM
took the sensor off and was full of dust cleand it out and not hav had a chance to test with a carve . but the papper test numbers whent way up put a board in just to check and naw it reads . when i test a carve i will let all know what happens .

Tom75
09-30-2010, 03:49 PM
ok i finnaly had a chance to test after i cleand out the board sensor . not working to well . ran a carve to cut out a new prop for the biplane no go . thaught it might be because i alterd the pattern so i tryed the yo-yo because i know that works the problem i ran in to that was carved perfict till i got to the center for the dowel it was off a bit then when it whent to cut out the same thing it was off . so me being me i set up a test in designer with just a basic cercel with in a circel with a cut out all centered on the board all looked good till the cut out it was off . here is the pic of the test circle .38905

AskBud
09-30-2010, 04:34 PM
ok i finnaly had a chance to test after i cleand out the board sensor . not working to well . ran a carve to cut out a new prop for the biplane no go . thaught it might be because i alterd the pattern so i tryed the yo-yo because i know that works the problem i ran in to that was carved perfict till i got to the center for the dowel it was off a bit then when it whent to cut out the same thing it was off . so me being me i set up a test in designer with just a basic cercel with in a circel with a cut out all centered on the board all looked good till the cut out it was off . here is the pic of the test circle .38905
I think we need to see the "test circle" MPC, to be on the safe side.

In the mean time, check the Brass Roller, and blow out the two top roller switch areas.
I presume that your board was 7+ inches longer, and you "stayed under rollers".
AskBud

Tom75
09-30-2010, 08:49 PM
i will post the mpc in a few min have to let the lap top boot up . im running a lower ver. of desghiner on the desk top . i did a deep clean over the weekend when was told to check to see if the board sensor was full of dust . it was and i cleand it out blew out all the dust from all aieras rollers switches . after the circle test cut i did make a call to lhr and talked to phil and he had me check the y belt and it was a bit loose so i tightend it , sandpapper belt on back side had to remove and turnaround . tryed test again and was a little better . not mesureing right so i checked the head pressure like was suggested and it was lowe followed instructions checked again was a bit higher whent from 50lb to 60-65 . spent 2 and 1/2 hrs to get it to between 75 and 85 no luck tryed loubing the crank handel did not get better . gave up for the night was getting tierd and agatated so that was the signel to stop for the night and will resume in the am after doc app.

Tom75
09-30-2010, 09:02 PM
ok here is the mpc . just a basic circle centerd on the board

Tom75
09-30-2010, 09:12 PM
here is the prop i tryed today after work and it faild . carved the back fine then fliped the board and started to carve fine till it got to the left side carved the left prop totaly off .

AskBud
09-30-2010, 09:32 PM
By "off", do you mean out of place or "ate" it up?
AskBud

Tom75
09-30-2010, 09:38 PM
ate it up ther was nothing left on the left side . the right side was there and the middle was there . it was to replace the prop from the bie plan patter that i was carveing out . the back side carved fine and then fliped the board and thats when the sensor prob started and the cover switch stoped working . i did fix the civer swithch found out that one of the wires that was attatched to the switch was broken and fell off when i took the switch out . i re sawdered it and is good as gold naw .

AskBud
09-30-2010, 10:19 PM
The prop appears to be a good design.
It's possible that the wood was/is not the same thickness from end to end, and/or side to side. It may take micrometers to know for sure. It could, also, be that the edges of the board are not parallel. It may not have any relation to your other machine problems.

I did not run a test of the prop, but it appears that it is fairly thin. Therefore, a small variation in head pressure (on each side) could accentuate the possible thickness variation of your board.
AskBud

Tom75
09-30-2010, 10:27 PM
thank you for the help . will resume getting head pressure corected tommrow

Tom75
10-02-2010, 08:15 PM
not making much hed way on the head presher . can only get it to 61lbs. any sugestions and help would be good

fwharris
10-03-2010, 03:06 AM
not making much hed way on the head presher . can only get it to 61lbs. any sugestions and help would be good

Tom,
If you have verified the head is level, 4 posts are clean and lubed and the gears on the underside of the machine, you might try adding a washer into the crank handle. I THINK? the washer goes between the handle and the spring.

Tom75
10-04-2010, 09:17 AM
put a washer in and head presser went up to 75-80 doing a test carve naw .

fwharris
10-04-2010, 10:34 AM
put a washer in and head presser went up to 75-80 doing a test carve naw .

Tom,
Glad that did the trick for you!!

Tom75
10-04-2010, 11:50 AM
carve was good but the cutout is still off a bit . whent to the pdf sec. and saw another pdf about head pressur and head leavel . am going to try that one . its diff than the one i have printed out . but i will not be able to do a test carve cut out till tommrow . the other prob i am haveing is that its not mesureing the board right its allways shorter after the cw mesures it ex. the board in the cw is 11 1/4 an the cw reads 10 7/8 . tracking sensor works board sensor works i did a sensor test and all was aok . the off set cut out started when i took the board sensor off to get all the dust out that was caussing it to have a check board sensor prob. . ok off to the cw to try again .

fwharris
10-04-2010, 12:29 PM
carve was good but the cutout is still off a bit . whent to the pdf sec. and saw another pdf about head pressur and head leavel . am going to try that one . its diff than the one i have printed out . but i will not be able to do a test carve cut out till tommrow . the other prob i am haveing is that its not mesureing the board right its allways shorter after the cw mesures it ex. the board in the cw is 11 1/4 an the cw reads 10 7/8 . tracking sensor works board sensor works i did a sensor test and all was aok . the off set cut out started when i took the board sensor off to get all the dust out that was caussing it to have a check board sensor prob. . ok off to the cw to try again .

Tom,
You might need to run the calibration procedure on the machine. There is a pdf on that as well...

Tom75
10-06-2010, 11:22 PM
i did the calibration on it to day beforf work al whent well untill it did thickness test with the 3/8 bit it stoped and said check board sensor so i wiped it with a rag and tryed again and whent through all the motions and finnished . will try another test carve in the am . but i think i need a board sensor. i did take the sensor out last week and cleand it .

Tom75
10-07-2010, 09:34 AM
did another test carve . just a basic circle with a carve reagin in the center much better . the problem i seem to have is when you put a squair on the edge most of it is squair (5/8 -3/4) of it is squair then it tapers in from bottom to top . an is mesuring the board the wrong length shorter the the board is . any more suggestions ? i will look through the pdf's and see if there is any thing els i should try . thanky you all for the support and help .

Tom75
10-07-2010, 03:17 PM
ok i some what figured out the mesure problem . last week when i removed the tracking sensor the little rubber pice fell out i found it and reinstalled it the mesurements or off not by much i did a mesure test several times and get diff mesurements . the board i am useing is 14.875 x 4.625 x .50 . length i get is 15.014 , 15.019 , 15.06 , 14.994 , 15.016 , 15.00 . width 4.650 , 4.653 , 4.665 , 4.658 , 4.657 . thickness .552 , .520 , .520 , .521 . i have the mesurments listed in the order that i got them

Tom75
10-12-2010, 10:07 AM
still can not get it to calabrate . each time i do i think im getting closer but i am not . if i run the board through the mesur steep twice on the same setting i get 2 diff readings . is it possable that the tracking sensor even tho it checks out good in the sensor check it can be bad ? i took it out and cleand it just to make saur there was no dust in it . and while i was doing that i thaught it would be a good idea to give it a once over again . i put it all back together made saure the head was level and it has 78lb on the head . but i did notest that the out feed belt keeps ridding to the key pad side and wore a groov in the aluminum table and wore the belt gide too . so i will have to replace it not a big deal cus i am starting to know the cw in and out . i will let every one know howe things go . have to get ready for work will be back at it after work . all have a good day and a big thank you for all the help . p.s sorry for jummping around so much when i am explainning my add is kicking in .

AskBud
10-12-2010, 10:37 AM
still can not get it to calabrate . each time i do i think im getting closer but i am not . if i run the board through the mesur steep twice on the same setting i get 2 diff readings . is it possable that the tracking sensor even tho it checks out good in the sensor check it can be bad ? i took it out and cleand it just to make saur there was no dust in it . and while i was doing that i thaught it would be a good idea to give it a once over again . i put it all back together made saure the head was level and it has 78lb on the head . but i did notest that the out feed belt keeps ridding to the key pad side and wore a groov in the aluminum table and wore the belt gide too . so i will have to replace it not a big deal cus i am starting to know the cw in and out . i will let every one know howe things go . have to get ready for work will be back at it after work . all have a good day and a big thank you for all the help . p.s sorry for jummping around so much when i am explainning my add is kicking in .
Let's start with one of Al's favorite phrases. "It's all about the Brass Roller!"
The board sensor, under the truck, is not a distance measuring device as such. It is a YES/NO laser looking for the end of material on the machine.

The brass (tracking) roller is the device that does most, if not all, of the length measurement. Loose track with this roller and the board will rapidly move (run) until the Brass roller senses more movement. Perhaps it will even eject the board from the machine!

Use of masking tape on the bottom of the board on the key-board side, will assist with good contact. This is especially true on hard wood, painted/finished wood, and thinner wood which is close to the minimum 1/2 inch (just because it was labeled 1/2 inch does not mean it is truly that thickness). Its no different than buying a 9 inch board and finding out that it scales at 8.5 or less!

It is, also, wise to place a line of masking tape on the top of your painted/finished/dark/bright boards where the truck-board sensor passes, during measurement, to assist its ability to accurately determine the presence/absence of material. This single line of masking tape, in each direction should cause no problem for the cutters in most cases (if it is masking tape). stronger/thicker tape could be a problem.
AskBud

Tom75
10-13-2010, 10:04 PM
i tryed everything . i called lhr today and i am sendding it to them to fix . i have tryed all suggestions and pdfs and a few phone calls. the cw has me stumped . gunna miss the cw but will get it back in good working order (crys) . i have a few projects too keep me busy for a short time . i just waunt to say thank you to every one for all the help and support .

Digitalwoodshop
10-14-2010, 06:14 PM
Ask Bud,

You Crack Me Up..... That is right.... It IS all about the brass roller..... And it is MY favorite Saying....

As for yours?...... "Post the .mpc".... LOL..... ROTFLMAO..........

I see something in Tom 75's Signature... If Correct.... Then I would expect it could be that he is using 1.170 and 1.153.... He machine could be confused...

This could really be a waste sending the machine into LHR......

I would get the latest or at least 1.171 loaded on both computers.

I would try a different board with masking tape along the brass roller

I would replace the sand paper belts if worn and plugged with sawdust.

I would be sure the board edge is square.....

That's my 2 Cents.....

AL

Tom75
10-14-2010, 09:35 PM
thank you AL i updated to the new version and for got to change it signature . i have tryed the tape diff. boards and get the same out cum. i try to follow you posts like a hawk Cu's most questions have already been answered and the pics you post with them help me a lot . and i put buds Avis in my fav file so i can review them to help when i have a how do i question . thank you both it helps me a lot because i am a visual Lerner .

Tom75
10-14-2010, 09:39 PM
OH and my wife to be hijacked the desktop while her computer is being fixed . i will up date that one too. gana change the lap top sig. to the 1.175 naw . all have a good night

Tom75
10-29-2010, 11:41 PM
got the phone call today while i was at work today . called lhr back when i was on brake all is fixed and will ship back on Monday . it was the front conveyer gear not spaced right so the front conveyer was replaced that was the prob. all sencers where all good . naw i cant Wait to get it back naw am like a kid weighting for Christmas day . all have a good night .