PDA

View Full Version : Can't seem to figure how to cut this out?

Rocky
08-17-2010, 02:19 PM
I'm trying to cut out this semi-circle, but I can't seem to figure out how. The cut out options are grayed out. I must be missing something. Help, please.

Thanks,

dbfletcher
08-17-2010, 02:35 PM
In order to use the cut path tool, you need to close the path. You can simply take the connected lines tool and connect the two open ends of you semi-circle. You can then use cut path. If you dont want it entirely cut out.. and just want to cut along the arc you have, just assign the 1/8 cut bit to the arc. You wont need to worry about tabs since nothing is being cut out (loose parts).

Router-Jim
08-17-2010, 03:06 PM
You should be able to simply assign the arc a bit. Then choose the depth equal to the board thickness and assign a max depth per pass of 1/8" or so.

Rocky
08-17-2010, 03:38 PM
In order to use the cut path tool, you need to close the path. You can simply take the connected lines tool and connect the two open ends of you semi-circle. You can then use cut path. If you dont want it entirely cut out.. and just want to cut along the arc you have, just assign the 1/8 cut bit to the arc. You wont need to worry about tabs since nothing is being cut out (loose parts).

I do want the entire semi-circle cut out. I thought by connecting the straight line to the ends of the arc would complete the path.

Rocky
08-17-2010, 03:40 PM
You should be able to simply assign the arc a bit. Then choose the depth equal to the board thickness and assign a max depth per pass of 1/8" or so.

How do I get the tabs so that the cut out piece doesn't fall out?

dbfletcher
08-17-2010, 03:42 PM
How do I get the tabs so that the cut out piece doesn't fall out?

If you want the whole arc cut out, you need to follow what I posted. The cutpath will automatically add tabs, but it only works with closed objects or when both endpoint are off the designer board. I have posted a sample mpc with the arc closed (so you can use cutpath tool) and the method router-jim suggested. You still havn't been completely clear on which end result you are really after.

I should mention that tabs never show in designer when using the cutpath tool, but rest assured, the machines will leave the specified number of tabs when it actually does the cut.

dbfletcher
08-17-2010, 03:55 PM
I do want the entire semi-circle cut out. I thought by connecting the straight line to the ends of the arc would complete the path.

The image you posted does not show the ends of the arc as being connected. Just use the connected line tool, position the pointer over each endpoint and click when you see the red cross-hatch which tell you you are directly on the endpoint.

Digitalwoodshop
08-17-2010, 03:56 PM
So to sum this up..... You started with a line and a semi circle.... That all points may not be connected.

When drawing it from scratch make the first lime or arc. Then select the Connect tool in the line menu. Then select line. When you place your cursor over one end of the semi circle you need to watch for the nodes to glow red. Glowing Red is telling you lines are connected. Your last line should connect the first node and glow red. Press Escape to stop a additional line from drawing.

To fix the first artwork. I would select connect line and grab a node and try to move it... If it glows red it will then connect it.... If no glow, it is already connected.

Then use Cut Out and it will give you tabs.

Don't forget you can use multi pass..... I usually set the cut to .27 for 3/4 inch wood. I broke 2 $40.00 Cut Bits last week trying to do a single pass in hard pine..... I am still using 1.153.

I did see something for the first time today when changing bits, I missed the START in the middle of a project and hit STOP..... It asked me.... If I really wanted to STOP.... And gave me a option to save it.... That was a nice thing....

AL

Router-Jim
08-17-2010, 04:07 PM
Rocky, I guess I misunderstood what you were after.

You can click the view tab on the top toolbar and then choose "toogle non-endpoints" and if any of the red dots show that means they are not connected. Move them until you see the starburst. Then your cutpath icon will light up and you will be good to go.

Rocky
08-17-2010, 04:45 PM
Ok, folks.....thanks. I finally see what you're saying....and it works as you explained. I think I must have had a brain cramp. :-)