PDA

View Full Version : What is best for bright gold within carved letters?

Rocky
08-15-2010, 04:02 PM
Along the road while traveling I see signs with bright gold lettering. I'd sure like to know how they do that. Can anyone here point me to some info on how this is done. I've tried gold leaf without much success.

Thanks,

eelamb
08-15-2010, 04:15 PM
The process is called gold leafing, where a contact spray is sprayed into the lettering, the gold leaf is then put into the lettering and barnished. I think a potato is used to coat the area where you do not want the leaf to stick.

eharsin21
08-15-2010, 05:54 PM
what is barnishing?

Digitalwoodshop
08-15-2010, 06:22 PM
Search You Tube for videos. I watched a few one night.

You can use gold spray paint but it will dull... The Sign Girl I talked to at the Fair did only Gold Leaf and had a sample of Gold Spray to show the dull difference.

On the website Signs101 Forum they had some tips and a European Source of Gold Books for half what you pay here in the US.

AL

eelamb
08-15-2010, 06:22 PM
Barnishing is when you place a material beteeen a smooth rubbing stick and you press the gold leaf into the the areas you put it. The material is normally something like wax paper or paper the gold leaf was on. there is another choice and that is to buy gold leaf paint. I have done both, but make sure you use the paint after the sign is finished, for whatever coating you put on the sign may melt the solvent used in the gold leaf paint. Gold leaf paint can be bought at most hobby stores. I think the gold leaf method is best. The potato is cut in half then rubbed on the area around the letters. This prevents the gold leaf from sticking to that surface as it transfers from the paper to the letters. I am no expert on gold leaf, have done this twice and it worked fine.

Rocky
08-16-2010, 05:59 AM
Thanks for the feedback, folks.

dcalvin4
08-16-2010, 10:30 PM
I use my wifes gold craft paint ...the 8 oz bottle from Aleenes is 3 bucks has a real nice color gold.Its water base and I paint it with a small brush...did I say its a real nice color gold
denny

dbfletcher
08-16-2010, 10:41 PM
I use my wifes gold craft paint ...the 8 oz bottle from Aleenes is 3 bucks has a real nice color gold.Its water base and I paint it with a small brush...did I say its a real nice color gold
denny

But what do you think about the color? ;)

sorry couldnt resist.

easybuilt
08-17-2010, 12:27 AM
Along the road while traveling I see signs with bright gold lettering. I'd sure like to know how they do that. Can anyone here point me to some info on how this is done. I've tried gold leaf without much success.

Thanks,

I just finished this sign. I purchased Decoart patio paint metallic outdoor paint. I bought it at the craft store, 2oz for $2.29. One bottle completed the project. It dries to a bright gold finish.

Capt Bruce
08-22-2010, 12:06 AM
I've tried about every paint on the market to get the look of gold and finally settled for faux gold leaf from Highland Woodworking on the net after taking a gilding class there.

Unlike real gold leaf that is weatherproof you have to coat faux with a UV resistant shellac or urethane but the color and shine can't be beat.

38138 38139

mtylerfl
08-22-2010, 07:13 AM
That looks great, Capt Bruce! I'm very impressed with the gold "shine" even after you coat it with the UV resistant shellac (normally, I apply gold/gold leaf last and no clearcoat to avoid dulling the gold "shine").

Tell me, where does one get "UV Resistant Shellac"? I use Bulls Eye Zinsser Clear shellac from Home Depot or Lowes, but don't know if that would be suitable or whether it is UV Resistant.

easybuilt
08-22-2010, 09:21 AM
That looks great, Capt Bruce! I'm very impressed with the gold "shine" even after you coat it with the UV resistant shellac (normally, I apply gold/gold leaf last and no clear coat to avoid dulling the gold "shine").

Tell me, where does one get "UV Resistant Shellac"? I use Bulls Eye Zinsser Clear shellac from Home Depot or Lowe's, but don't know if that would be suitable or whether it is UV Resistant.
Michael,
Shellac is UV-resistant, and does not darken as it ages (though the wood under it may do so on its own, as in the case of pine). I used that finish on my gold sign I posted.

Rocky
08-22-2010, 10:43 AM
I've tried about every paint on the market to get the look of gold and finally settled for faux gold leaf from Highland Woodworking on the net after taking a gilding class there.

Unlike real gold leaf that is weatherproof you have to coat faux with a UV resistant shellac or urethane but the color and shine can't be beat.

Thanks for the tip, but I couldn't find the faux gold leaf on Highland's site.

38138 38139

Thanks for the tip, but I couldn't find the faux gold leaf on Highland's site.

Capt Bruce
08-22-2010, 11:06 AM
Based upon a few private messages I may have caused some confusion. Faux gold leaf (colored aluminum I believe) is the same as real gold leaf in that it must be applied one sheet (3 1/2 square) at a time over a water based "size" that is painted where you want to leaf to adhere. When the size is dried it remains tacky for a period of an hour or so. You pick up a leaf, or small cut piece from it's book with a gilders tip (wide thin brush) using static and float it into place. Using another soft brush you tamp it down into crevices or letters and brush away the leaf excess not being held by size. Save the little torn scraps to fill in gaps. I normally work a small defined area about 6" square at a time.

Burnishing is optional if your surface below is smooth and somewhat soft, but it does amplify the metalic look of the surface. Fellow gilders use gesso to prepare a well sanded surface so the burnishing tool can compress it without further tearing the leaf surface. Hope this removes confusion.

Capt Bruce
08-22-2010, 12:09 PM
That's what I get for not checking that my sources are still offering products I've purchased in the past.
Some alternative sources on the net for the same or similar "composition" gold, silver and bronze leaf gilding are

http://www.gildedplanet.com/compoleaf.asp

http://www.artsparx.com/store_gilding.asp

http://woodworker.com/c-Finishing-supplies/Gilding-supplies/

You can often obtain the same types of materials at Michael's or various art/craft superstores depending upon where you live. Hope this helps. I'll check on the brand name and post a link to a powdered gold product that is used in a mix with straight shellac for small accent gold areas or filling in gaps around gold leafed areas (such as the deep feather carving on my eagle and flag project above).

Capt Bruce
08-22-2010, 01:31 PM
And following up one more time . . . The bronzing powder I had mentioned is available from Easy Leaf Products at the follwing web address;

http://genuinemetal.easyleaf.com/index.php?productID=670

A 2 oz jar cost about $8 when I bought it six years ago and looks about the same in their price list available at that site (15 MB PDF download). Needless to say it goes a long way as you mix it one to six by volume with your prefered liquid. I use plain Casein Varnish from any art store. For a smaller sign I guess you could just paint it with this mixture straight. It won't be leaf gilding but I think you'll be quite pleased. Again hope this helps