PDA

View Full Version : Can I import files from other CAD packages?

carvewright
12-12-2006, 11:03 AM
Currently the software can only import standard graphics files. The fundamental concept behind the design software is that one does not have to be a CAD designer or graphic artist to output unique designs. We liken the software to desktop publishing software where the design elements (in this case 3-D patterns) can be selected from existing libraries. Our software does allow for quick conversion of grayscale (or even color) images to 3-D images for use on the machine. It simply takes pixel intensity and converts it to depth. So if you can convert your designs to grayscale in your design package then the CarveWright software can import it. That being said it is a very high priority to be able to support other standard 3-D formats. Advanced versions of the software will have the ability to import other file types such as DXF and STL.

CapnDave
12-12-2007, 09:27 PM
Currently the software can only import standard graphics files. The fundamental concept behind the design software is that one does not have to be a CAD designer or graphic artist to output unique designs. We liken the software to desktop publishing software where the design elements (in this case 3-D patterns) can be selected from existing libraries. Our software does allow for quick conversion of grayscale (or even color) images to 3-D images for use on the machine. It simply takes pixel intensity and converts it to depth. So if you can convert your designs to grayscale in your design package then the CarveWright software can import it. That being said it is a very high priority to be able to support other standard 3-D formats. Advanced versions of the software will have the ability to import other file types such as DXF and STL.

I was wondering how soon other file types will be able to be used on your machine? This quote was from 2005. My software will export iges, dxf and stl as well as many other 3D formats.
CapnDave

jlitz
12-12-2007, 10:42 PM
At some point I'd expect to see STL support.

I've been toying with importing 2D vector data from Illustrator. I started it quite awhile ago and finally wrapped it up for others to try. No guarantees it's bug free. ;-)

allcw.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?p=860 (http://allcw.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?p=860)

It could be extend it to convert DXF POLYLINE / LWPOLYLINE into Designer paths. But, importing 3D geometry and generating a pattern depth map is beyond this tool. I have prototyped such a tool, but I'm more interesting in vector data at the moment.

benluz
12-13-2007, 05:02 PM
Hello there, Have you found a way to make designer files to be able to be used on cnc machines ,such as an "stl" file. I saw your post and was curious.
Thanks,
Ben

BearlyRich
12-13-2007, 11:36 PM
I saw this program just today and gave it a try. I went back and joined that forum just so I could leave a "thanks". I'm still awaiting validation over there and since you posted about it here...

Thank You!

I converted one of my Corel graphics and it was wonderful. Now I can create in Corel and carve with the CW. If LHR had done this, I would have been a much happier camper from the beginning...

I wish I had the time to write such software as I used to enjoy such things but life is what it is... Thank goodness some folks like you can squeeze out the time and share it with us!

Rich...

At some point I'd expect to see STL support.

I've been toying with importing 2D vector data from Illustrator. I started it quite awhile ago and finally wrapped it up for others to try. No guarantees it's bug free. ;-)

allcw.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?p=860 (http://allcw.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?p=860)

It could be extend it to convert DXF POLYLINE / LWPOLYLINE into Designer paths. But, importing 3D geometry and generating a pattern depth map is beyond this tool. I have prototyped such a tool, but I'm more interesting in vector data at the moment.

aaiello
01-01-2008, 02:03 PM
I saw this program just today and gave it a try. I went back and joined that forum just so I could leave a "thanks". I'm still awaiting validation over there and since you posted about it here...

Thank You!

I converted one of my Corel graphics and it was wonderful. Now I can create in Corel and carve with the CW. If LHR had done this, I would have been a much happier camper from the beginning...

I wish I had the time to write such software as I used to enjoy such things but life is what it is... Thank goodness some folks like you can squeeze out the time and share it with us!

Rich...

I downloaded the ai2mpc software, but when I try to run it, all I get is a quick flash of a black screen. Any suggestions on what is causing this and how to fix it?

Thanks

twehr
01-02-2008, 08:12 AM
I downloaded the ai2mpc software, but when I try to run it, all I get is a quick flash of a black screen. Any suggestions on what is causing this and how to fix it?

Sounds like you are tying to run it by double-clicking the icon. It is a command-line (console) application. You need to run it from the command prompt and give it the necessary arguments (file names, etc.).

Look again at his instructions and you should be able to make it work well.

aaiello
01-02-2008, 09:12 AM
Sounds like you are tying to run it by double-clicking the icon. It is a command-line (console) application. You need to run it from the command prompt and give it the necessary arguments (file names, etc.).

Look again at his instructions and you should be able to make it work well.

Thanks for the info. When I type in ai2mpc ai_circle2.ai ai_circle2.mpc I get an error message that says either "Can't find ai2mpc if I type it in the "Run" box or if I type cmd and then enter ai2mpc ai_circle2.ai ai_circle2.mpc I get an error message " not recognized as an internal or external command operable program or batch file. I downloaded and extracted the file into the my documents folder. Command line is all new to me. I really appreciate your help and would really like to be able to use this program.

Thanks again for your previous response

twehr
01-02-2008, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the info. When I type in ai2mpc ai_circle2.ai ai_circle2.mpc I get an error message that says either "Can't find ai2mpc if I type it in the "Run" box or if I type cmd and then enter ai2mpc ai_circle2.ai ai_circle2.mpc I get an error message " not recognized as an internal or external command operable program or batch file. I downloaded and extracted the file into the my documents folder.

The problem is that the system does not know about (the path to) the application "ai2mpc". It will also needs to know the path (location) of your ai file and where you want the mpc stored.

If you are not familiar with PC Paths, then it may be better to talk you through this. I'll PM you with my office phone. You can call and we can work through it, if you wish.

Jeff_Birt
01-02-2008, 09:31 AM
This is not really the appropriate place to ask for assistance (it is an announcements area), the thread should have been started in the troubleshooting section. You have to run ai2mpc from the folder it is in. You will have to change to the directory you unzipped it into. Once you get a command window open, type 'cd path', (without quotes), where path is the path to where you have unzipped the program, something like 'c:\documents and settings\username\my documents\ai2mpcfolder' (again no quotes). Then you must include the full path to the original ai file or it must be located in the same directory as the program itself.

stevenlowe1983
04-14-2008, 12:34 PM
One of my students was using the CW and when he was finished he took his piece of wood out of the machine and went up way to high. Now it is stuck and it will not go down. All it will do is click. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Steven

AskBud
04-14-2008, 12:45 PM
One of my students was using the CW and when he was finished he took his piece of wood out of the machine and went up way to high. Now it is stuck and it will not go down. All it will do is click. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Steven
Go to this link and download the CW Manual.
Now, go to page 45 and review Vertical Lockup.
AskBud
http://carvewright.com/cms/downloads

Richard D. McSweeney
06-09-2008, 11:43 AM
I have Corel draw and am reasonably familiar with bringing up pictures but is there a way to convert a CD file to one that will work with the carvewright machine? Dick:p

www.go3d.us
06-15-2008, 01:20 PM
I have Corel draw and am reasonably familiar with bringing up pictures but is there a way to convert a CD file to one that will work with the carvewright machine? Dick:p

Yes, just save your file in .png file type and you will be able to use it.
HT