PDA

View Full Version : lubrication

icauto
08-14-2010, 04:14 PM
Hello,

I am having very good results with my machine. I am lubing the flexshaft with the chain oil with moly, the posts with lithium grease, and the rollers on the up and down (Y & Z) with 3 in on oil.

One question, the (spindle bearings - I think) chuck and bearings that the bit goes into and the flex shaft goes into must need lubing.

What type of lube should I use, and how should I lube it?

I have a C Model machine.

AskBud
08-14-2010, 04:28 PM
Hello,

I am having very good results with my machine. I am lubing the flexshaft with the chain oil with moly, the posts with lithium grease, and the rollers on the up and down (Y & Z) with 3 in on oil.

One question, the (spindle bearings - I think) chuck and bearings that the bit goes into and the flex shaft goes into must need lubing.

What type of lube should I use, and how should I lube it?

I have a C Model machine.
I think you will find that the CarveTight Assembly is a "Sealed Unit".
The warning is to avoid allowing the lube from the Flex Shaft to penetrate the spindle (this was also true for the QC Shaft Assembly) as the lube will ruin the factory provided lube and the bearings.
AskBud

Digitalwoodshop
08-14-2010, 06:11 PM
Yes, the Spindle Bearings dislike any lubricant and the Moly oil getting in from the top and cause the ceramic bearings to heat up. It's like that new cooking commercial I saw on TV the other day using a kitchen blender to make hot soup.... Letting it beat long enough to product heat and cook the vegtables....

So no oil on the spindle bearings.

AL

Rick P
08-18-2010, 12:44 AM
I would not use 3-in-One oil on the inside of the CW...it builds up, attracts sawdust and will eventually cause a problem.

I use Boeshield T-9 spray lube. I spray just a dab on a cotton cloth and wipe down the rails...and the posts.

CarverJerry
08-18-2010, 05:45 AM
I've only used dry lube on my rails and corner posts, do not collect dust at all, goes on easy and have never had a problem with my head.

CJ

Rick P
08-19-2010, 02:11 AM
I've only used dry lube on my rails and corner posts, do not collect dust at all, goes on easy and have never had a problem with my head.

CJ

CarverJerry ... also a very good way to lubricate !