PDA

View Full Version : How to make braille?

gibson123
08-12-2010, 10:07 AM
Hi, I have a project where I am trying to carve braille on the flat section of a raster cut.

Grade 2 braille is very stringent on it's dimensions and spacing, so I was hoping to specify and carve very accurate "half domes" into the wood.

Any suggestions/thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

lynnfrwd
08-12-2010, 10:10 AM
I believe there is a Braille TrueType font. Try that!

lynnfrwd
08-12-2010, 10:17 AM
I downloaded it. Pretty COOL stuff!

Do a Google search for Braille TrueType Font. I got mine here http://www.netwizz.net/braille/english.htm

Download it then save it to your Font Folder under WINDOWS.

cnsranch
08-12-2010, 11:24 AM
379133791437915For those interested, this is the font I used a while back - worked great.

lynnfrwd
08-12-2010, 12:11 PM
I must have missed it. What does it say?

cnsranch
08-12-2010, 12:13 PM
The top has my niece's first, middle and last name, the front says "I am loved" (I know, I'm a softy).

Router-Jim
08-12-2010, 04:03 PM
The top has my niece's first, middle and last name, the front says "I am loved" (I know, I'm a softy).

Yeah you're a softy, but you're also a really decent human being. The box you made is very inspirational.

gibson123
08-12-2010, 04:28 PM
Gentlemen, thank you. That is totally amazing, looks great in the software. Tomorrow is a test cut, looks like it will work great.

DocWheeler
08-12-2010, 06:49 PM
Yeah you're a softy, but you're also a really decent human being. The box you made is very inspirational.

Jim,

I agree

Old Salt
08-12-2010, 09:54 PM
Love people who think out of the box.
Should be a great help to many.
Great Job

Jeff_Birt
08-13-2010, 10:02 AM
This is one of the neatest uses of the CW system I have seen to date and to make it even better the thought behind it warms the heart. Thanks for sharing.

gibson123
09-16-2010, 11:26 AM
Jeff, I have used the font mentioned below which works great, but it comes out as a truncated cylinder. I am trying to create braille which is more like "half domes" to very specific dimensions. Any thoughts on how I can accomplish this? I'll attach a photo. Thanks

cnsranch
09-16-2010, 11:56 AM
You're right - traditionally, Braille is a raised "dot" resulting in a dome shape.

Problem is, a font is purely black on a white background, so there's no way I know of in graduating the height with greys you'd need to get that effect.

The only other way I know would to create a pattern that you could work with in Pattern Editor. That involves creating text that a visually impaired person could read, with dots you've placed manually.

I thought of that, but it made me nervous - I don't read Braille, so I relied on the font to do that for me.

For me, the way my project turned out, there was no problem. Even though the letters were flat on their surface, they were perfectly readable to her. You should have seen the look on my Niece's face when I handed her the box, and she could not only read it, but she spend about 2 hours learning every nook and cranny of the entire piece.

It was kinda cool (she's 30 years old, BTW).

TerryT
09-16-2010, 01:28 PM
I'm not sure if this would work for you. Using your font, type it out in your graphics program. Then use a 1 or 2 pixel blur to round it out. Or, type it in designer, change it to a pattern and save as a png. Load the png into your graphics program and round over as already stated. Load it back into designer and save the new pattern.

lynnfrwd
09-16-2010, 01:51 PM
If you adjust (lower) the height of the "text" or braille dots, will that fix it for you?

mca
09-16-2010, 02:43 PM
It should be relatively easy to get a half sphere of the right dimensions in plain vanilla designer. Just draw a circle and apply the "double dome" surface to it; adjust the depth and height until it has the desired contour. Then you can turn on "snap to grid" and copy/paste/drag the dots to spell out what you need manually. This does assume the text is going in a preexisting carve region at least as deep as you want the dots to be tall.

lhanner
09-21-2010, 01:54 AM
cnsranch

You have touched my heart so, I just had to tear up. That carve is the bomb. My grandma was blind and the only enjoyment she got was reading the bible in braille, and listening to gospel preaching and gospel music on the radio. I am a disabled Vet in a wheel chair stepped on a mine lost both use of legs and my hearing, and I go to the VA hospital and assist some of our vets, such as the blind GOD BLESS YOU :)

cnsranch
09-21-2010, 10:17 AM
Lon

Thank you for the kind words.

A message like the one you sent tends to put everything into perspective.

We tend to complain - about the economy, unemployment, (perhaps) The Administration and what they're doing to (or for) us, the cost of living, on and on.

Here's the bottom line - it's people like you that give us the ability - no - the RIGHT to complain. Without you and hundreds of thousands of others that came before you, and the rest that will come after you, we'd have no rights at all.

I'm proud to know I touched you in some little way.

My heartfelt thanks to you for your sacrifice.

Here's a little something for you and your Grandma you may want to run through your machine - it's on 7.25" w X 12" l stock. Use a hardwood - poplar or pine will likely chip, but walnut or cherry will do just fine. If you don't use a sled, don't forget the 3.5" tails on each end.

Thanks again.

Jerry