PDA

View Full Version : Problem using AI2MPC to convert AI file

Capt Bruce
08-10-2010, 10:31 PM
I'm trying to work with a file of a Clan Crest (traced) in Adobe Illustrator CS5. File was then saved as AI Ver 8 and appears below (ZIP File) as a black and white image in vector format.

On my Windows 7 machine I have to run a "virtual machine" in Win XP to be able to run AI2MPC.exe but the command line function says it cannot read the file and gets nowhere.

Can anyone else run the conversion to an MPC file or perhaps tell me if my image AI file somehow is not a Ver 8 compatible format? I can't find any sort of tips and Tricks data on AI2MPC other than 2 command line options.

Any help and especially advice on this conversion process would be deeply appreciated.

dbfletcher
08-10-2010, 10:39 PM
here ya go.. i shortended the name cuz i didnt wanna type that much.

eelamb
08-11-2010, 08:11 AM
Here is an mpc from the image.

Capt Bruce
08-11-2010, 06:19 PM
Thank you kindly Gentlemen,

That tells me the original file was usable, and that it must be the Win environment in which I'm trying to run AI2MPC that is causing the problem. Again my thanks for your assistance.

EDIT on 8/14/2010

Went back to my older PC running WIN XP and the results are just as expected so it is the operating system that AI2MPC does not like. Again my thanks, learning something new every day.
Bruce

Capt Bruce
08-16-2010, 09:43 AM
I found it was more a case of trying to execute the Command Prompt across different folders in the Win 7 environment. When I brought all the needed files into one diretory C:\Username\MyDocuments and typed in plain language names (no spaces) the AI2MPC.EXE program worked flawlessly. One learns by doing and from my many mistakes.

Scanned in vector based MPCs will now flow much more easily. That in turn allowed for a weekend of learning new tricks in editing and improving vector files I've struggled with for months in Designer. It's all about deleting extra lines and adding the right depths with the V-Bit for those that remain.

dbfletcher
08-16-2010, 09:50 AM
I found it was more a case of trying to execute the Command Prompt across different folders in the Win 7 environment. When I brought all the needed files into one diretory C:\Username\MyDocuments and typed in plain language names (no spaces) the AI2MPC.EXE program worked flawlessly. One learns by doing and from my many mistakes.

Scanned in vector based MPCs will now flow much more easily. That in turn allowed for a weekend of learning new tricks in editing and improving vector files I've struggled with for months in Designer. It's all about deleting extra lines and adding the right depths with the V-Bit for those that remain.

I'm glad you kept with it. I know very well how frustrating things can get when things dont work as you expect. It is so easy just to give up in those situations. Great job to get it all figured out on your own! And thanks for relaying what you found... I'm sure it will be useful information for others in the future.

SteveEJ
08-16-2010, 09:59 AM
Yup.. That and filenames with spaces, which on a command line required to be in quotes, will get ya.. Glad you figured it out.

On a side note, I own VCarve Pro and it does a great job of outlining, welding and exporting AI files. If you find any that are VERY complex and need some help let me know..

WorkedWood
09-04-2010, 03:03 PM
Alright Pros I have am AI that I have tried to convert using AI2MPC the DOS screen appears and disappears just as fast as if it worked but the output .MPC never shows up. I've had success with slightly smaller files using the same command line so I'm not sure what gives. Any help would be appreciated. I've attached the AI files zipped.

dbfletcher
09-04-2010, 03:42 PM
Alright Pros I have am AI that I have tried to convert using AI2MPC the DOS screen appears and disappears just as fast as if it worked but the output .MPC never shows up. I've had success with slightly smaller files using the same command line so I'm not sure what gives. Any help would be appreciated. I've attached the AI files zipped.

I just had to rotate the dimensions. When I tried your .ai file I got the following error message.

"### ERROR : Invalid Board Width"

Hope this helps.

Btw... you may find it easier to open a command prompt (dos box) and run the command from there. That way you can see any error messages and other output info. There are other ways to accomplish that, but i find it just earier to open a command prompt and work with the program that way.

WorkedWood
09-04-2010, 11:28 PM
Much appreciated. Great suggestion too. It's been so long since I've used a DOS command I wouldn't have thought of running it in a command prompt. I'll tweak it and put it in the CW tomorrow. Thanks again.