PDA

View Full Version : Scaning probe keeps stopping

hess
08-10-2010, 11:29 AM
While trying to scan my probe has always had a problem with stopping and I get the Check probe error. I have opened it up cleaned and lubed the contacts and all I could find here.

It has now got to where it may do 5 passes then comes up and stop with the same message.
Takes forever to get a scan done because of this. it only does it on the texture part of a scan on the flats it will run fine

I have emailed CW before but no reply

It does not matter what unit I try to use or what setting.
when you manage to complete a scan it looks great but I know this is not right
any ideas

AskBud
08-10-2010, 01:42 PM
If the BLACK portion of the probe is not touching the piece, or the sled rails, I would suspect the wire, from the probe to the cover.
AskBud

RMarkey
08-10-2010, 03:03 PM
While trying to scan my probe has always had a problem with stopping and I get the Check probe error. I have opened it up cleaned and lubed the contacts and all I could find here.

It has now got to where it may do 5 passes then comes up and stop with the same message.
Takes forever to get a scan done because of this. it only does it on the texture part of a scan on the flats it will run fine

I have emailed CW before but no reply

It does not matter what unit I try to use or what setting.
when you manage to complete a scan it looks great but I know this is not right
any ideas

The error "Please check probe" means the probe has reached the top of the scanning area, but it thinks it is still touching something. You could check wiring or the spring inside the probe.

hess
08-10-2010, 04:55 PM
I dont see any thing cut or nicked. how should I check the wire otherwise? Each time it stops the probe moves all the way up then down to the piece then back up then 1/2 way down and gives the error the spring and all are clean all to have to do to reset is place your finger to the probe and not even move it all most like you are grounding it then it resets?

AskBud
08-10-2010, 06:34 PM
I dont see any thing cut or nicked. how should I check the wire otherwise? Each time it stops the probe moves all

the way up then down to the piece then back up then 1/2 way down and gives the error the spring and all are clean all to have to do to reset is place your finger to the probe and not even move it all most like you are grounding it then it resets?
The best way to check the black wires, from the probe to the cover, is via the Sensor Check.
Move and hold the tip so the sensor shows activated, and then move/shake the wires to see if the reading changes.
It's just a quick way to be sure that nothing is broken/loose as far as that wiring is concerned.

So you know, the tip itself is not conducting electric current. It just moves off center, which opens or closes contacts within the housing of the probe.

You may, also, eliminate the Flex Cable as a source of your problem by disconnecting it from the truck.
If the Flex hits/touches the cover/housing, while in place, it could be the source of your problem.
AskBud

hess
08-10-2010, 11:04 PM
Thanks Bud it had the flex off while scanning. will do the wire shake thing in the am before it gets to 115 again

RMarkey
08-11-2010, 08:55 AM
You could try stretching the spring a bit to give the probe a little more push into the contacts.

hess
08-11-2010, 12:29 PM
You could try stretching the spring a bit to give the probe a little more push into the contacts.
Thanks will try