PDA

View Full Version : Nostalgia

TerryT
08-09-2010, 07:16 PM
Ever ride in a '57 Chev sport coupe? Better yet, ever drive one? Remember that last trip on the road with mom and dad?

Remember the TV show "Route 66"? With Cooky?
Cooky, Cooky, lend me your comb!

The movie? The Song? Get your kicks on Route 66?

Remember the Berma Shave Signs?

A peach is a peach
and a peach
has fuzz
mans no peach
and never was!
Burma Shave

The ladies
Take one whiff
And purr--
It's no wonder
Men prefer
Burma Shave

Here is some nostalgia for you.

http://www.fiftiesweb.com/burma.htm
http://www.legendsofamerica.com/rm-66signs.html

We have all ten Route 66 signs for sale on our website.

Changed my mind. They were pretty easy to make and I'm too lazy to build new web pages. So I'll post 'em all here for free.

jiml
08-09-2010, 09:01 PM
Wasn't Cooky was "77 Sunset Strip"

LittleRedWoodshop
08-09-2010, 09:01 PM
I will be carving all of those!

TerryT
08-09-2010, 09:46 PM
Yep, you are right. Gerald Lloyd Kookson. Kookie for short. That was a cool show also. Ed Byrnes was also in the movie Grease.

chebytrk
08-10-2010, 07:41 AM
Yup... Route 66 had Martin Milner and George Maharris in it and a ol' red corvette.

TerryT
08-10-2010, 09:13 AM
California, Kansas, New Mexico and Texas.

The rest are too large to post here. So here are links to download them from my website.
Arizona (http://woodwisdom.com/download/66ARIZ.ptn)
Illinois (http://woodwisdom.com/download/66ILL.ptn)
Missouri (http://woodwisdom.com/download/66missouri.ptn)
Oklahoma (http://woodwisdom.com/download/66oklahoma.ptn)

fwharris
08-10-2010, 11:25 AM
Terry,
Thanks for the "trip" down memory lane!!!

hess
08-10-2010, 11:46 AM
Thanks Terry I was just looking for the TX one. All very nice

TerryT
08-11-2010, 07:28 AM
Thanks Hess.

Icutone2
08-12-2010, 07:33 AM
Great Job! Thanks for sharing them.
Lee

rcdages
08-12-2010, 08:18 AM
Great Job Terry,

I would call those the good old day's.
Recalling the 1957 Chev my Dad had, great car.

No CarveWright those days. Now we are carving memories, thanks Terry for the drive down memory lane in our mind.

chebytrk
08-12-2010, 08:48 AM
Great Job Terry,

I would call those the good old day's.
Recalling the 1957 Chev my Dad had, great car.

No CarveWright those days. Now we are carving memories, thanks Terry for the drive down memory lane in our mind.

WOW.......... now that's a thought... Making really cool carvings of classic rag top cars (55, 56, 57, 58 and 59 Chevys)...

TerryT
08-12-2010, 09:09 AM
Long, long ago, in a place..... Well it doesn't seem that long ago. I was driving down a very rural road. In the distance I saw a 55 chev 2 door Belair. It was in this farm field with a tree stump under one front wheel and the paint worn off from years of rain and snow. Not far from it was "The" 57 Chev sport coupe that I mentioned. I talked the farmer into selling both cars. That started a new way of life for me and my familly. The 57 was first, we did a complete ground up restoration. I turned every nut and bolt myself. My wife worked on the interior. For years after, every weekend was traveling from one car show to another with the entire family. Fun, activities for the family, 50's style dances, new friendships and lots of looks from people when they saw us driving our Colonial Cream and Onyx Black sport coupe with original wide whitewall tires. Especially when we were with 10 or 12 other members of the Classic Chevy Club. I still have a basement full of trophies and memorabilia. The local "Auto Boat Speed Show" was the first time we entered a show. We won 1st place. So I am a nostalgic person I guess.

rcdages
08-12-2010, 03:46 PM
Here we go.

How many of you remember this "See the USA in a Chevrolet" Could I be dating my age HA! HA!

chebytrk
08-12-2010, 04:19 PM
Here we go.

How many of you remember this "See the USA in a Chevrolet" Could I be dating my age HA! HA!

If I'm not mistaken..... It was Dinah Shore who sang that. Guess I'm dating my age too! ha ha : )

rcdages
08-12-2010, 04:45 PM
If I'm not mistaken..... It was Dinah Shore who sang that. Guess I'm dating my age too! ha ha : )

You are correct

TerryT
08-12-2010, 05:23 PM
I had a set of air horns that played that tune at the push of a button!

earlyrider
08-13-2010, 12:08 AM
Any signs for the Lincoln Highway? Ike (the pres.) was a junior officer in the first military transcontinental expedition across the US right after WW1, determining the rout for the highway. There's a fantastic book about the expedition; don't remember the exact title. Those of us who drive across Wyoming on I80 have traveled intermittantly on the Lincoln Highway.
Ron

rcdages
08-13-2010, 09:00 AM
Any signs for the Lincoln Highway? Ike (the pres.) was a junior officer in the first military transcontinental expedition across the US right after WW1, determining the rout for the highway. There's a fantastic book about the expedition; don't remember the exact title. Those of us who drive across Wyoming on I80 have traveled intermittantly on the Lincoln Highway.
Ron

Very interesting about the Lincoln Highway.

oldjoe
08-17-2010, 11:53 AM
Anyone ever heard of the Alcan Highway. Not sure where it went for sure somewhere in Alaska but my uncle was on the crew that built it. Want to take a road trip on it someday. Wife has relatives in Alaska. But I am pretty sure it will be more then a Sunday Drive from Minnesota.
Oh and origially it was suppose to go to Russia. I think I read that right
And another thing those old cars mentioned earlier you didn't need an air bag. They were built to with stand a nuclear blast

earlyrider
08-17-2010, 11:17 PM
The air bag was usually the driver, when lost. Kind of like when someone asked Henry Ford why his Model T didn't come with shock absorbers, he said "The passengers are the shock absorbers."
Ron

jaroot
08-17-2010, 11:30 PM
Been there, done that! Really great drive. I've heard that it is all paved now but it was mostly gravel road when my buddy and I drove up there. That was way back in the summer of 1973. Just about ruined the car but was worth it. We drove from NW Montana up to Fairbanks. I believe that we took four days to get up there but managed to get from Anchorage to Seatle in about 48 hrs. Just took turns driving and went straight through. Fun times! (Sorry about the off topic post)

Anyone ever heard of the Alcan Highway. Not sure where it went for sure somewhere in Alaska but my uncle was on the crew that built it. Want to take a road trip on it someday. Wife has relatives in Alaska. But I am pretty sure it will be more then a Sunday Drive from Minnesota.
Oh and origially it was suppose to go to Russia. I think I read that right
And another thing those old cars mentioned earlier you didn't need an air bag. They were built to with stand a nuclear blast

TerryT
08-20-2010, 09:12 AM
I was watching Pinks last night. They were at the old Route 66 drag strip in Illinois. Not sure which one that would be but it was a good show. Eight, eight second cars racing until just one left. It was pretty fun stuff.