PDA

View Full Version : oval picture frame

stanv77
08-06-2010, 09:29 PM
Back to the experts with questions. I am wanting to make an oval picture frame with the frame eadges domed . Not sure how that is done. Can someone help me?

dbfletcher
08-06-2010, 10:33 PM
Not sure if this would help... But if you want to give me exact dimension... I'll give it a whirl in 3d.

stanv77
08-06-2010, 10:54 PM
Hi Doug
Yes that is exactly what I am looking for.I am trying to made a house sign for my neice and her husband. I am wanting a large oval with their names and anothe smaller oval at the top of the big one . The small oval overlaping the big one. I would like to know how you did that where I can do it on my own in the future if you can explain it. Thanks for the reply. Tha board size that am making the sign from is 18 by 14

dbfletcher
08-06-2010, 10:57 PM
Here is my attempt using 3D. The first one I did in a paint program. This one I did in 3D and then used the STL importer.

Btw.. the paint program was Xara Design. If allows you to create non-linear gradients. Linear gradients will just give you a pointed middle instead of a rounded one. You might be able to smooth the point out in Pattern Editor... but PE isnt a strong area for me.

PS. The 3D was pretty easy and I can do exact radii for the oval as well as to oval slope of the frame itself. So I can probably custom size you frame if you can give me dimensions. Only downside is Im going out of town this weekend, so Im not sure i'd get to it before monday.

stanv77
08-06-2010, 11:20 PM
Thanks doug
I wish I was more up on the computer. What paint program do you use?

stanv77
08-06-2010, 11:29 PM
Do you understand me explaining the two ovals . The big oval will be 18" x10" with about !" across the frame and the small oval 6"x3" overlapping the big oval at the top with about 1/2" across the frame . I hope hope you can understand what am wanting . Thanks again Doug for the help Monday will be fine I am not in that much of a hurry.

WRW
08-06-2010, 11:42 PM
Using Dougs 3d frame I set this up. Hope it helps, good practice for me.
Thanks Doug
Have a good night.

dbfletcher
08-07-2010, 12:03 AM
I think this should be pretty close for the "large" frame. Not sure why the dimensions are off. The model was spot on, but either in the export to STL or the stl importer process skewed it. I'll have to look in to that more. Let me know if this is what you were thinking. The dimensions in the model are: The Oval sweep has radii of 17" and 9" and the oval used for the sweep has radii of 1" and .5". I'm sweeping a oval with a horizontal radius of 1", so I am adding .5 all around the sweep path. Thats why I subtracted 1" from his dimensions becuase I new i would be adding 1/2 of the horizontal radius *2 back. I'll shut up cuz I think my explaination is probably making it more muddy rather than clearer.

stanv77
08-07-2010, 01:11 AM
Thanks doug I tink we are gewtting close. Someday I will have to learn how to do this. Thanks again