PDA

View Full Version : Purchased Cutting Boards

chebytrk
08-05-2010, 09:12 AM
So I bought a couple of Bamboo cutting boards from Wally Mart. They're 8x14x 1/4. They have the hole (handle) also. My question is I don't have any type of sled or any 1/4 boards to add "7 inch extension". Can I just put it in the CW and tell it to NOT stay under rollers? I just want to carve something on it (not cut thru) and see how it turns out. Boards were selling for $6 a piece. Any advice is appreciated.. Thanks

mabco12
08-05-2010, 09:17 AM
What are you going to carve into the cutting boards? I have said no to rollers and have had no problem with carvings in the past.

spalted
08-05-2010, 09:27 AM
I've tried not staying under the rollers, and ended up regretting it.

AskBud
08-05-2010, 09:28 AM
So I bought a couple of Bamboo cutting boards from Wally Mart. They're 8x14x 1/4. They have the hole (handle) also. My question is I don't have any type of sled or any 1/4 boards to add "7 inch extension". Can I just put it in the CW and tell it to NOT stay under rollers? I just want to carve something on it (not cut thru) and see how it turns out. Boards were selling for $6 a piece. Any advice is appreciated.. ThanksYou must have a thickness of 1/2 inch!
one way you may accomplish this is by taping two 1/4 inchs pieces together, if you do not want to build a sled.
askBud

alan.galbraith
08-05-2010, 09:28 AM
Isn't 1/2" the minimum thickness that is recommened and even that might be better to use a sled?

chebytrk
08-05-2010, 09:35 AM
Thanks guys.... you're right on needing at least 1/2 board ( I completely forgot that). I'll do as suggested and tape the 2 together to make it work. I'll give it a try and see what happens. Now to figure out what I want to carve on it.......... decisions, decisions.......

dbfletcher
08-05-2010, 10:09 AM
So I bought a couple of Bamboo cutting boards from Wally Mart. They're 8x14x 1/4. They have the hole (handle) also. My question is I don't have any type of sled or any 1/4 boards to add "7 inch extension". Can I just put it in the CW and tell it to NOT stay under rollers? I just want to carve something on it (not cut thru) and see how it turns out. Boards were selling for $6 a piece. Any advice is appreciated.. Thanks

I had posted a question about carving bamboo last fall. I really liked the way it carved but I found one problem and was informed of another. One of the more savy forum member pointed out that bamboo contains a very high content of silica, so it will wear your bits down considerably faster. The other issue i ran i to is the top surface of bamboo was solid, but I foudn they used a lot of filler materials starting at about 1/8" in down. In the two cutting boards I tried, there was also a lot of voids in the center of the board that really ruined the carving. So if you do carve bamboo, I would keep my caving very shallow. Or perhaps using a better quality bamboo cutting board would also work. Mine were from walmart as well.

Here is my original post from last year:

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?12351-Bamboo&highlight=bamboo

Pratyeka
08-05-2010, 12:20 PM
Yeah, most flat stuff made with bamboo is laminated, bamboo veneer on top of a core.

chebytrk
08-05-2010, 01:50 PM
K.... so here's a Bamboo cutting board that I just finished. Got it from Walmart and it's 11x14x 1/4. I taped 2 of them together, but as you can see the boards shifted a little when first started carving the soccer ball. I used masking tape (made it double sided) in between the boards. Ran them length wise, but now I figure it should have been width wise instead and that probably would have prevented the small shift. Anyway, just a simple carve with a depth of .060 on the board and ran it on Best. Said NO to staying under rollers and had it carve on center. Actually carved pretty good. Granddaughter (6yrs) is starting her first soccer experience this year and is very excited. Kinda want to fix the soccer ball, but the wife says to leave it be so........... Hey, maybe I'll flip it over and do it again... shhhhhhh !:rolleyes: