PDA

View Full Version : I Saw A UFO In The Shop!

spalted
08-05-2010, 08:59 AM
I Saw A UFO In The Shop!

No,I haven't lost my mind..... well ok maybe, but enough about me.......

The UFO I saw was an Unfinished Object.

I started this table a few weeks ago, I think. Then I got busy with other projects.

Well I got going on it again this week.

Tuesday I cut the motise and tennon and attached the top to the base. I used glue and a wedged tennon.

Yesterday I glued the carved insert in and poured a couple of small areas with a mix of black tinted polymer resin. (I regret tinting, but there is no turning back now)

Today I poured another coat of resin and I am currently doing the battle of the bubbles. (if you have ever cast resin, you know what I mean)

I posted some photos before,when I had some questions but I figured I would start a new thread. Hey maybe now that I have gone public with my project I will feel compelled to finish it...lol

mtylerfl
08-05-2010, 09:02 AM
That's looking GREAT!

spalted
08-05-2010, 09:13 AM
Thanks MT,

Here are a few more photos.
You can see the tenon and wedges.
You can also see the black tinted polymer I used in the first pour, I know I said it before but I really wish I hadn't done that. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

chebytrk
08-05-2010, 09:14 AM
VERY Cool!

spalted
08-05-2010, 09:24 AM
Thanks Jerry,

I forget, if anyone is wondering;

The top is a natural edge White Pine slab. I cut the inset for the carving with a hand held router because the slab would not fit into the CW.

The carving is done in Cherry.

The leg is Yellow Birch that I cut and peeled about two years ago. Yellow Birch oxidizes after it is peeled and turns from almost white to the color you see in the photos. The awesome guys at Sherwin Williams custom mixed me some BAC wiping stain to match the yellow birch so if I need to cut or sculpt it I can use the stain to recolor it, I can't even find the touched up areas, those guys are good.

With the Polymer wet, the shop is off limits, so I'm here typing because I can't stir up any dust in there.

The next pour will cover the entire top surface, right now there is only coating in the carved area.

fwharris
08-05-2010, 11:30 AM
Spalted,

Looking good!!! I see Im not the only one who "well I guess I will not do that again".. best way to learn!!

alan.galbraith
08-05-2010, 12:15 PM
Gee I thought UFO stood for Ultra Fine Object. At least from these pictures

LittleRedWoodshop
08-05-2010, 02:15 PM
Still one of my favorite projects ever.

eelamb
08-05-2010, 06:12 PM
Spalted looking good, will love to see it when finished. Great work!

stanv77
08-06-2010, 11:01 AM
spalted is the carving something you made up or one you bought somewhere? I love the carving and the table. I would like to know where to get that pattern if you can tell me. Love it. great work.