PDA

View Full Version : Need a little help with a Pattern or how to create

JDPratt
07-30-2010, 01:29 PM
I am trying to create a simple cross with chamfered edges. I could do this witrh a router with the exception of the center of the cross, but I would like to have the machine do it for me for this application. attached is a picture of what I am trying to do. any and all help will be greatly appreciated.37559

eelamb
07-30-2010, 02:16 PM
JD will this one work for you?

JDPratt
07-30-2010, 03:41 PM
That is exactly what I was trying to achieve. For future reference, can you explain the process?

eelamb
07-30-2010, 05:05 PM
I used Silo to create that. basically I created a cube, expaned it to the size I wanted, then extruded one end 4 more times for the long part. Then extruded the two side arms. Placed a cut line down the middle of each, and pulled it up. Then indented the 4 ends, and placed cut lines at the intersection. Since this was a solid, I did not subdivide it, took it into meshlab to create the STL, and imported to designer, sizing to get the first cut to .25".

bjbethke
07-31-2010, 05:03 PM
I am trying to create a simple cross with chamfered edges. I could do this witrh a router with the exception of the center of the cross, but I would like to have the machine do it for me for this application. attached is a picture of what I am trying to do. any and all help will be greatly appreciated.37559

I made this cross with CorelDraw X5; The PDF shows images of the steps. You need to use the Grid, Bezier and the Transparency tools. There my be other ways to do this, but I made it in sections and then grouped them together.

On the rounded cross I used the Gaussian Blur tool. If you do not have Corel I think you could do this with some of the free programs.

If you need more Info e-mail me.

BJB

JDPratt
08-02-2010, 08:20 AM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. I was just thinking there was a way to do it in designer with vectors and route tools. I'm really not very well versed in the corel/photoshop type software. I really do appreciate the patterns.

John

Kenm810
08-02-2010, 09:37 AM
Hi John,

Here's a quick one I did with Vector Lines in CW Designer
It's not Exactly the same as you posted, --But should be a Fast Carve

bjbethke
08-02-2010, 04:15 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. I was just thinking there was a way to do it in designer with vectors and route tools. I'm really not very well versed in the corel/photoshop type software. I really do appreciate the patterns.

John

You can not make a 3d carving in the vector format, it needs to be a raster format.

This is the only way I know how to make your drawing look like your drawing in the vector format is this way. You can change the edge carving to give it a 3d look by selecting different bits for the edges carve. Hope this helps. BJB

JDPratt
08-03-2010, 09:08 AM
Thanks, I knew there had to be a way to do it.