PDA

View Full Version : Axis errors, could use some help.

Dhaffner
07-30-2010, 09:32 AM
Hey guys.
I am having some trouble and could use some advice.
I'm including a picture of a project I've run several times with no problem that is now not working.
They are "sides" for a game of bags (cornhole in some places).
I have both sides planed, the edges are jointed and on the back side I've put masking tape along the edge that runs on the brass roller.
At various points it seems to start carving off of the edge of the board. I then get an axis error and it shuts down. (I stopped it on the last occasion because I was watching the carve). It's also clear that something is up as the letters it does cut have issues (what look like step problems).
Anyway here's a pic of what's coming out and I thought someone might have a suggestion to get me back up and running.

One other thing...I've noticed over the last few carves what appears to be a "shim" sliding down from the top of the bit holder assembly. I've pushed it back in, but it seems to be sliding out on occasion.

Thanks!

alan.galbraith
07-30-2010, 09:50 AM
That shim, sounds like the retainer ring. I've had one come flying out and the bit holder wobbles and therefore, you will never get a good carve. If that is the case, it is time for a new z truck. That might be the cause of all the problems.

As Al says, upgrade to the newest z bundle if you don't have it already.

Digitalwoodshop
07-30-2010, 01:09 PM
3755337552Not sure what you are saying is the shim... Could it be the damper....? See picture.....

ALso with 168 posts..... If you have about 500 hours on the machine your Y Gear Box Bearings could be BAD causing the Y axis problem.....

If it is the corigated damper then you might need a new Z Truck.

AL

Dhaffner
07-30-2010, 02:05 PM
Well, I took it apart and it appears the primary issue is that the lower y truck bearings were stuck. I managed to free them and get them moving freely again. Yeah, the item you mentioned (damper) seems to be trying to come out. I've pushed it back in, but on some wood carves it's come a little loose. On HDU it hasn't moved. I'm going to hook it all up and see what I have. I'll post in a bit. Thanks for the input!
Doug

Dhaffner
07-30-2010, 03:36 PM
Well...so far so good. I've reassembled it, having cleaned it really well. It's running smooth. In fact, I hadn't realized how "unsmooth" it was until now watching it run after a really good cleaning and getting those bearings unstuck. I'll have to keep an eye on that z-truck and that damper (shim?)...may have to replace that in the future, but right now it seems to be doing ok.