PDA

View Full Version : Glue up is killing me!

c6craig
07-30-2010, 12:44 AM
Hi All,

Quick question...when I glue up two or more boards together width-wise do I apply glue to both mating surfaces or just one? I am trying to get a thicker board by gluing some 3/4 inch boards together.

I tried my first one tonight and like a jack@ss I did it on my real project. If I could reach i would kick myself right in the butt for not testing on scrap first after all the time I have on this. I applied glue to both surfaces and when I went to clamp them they were sliding everywhere. I fought it as best as I could and ended up close enough that when it dries I THINK I can sand it even.

Basically I just squirted glue to cover the area on one board at a time, brushed it even to a thin layer with a chip brush, stuck them together, and attempted to clamp...

Any ideas or tips appreciated....

Thanks,
Craig

jaroot
07-30-2010, 12:52 AM
Sounds like you did it the way I would have. As for the slipping if you have a couple of areas that will be removed you could drill it to accept a couple of dowels or biscuits, preferably on two opposite corners and use those to guide it back into place once the glue is applied. I've used biscuits to align glue ups that I've made for width and they work pretty good. But I definately know what you mean about it floating all over the place.

liquidguitars
07-30-2010, 01:04 AM
I set my bar clamps on the work bench and do a test dry run, then re open the clamps with about a 1/2 gap, turn the boards so the edges are facing up add glue to each mating side, turn the board flat and press the joints together at the same time shift the boards 3/4" back and forth to spread the glue and clamp with 5/8 pressure, check the fit and tighten starting at the center.

c6craig
07-30-2010, 01:16 AM
Thanks guys, I was hoping I was doing something wrong but I guess I just need more practice at it. Thanks for the replies!!!

Craig

bjbethke
07-30-2010, 01:36 AM
Hi All,

Quick question...when I glue up two or more boards together width-wise do I apply glue to both mating surfaces or just one? I am trying to get a thicker board by gluing some 3/4 inch boards together.

I tried my first one tonight and like a jack@ss I did it on my real project. If I could reach i would kick myself right in the butt for not testing on scrap first after all the time I have on this. I applied glue to both surfaces and when I went to clamp them they were sliding everywhere. I fought it as best as I could and ended up close enough that when it dries I THINK I can sand it even.

Basically I just squirted glue to cover the area on one board at a time, brushed it even to a thin layer with a chip brush, stuck them together, and attempted to clamp...

Any ideas or tips appreciated....

Thanks,
Craig

You could make a clamping Jig. I use a sink cutout for the base. The glue does not stick to the plastic top or use news paper'

gwhiz
07-30-2010, 07:06 AM
I set my bar clamps on the work bench and do a test dry run, then re open the clamps with about a 1/2 gap, turn the boards so the edges are facing up add glue to each mating side, turn the board flat and press the joints together at the same time shift the boards 3/4" back and forth to spread the glue and clamp with 5/8 pressure, check the fit and tighten starting at the center.

Sliding the boards back and forth not only spreads the glue, but the glue will get tacky and stop sliding so much. You can also box in the sides with clamps to limit the ability to shift.

alan.galbraith
07-30-2010, 07:52 AM
bjbethke

Great idea on the jigs for clamping. is that wax paper underneath to keep the board from sticking to the jig?

Smoken D
07-30-2010, 08:26 AM
I am certain it is wax paper. I use wax paper to cover over my pipe clamps then the joint being covered on top of the wax paper. Keeps metal/black paint from being transfered onto the wood. Also when I inlay wood into wood I will put wax paper on top of the inlay work, wood block on top of wax paper, and clamp on top of that. Glue doesn't ahear with wax paper very well.

spalted
07-30-2010, 08:27 AM
Hi All,

.................................................. ...............
Craig

Are you edge gluing to get a wider board, or face gluing to get a thicker board?

bjbethke
07-30-2010, 09:27 AM
bjbethke

Great idea on the jigs for clamping. is that wax paper underneath to keep the board from sticking to the jig?

Wax paper works great, old news papers. I know a cabinet shop that gives me the sink cutouts for hulling them off. They work great; the glue will not stick to the plastic. (Sand it down from time to time to make the surface smooth)

Most cutouts are 22 x 31 inches, works great to make boards for the CW unit.

WRW
07-30-2010, 09:36 AM
BJB
Thanks for sharing those jigs and the sink cutout info, what a great use for something that would other wise hit the landfill.
Have a great day!

c6craig
07-30-2010, 10:52 AM
Are you edge gluing to get a wider board, or face gluing to get a thicker board?

Sorry, I guess I don't have all the terminology down yet. I am face gluing to get a thicker board.

I am actually trying to glue three cutouts together that have already been carved. A front carve, a middle spacer, and a back carve.

Thanks,
Craig

c6craig
07-30-2010, 10:54 AM
Thanks again everyone for all the great tips and jigs. I am learning something new on every project, so I suppose that's good LOL.

Craig

spalted
07-30-2010, 11:16 AM
Just a thought Craig, depending on how much accuracy you need,and how your project is assembled; you may be able to design your patterns so the CW drilled a shallow dowel hole in each layer to hold them in place as you clamp them.

fwharris
07-30-2010, 02:17 PM
Sorry, I guess I don't have all the terminology down yet. I am face gluing to get a thicker board.

I am actually trying to glue three cutouts together that have already been carved. A front carve, a middle spacer, and a back carve.

Thanks,
Craig

Craig,
On of the tips posted on this topic " making thicker boards and keeping from slipping" is to put a few very fine pieces of sand/grit onto one of the boards in the glue. When the boards are placed together the sand will keep the boards from shifting as you clamp them up....

c6craig
07-30-2010, 02:54 PM
Craig,
On of the tips posted on this topic " making thicker boards and keeping from slipping" is to put a few very fine pieces of sand/grit onto one of the boards in the glue. When the boards are placed together the sand will keep the boards from shifting as you clamp them up....

Ohhh that's a good one! I remember seeing it now that you mention it, but it was lost in my memory banks somewhere! Thanks for reminding me!

Craig

Router-Jim
07-30-2010, 03:14 PM
Just a thought Craig, depending on how much accuracy you need,and how your project is assembled; you may be able to design your patterns so the CW drilled a shallow dowel hole in each layer to hold them in place as you clamp them.

This method works good for multiple layering.

JDPratt
07-30-2010, 04:14 PM
I use the "grains of sand" technique from time-to-time to keep the panels from slipping across each other. Another technique I often use is to use some spring clamps/hand clamps on the edges of the two boards before I apply the clamps and cauls. for the larger glue ups, i think it is important to use clamping cauls (buy them or make your own). It provides for greater clamping pressure evenly spread across the two panels you are gluing together.

bjbethke
07-30-2010, 04:30 PM

Thanks,
Craig

You might want to try Stretch Wrap I use it a lot to hold odd shaped projects. It clings to itself and has a lot of holding power. This would work great for a STL project. You could adjust all layers to match at all points. Leave some air space so the glue can set.