PDA

View Full Version : Picture frames

eelamb
07-29-2010, 05:13 PM
I have been working on a few profiles for frames, and here is one I liked. If you use it route the dado on the thickest part before mitering the ends.
First image is an example, second is the profile, and last is the blank pattern image, just add your desired pattern onto it.

jpaluck
07-29-2010, 06:35 PM
Eddie

Very nice looking work..man I ducked out for about a month or so and MAN your work in silo has gotten REALLY good from when you started

eelamb
07-29-2010, 06:48 PM
Thanks John, I take that as a compliment coming from you, for your work has always been great. I like the profile type of modeling, letting others add their own creativity to the design. Just takes some imagination and layout to make something their own. I feel these types of patterns are what is missing in the designer software. I know with a little work in designer it can be done too.

eelamb
07-29-2010, 07:49 PM
Another picture frame. I have a customer that is a photographer, and he gave me some drawings of picture frame profiles he buys.

jpaluck
07-29-2010, 08:18 PM
Eddie

Are you adding the filagrees and leaves in Silo?..I use moi3d or max for the main shape of the model then add stuff and sculpt in zbrush...zbrush has this really cool feature called projection master where you can "paste" things like the leaves etc onto your model...Just saw the preview video for zbrush 4..the new features look awsome..the upgrade is free..lol thank God..can't wait for it to be released

eelamb
07-29-2010, 09:13 PM
John, no I am just doing the modeling in Silo, and making the pattern from that. I let the person downloading add whatever filagree they want. Silo (at least that I can find) can not bend the items that well. Zbrush will do it like designer merge aditive. I have done some filagree but again leave that to designer to add it for now. For now if I wanted to put a filagree I created on a frame, I would do so in designer then use make pattern from that.

For those interested I am uploading a video right now. It will be available in about 30 minutes. No audio, just a video showing how I make the frames. Very fast and easy once you learn the short cuts. I made a few mistakes (keystrokes) but other than that it turned out good. I will figure out how to make them smaller yet.

eelamb
07-30-2010, 06:32 PM
Well here is another frame, this time I made the frame while doing a video of it. In the video you will see me making a lot of cut lines. If I had not done this when I subdivide, everything would round out, leaving no square corners. This pattern took almost 7 minutes to create. First video was 650M, Ok do it again change settings, got it to 150m, hmmmm still too large, convert it to mpg, got it to 58.33M, much better. You can either download it or play it on line. My server has a fast connection, thus playing it on line will work for anyone with at least 1.5M download speed. First link is to watch it online, next will give you a list, so right click on frame-7.mpg and choose save.

http://www.lambswoodworking.com/carvewright/frame-7.mpg

or download
http://www.lambswoodworking.com/carvewright

here is the pattern made from this video. Notice the sides are open in the video. I fixed this afterwards. This was just for demonstration only and to shorten the time.