PDA

View Full Version : Looking for someone to hire.

Celticwood
07-29-2010, 12:32 PM
I would like to be able to take some line drawings and carve them on box lids. I understand this can be done using the DXF Importer, along with a drawing program. I have neither, and for the little of this I would do, It isn't cost efficient for me to invest in these programs. I would be interested in paying someone to put some drawings in the proper format.

Jerry

dbfletcher
07-29-2010, 01:05 PM
If you can get them in Adobe Illustrator format, you can use the free ai2mpc program to convert them. If you dont have that ability, can you post a sample of your images? Are they currently in a vector format or do you also need them converted from raster to vector? I'd be happy to help in any way I can. (no payment required)

www.go3d.us
07-29-2010, 02:03 PM
Please email me at contact(at)go3d.us (replace (at) with @ ) for professional service at a low price.
Thanks
HT

Celticwood
07-29-2010, 03:53 PM
Doug, you are very generous. Thanks for your reply. I don't have the ability to put them in Adobe Illustrator format. I would draw them on a page, and would have to send them in jpg. Jerry

dbfletcher
07-29-2010, 04:07 PM
Can you post a sample? I'm sure there are others here that would also be happy to take a shot at it. Or you can always go to HT and have them professionally done.

Btw... if you do draw and scan them, you probably would be better off choosing png or some other lossless format over jpg.

Celticwood
07-29-2010, 04:32 PM
Thanks Doug. It will take me a few days to get a drawing. I may be ahead of myself, but just wanted to see what my options are. I'll be in touch.

Jerry

jaroot
07-29-2010, 09:45 PM
My wife needed a rocket pattern to "chalk" on to a quilt so she could sew it. I just took the line drawing, scanned it imported it into designer then traced it with lines, arcs etc. then I deleted the import. Turned out pretty good and wasn't that hard to do.

Of course it is a pretty simple graphic.

Celticwood
07-30-2010, 08:28 AM
That's an interesting approach. I'll give it a try.

Jerry

Kenm810
07-30-2010, 09:25 AM
I sometimes look for a drawing I want - on the Web (Tons of Free Graphics there)
Then I save it as a png file, import it into CW Designer and save it as a Ptn Pattern file
to use as I need on my projects.

This was one that popped when I entered Celtic Line Drawings

Celticwood
07-30-2010, 10:39 AM
That's interesting. Are you saying that you can carve them vector from that? Jerry

Kenm810
07-30-2010, 10:49 AM
Nope that a regular Raster carving, you would have to trace it, or convert it,
to carve it with Vector lines as a Vector Graphic. Like "jaroot's" Rocket Ship.

Celticwood
07-31-2010, 07:40 PM
Hi Doug,

I have two rough sketches I could send you so you can see what I have in mind. They are not in my computer but on my desk. The only way I have to bring them into my computer is to scan them into Printshop, and that program only has the ability to make them jpg. I could e-mail them to you, or do you have any other suggestion? Jerry

dbfletcher
07-31-2010, 08:02 PM
Is jpeg the only option? Virtually every program I have seen will at least let you save as jpg, tiff, or bmp. In this case tiff or bmp would be a better option becuase they wont add artifacts like jpg does. But if you really can only do jpg you can send me a pm for my email address or just post your jpgs here and im sure you will get serveral people who take a stab at converting them for you.

Celticwood
07-31-2010, 08:10 PM
Yes, the options are Uncompressed TIFF, Windows Bitmat, Windows Metafile aand HTML file. Jerry

Kenm810
08-01-2010, 06:49 AM
For Future reference, if you still have problems with saving or converting Graphics as Png files
some folks here including myself, sometimes use Paint.Net, it's a free graphics Program
that you can down-load from the Web -- http://www.getpaint.net/ -- Just a thought.

dbfletcher
08-01-2010, 07:03 AM
For Future reference, if you still have problems with saving or converting Graphics as Png files
some folks here including myself, sometimes use Paint.Net, it's a free graphics Program
that you can down-load from the Web -- http://www.getpaint.net/ -- Just a thought.

That is good info, but I just want to make sure everyone realizes that converting an exisiting jpg to png really doesnt do any good. Jpg is a lossy format, once an image is saved as a jpg image, some information is lost (and that is when artifacts are introduced), so converting to a png or other lossless format doesnt help at that point. Once the infomation is lost, you cant get it back.

Kenm810
08-01-2010, 07:43 AM
Of course right Doug, "Even I forget sometimes" Hopefully folks will take advantage of a few of the Free Graphics Programs
on the web that produce all the formats including Png.

Ps. I often use my Flat Top Scanner to scan my hand drawn pictures into
my computer as Png files and then to my graphics programs

Celticwood
08-01-2010, 10:20 AM
Wow ! What a wealth of information I generated by my questions. I really appreciate your help, but still have questions. but first i am going to down-load getpaint. I'll be back, and thanks again.

Jerry

bjbethke
08-01-2010, 11:07 AM
Wow ! What a wealth of information I generated by my questions. I really appreciate your help, but still have questions. but first i am going to down-load getpaint. I'll be back, and thanks again.

Jerry

There are two other programs you might want to look at.

InkScape (free program that works some what like Illustrator and Corel)

http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/FAQ (http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/FAQ)

Gimp (free program that works some what like PhotoShop)

http://www.gimp.us.com/gimplp2/ (http://www.gimp.us.com/gimplp2/)

dbfletcher
08-01-2010, 11:36 AM
And to take BJB's comment one step further... pretty much any program you can think of probably has an open source alternative (read free). Just do a google search for for "open source" and the type of program you are looking for. Mostly likely there will be at least one and sometimes several. Documentation sometimes can be lacking with some open source products... but the price is always right!

eelamb
08-01-2010, 03:26 PM
Here is a list of open source programs and programs they are similar to.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ListOfOpenSourcePrograms

Celticwood
08-01-2010, 07:00 PM
Thanks Eddie. I think I have a program that works for me. Now all I have to do is get my drawiings to Doug, and I trust he will fix me up. Jerry

Celticwood
08-02-2010, 01:49 PM
Does anyone know where I might find a free program to save an image in DXF? I'm thinking about buying the DXF Importer if I can get a program free that will save in DXF. If not, Doug, I will take you up on your offer and be sending you some images in PNG. Jerry

dbfletcher
08-02-2010, 01:56 PM
Inkscape can save to dxf. It is a free open source program. Personally I still think the dxf importer is way over priced for a simple input filter... especially since you can do 80% of what the dxf importer does still for free using ai2mpc. But if you have the cash, the dxf importer would certainly be a good way to go.

http://www.inkscape.org/

And we probably need to be a little careful, when you say "save an image in dxf". As a general rule, "images" are typically raster files and dont lend themselve to being saved in "vector" formats (DXF). Now as long as you meant, "where I might find a free program to save an VECTOR DRAWING in DXF" your fine. Raster images need to be "traced" (either by program or by hand) to get them in a vector format.

Celticwood
08-02-2010, 04:30 PM
Hey, I'm all for saving money. Let me explain again what I want to do, and tell me if there is a way to do it without the DXF Importer.

I want to take a drawing I do with pen and ink, and carve it on my machine in vector. Is it possible?

Jerry

dbfletcher
08-02-2010, 04:42 PM
The short answer is yes... but the longer answer is we REALLY need to see how complex or simple these line drawings are. The more complex the drawings, the more time and energy will be required for good results.

Celticwood
08-03-2010, 08:19 AM
37697This is a rough sketch of what I had on mind. I know its dirty, but I would clean it up. Jerry

dbfletcher
08-03-2010, 02:07 PM
37697This is a rough sketch of what I had on mind. I know its dirty, but I would clean it up. Jerry

In case you didnt know, you attachment didnt post correctly. I think askbud has a video on how to post attachments on this new version of the forum.

Celticwood
08-03-2010, 02:55 PM
I'll look into that. But, by clicking on the attachmeent can you see the picture of the horse? Jerry

dbfletcher
08-03-2010, 03:00 PM
No... it just shows "invalid attachment" message

Celticwood
08-03-2010, 03:04 PM
Doug, I think you suggested down-loading Inkscape for a program to save in DXF. The only format I can find that is anything like that is SK1 vector graphics file.

Jerry

dbfletcher
08-03-2010, 03:11 PM
Doug, I think you suggested down-loading Inkscape for a program to save in DXF. The only format I can find that is anything like that is SK1 vector graphics file.

Jerry

Here is a screenshot from the "save as" dialog of the version I have loaded here (v. 0.46)

added another pic in jpg to see if it is larger.. the png is much larger than what is displayed.

spalted
08-03-2010, 04:25 PM
I'm using Inkscape v.0.47, although I don't use it much.

I installed this DXF export extention,http://www.bobcookdev.com/inkscape/inkscape-dxf.html

I have experimented with exporting from Inkscape and using the DXF Importer and it seems to work fine so far.

Celticwood
08-03-2010, 04:50 PM
I have v.0.47.
what do you do with it? Is it helpful in bring pictures into the Designer? I take it that what you are doing requires you to have the DXF Importer. Where does the
DXF export extension fit in? Lots of questions, but I'm kind of green at this stuff.

spalted
08-03-2010, 05:21 PM
What do I do with it? Well I like to plan things and then get frustrated when I can figure out how to make it work...... LOL

I think that link provided instruction on how to install the extension, but it sounds like Doug is not using the extension. I can't recall why I ended up using it.

I'm not very knowledgeable about using Inkscape. But I have opened an image with it then used the "trace bitmap" function to basically outline an image then export it as a DXF. Sometimes it works great and other time it doesn't and I have no idea why. It seems really complex images are the most problematic.

But I am assuming that would work for your drawings. Scan them then "trace bitmap". But hopefully someone who knows more about it will jump in here, because if you have to rely on me for help..... your in deep trouble.....LOL I know just enough to get us both frustrated!

Celticwood
08-03-2010, 06:21 PM
Sounds like we are in it together. Thanks for your input.

Celticwood
08-03-2010, 06:37 PM
I can read the jpg, but don't see the DXF option there. Don't see the SK1 vector grafics file either. But I have 0.47, so they must have added this. So, is there anything in this program that will help me do what I want to do? Jerry

PCW
08-03-2010, 06:49 PM
I can read the jpg, but don't see the DXF option there. Don't see the SK1 vector grafics file either. But I have 0.47, so they must have added this. So, is there anything in this program that will help me do what I want to do? Jerry

Jerry

Maybe you can zip it up and post the file. I know the forum will accept a zip file.

dbfletcher
08-03-2010, 06:51 PM
Probably... the bitmap tracing is useful for taking your scanned drawing and converting them to vector.... and even if you just save in native inkscape format, there are probably lots of people on here that can help you get the vector drawings to designer vector objects. I did send you a PM with my personal email... i'm still really dying to see a sample of what you are thinking. It is so hard to answer specific questions when we really dont have a clue of what you are actually trying to accomplish.

Celticwood
08-03-2010, 07:35 PM
I'm just learning my way around this Forum. How do I see my PM? Jerry

dbfletcher
08-03-2010, 07:37 PM
Upper right hand corner in the "Notifications" drop down....

dbfletcher
08-04-2010, 10:58 AM
Jerry was kind enought to allow me to post his sample artwork he sent to me via email. I have also attached my attempt at converting it for him. I did a very quick and dirty converstion (under 5 mins), but I'd love for some others to jump in an document thier method. His sample drawings actually look like they wouldnt be too difficult to hand trace them just using designer, but since he started out looking at the dxf importer I figured I would keep to more automatic methods.

All I did was use and online auto-tracer to convert his raster scans to vector drawings. (http://www.roitsystems.com/cgi-bin/autotrace/tracer.pl) To me, his drawings seem to be screamng for a "centerline" vector trace. I know illustrator is supposed to be able to do this, but i've never had good success with Illustrator and centerline tracing. The online one seems to work fine.... and its free.

The only down side is I think you can only save to svg so then I used Xara Design to convert the svg to Illustrator v. 8 format. Next I just ran it thru ai2mpc and this is the results. I didnt try to do any clean up or modification... just quick and dirty conversion. The zip files contains the original jpg, my svg and Illustrator files.

I did apply a 60 degree v bit to the bottom pattern just to give a better idea of how it might carve.

Celticwood
08-04-2010, 12:46 PM
I did do the horse's head in Centerline by using a font program, but the font program I used (Scanahand), is not a very good program, and I lost clarity by reducing the drawing so small. I got this idea from a Tips and Tricks article by Creat and Carve. I recently asked him to recommend a better font program, but never got a response.

Jerry

dbfletcher
08-04-2010, 02:42 PM
Just to clarify my usage of "centerline".. please refer to the two attached traces. The first one was done with Illlustrator just using the defaults. Notice how that path follows the outside AND inside of most of the lines in his original drawing? This isnt what we want (or I dont think we do)... it think what we want is one path down the "centerline" of each of his lines. The second one is a true "centerline trace" of his drawing. And that is what I was refering to when I said "centerline trace". I hope my use didnt confuse anyone with they way we normally think of "centerline" in regards to text on the cw/cc. As a side note... that is essentialy what the cw does with centerline carving. It tries to pick the centerline of a stroke and then uses depth to match the width of a stroke.

Whoops.. I just noticed the that forum rearranged the photo's as posted. The pic withthe 4 images is the Illustrator trace... the 2 image photo is the true centerline trace. Sorry for the confusion.

bjbethke
08-04-2010, 11:51 PM
I ran your images through Vector Magic, cleaned it up some and then run it through my Font generator. I could make the line drawing a little bolder to carve deeper. But this is not bad.

spalted
08-05-2010, 08:27 AM
I'm still following along, but I don't have anything useful to add, you guys passed me up awhile ago...lol

How much is there to gain by creating a font instead of just carving it?
I assume a little carving time is cut off, but is it really that much?
I'm not trying to argue, I really am curious about the pro/cons of doing it.

gwhiz
08-05-2010, 08:32 AM
I'm still following along, but I don't have anything useful to add, you guys passed me up awhile ago...lol

How much is there to gain by creating a font instead of just carving it?
I assume a little carving time is cut off, but is it really that much?
I'm not trying to argue, I really am curious about the pro/cons of doing it.

It allows you to carve it as a centerline carve instead of a raster carve. On this graphic you could recreate it with splines, etc. But on a more complex graphic with varying width lines, etc.-big difference in time and quality.

bjbethke
08-05-2010, 08:46 AM
I made the drawing lines a little bolder on the full size horse. it will carve deeper.

Celticwood
08-05-2010, 09:13 AM
Putting it in a font and using Centerline program, the bit will go up and down to follow the thickness of the lines in the drawing. Doing it just vector you get the same width of cut throughout. The sample Doug sent back to me cut too deep. I asked him if there was a way to adjust the depth, and, ofcourse, he knew. He said to take the rectangle from the drawing tools and put a rectangle around the drawing. Right click and you get to choose a bit, and the depth of cut. I'm curious about bjbethke's comment that the wider line will make a difference in the cut. From my experience, the depth you choose determines the width, not the width of the line on the drawing. I don't know if I am making myself clear on this. I hope so. Jerry

AskBud
08-05-2010, 09:34 AM
Putting it in a font and using Centerline program, the bit will go up and down to follow the thickness of the lines in the drawing. Doing it just vector you get the same width of cut throughout. The sample Doug sent back to me cut too deep. I asked him if there was a way to adjust the depth, and, ofcourse, he knew. He said to take the rectangle from the drawing tools and put a rectangle around the drawing. Right click and you get to choose a bit, and the depth of cut. I'm curious about bjbethke's comment that the wider line will make a difference in the cut. From my experience, the depth you choose determines the width, not the width of the line on the drawing. I don't know if I am making myself clear on this. I hope so. Jerry
See if this thread sheds any light on your quest!
AskBud
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?16096-depth-of-the-center-line-lettering

Celticwood
08-08-2010, 03:00 PM
I went to the web site you used to trace. I couldn't figure out how to trace. I did get the horse into the program, but where do I go from here? Jerry

bjbethke
08-08-2010, 05:56 PM

What I was trying to say was to carve a centerline font deeper make it bolder. I do that in my Font Generator program. Here is how I handle image drawings; I do not have the CW DXF program so I use the ai2mpc program. I did find a new CAD program that saves in DXF, DWG and PDF (not sure if it will work with the CW system)

Celticwood
08-09-2010, 06:45 PM
That's beautiful ! What font generator program do you have? I have Scanahand, and have not had very good luck with it. Can you put one image in a font without doing 26 characters? Would your program be able to do something like the prancing horse that Doug posted a picture of? What is ai2mpc, and how is it used in the process? Lots of queations, huh? Jerry

Celticwood
08-09-2010, 07:12 PM
Wow, there's a wealth of information on that thread. Thanks Jerry

Celticwood
08-10-2010, 04:33 PM
bjbethke I just saw this for the first time. Did you do this with your font program? That's exactly the results I want to get. Jerry

Celticwood
08-11-2010, 01:22 PM
bjbethke I really like the results you got with the horses. When I downloaded them, they came across as the letters AB. Must not be able to download them unless I have your font program. Jerry

dbfletcher
08-11-2010, 02:19 PM
bjbethke I really like the results you got with the horses. When I downloaded them, they came across as the letters AB. Must not be able to download them unless I have your font program. Jerry

In that post he also included the font. Did you install his custom font on your system? That is one of the downsides of creating custom fonts all the time, you also have to create the font and make sure it gets installed in you system correctly. Not that that is a big issue, but it is another step that you have to remember.

Celticwood
08-11-2010, 04:33 PM
I missed that Doug. Now I have to figure out what to do with it.

Jerry

dbfletcher
08-11-2010, 04:38 PM
No problem. You just need to unzip the file and then copy the font file to your windows\fonts folder (this is assuming you are using Windows). It will "install" the font to your system. You may or may not have to restart your system to get designer to recognize it.... it still seems hit or miss for me when I'm installing fonts files for use with designer.