PDA

View Full Version : Looking to by a carver for simple sign work....

hitman
07-28-2010, 08:14 AM
Ok, I looking to buy a carver to do small plaques or signs at an amusement park setting. Simple meaning a name or two and a simple icon. My question is is this machine fast enough to do this type of work or will it take 30 min to route simple names? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

cnsranch
07-28-2010, 09:31 AM
Ike is the guy to best answer your question, but if you're looking to do free-hand signs, a good quality laminate trimmer with a hand-full of bits, and you're good to go. I prefer my laminate trimmer to do this type of work, because it's easy to handle one-handed.

If you want signs that are as close to perfect as you can get, the CW is the way to go.

Digitalwoodshop
07-28-2010, 10:28 AM
Look at my website for the signs I do.

Download and activate the free software and design a sign.... Post it here and any of us can try to load it to a card and it will give you the carve time.... Most of my signs take about an hour to cut a logo and text in centerline double sided.

I would be more concerned with the end product and not the time. You can be doing something else in the shop while it is cutting. I listen on a intercom in the shop next door with a smoke detector above the machine.

For $2K this machine is ideal for small signs.... Spend some time reading Tips and Tricks for more of what you can do.

AL

lynnfrwd
07-28-2010, 10:29 AM
Some members create carved "blanks" ahead of time and then customize them onsite with the Centerline Text (fastest routing method).

Check out this Customer Spotlight along with others at www.carvewright.com - IDEAS - STORIES

http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/freck.htm

atauer
07-28-2010, 10:50 AM
Some members create carved "blanks" ahead of time and then customize them onsite with the Centerline Text (fastest routing method).

Check out this Customer Spotlight along with others at www.carvewright.com - IDEAS - STORIES

http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/freck.htm

Lynn said it best, but it really depends on the type of sign you are going for, and the size as well. Are you referring to basic nameplates for customers or something different?

Kenm810
07-28-2010, 11:56 AM
Vector Line Drawing Graphic,Trim, and Centerline Text, all done with One Bit
Simple 60 Degree V-Groove Bit patterns, Trim, and Text can be completed in about 15 Minutes

You can trace Amusement Park Coloring Book Pages, or Clipart from the Web,
for your set of V-Groove Graphic Patterns

Ike
07-29-2010, 05:09 PM
Thank you Jerry for the kind words! I too do hand routed signs at fairs and the CW will probably not be fast enough for what you what to do. Like Lynn said, precut signs with artwork is the way to go. But if you are just using the CW I suggest 2 one for a back up, because things happen and you don't want to be without!

I used a Porter Cable 100 for my hand routed signs it is the 7/8th hp router and works great!

Ike