PDA

View Full Version : Grandkids "Wanted" Photo Poster - Project of the Month

mtylerfl
07-27-2010, 12:10 PM
Hello,

Here is a preview of the next Project of the Month, the Grandkids "Wanted" Photo Poster. This is to provide a few details beforehand so subscribers will have time to "gather" the materials, etc. if they want to do this project.

Display photos of your grandkids in a truly unique way with this “Wanted Poster” photo plaque! Featuring an Old West style, this is one project that will get everyone’s attention! The “poster” holds up to eight photo frames (four per shelf). Carve more “posters” if you have more than 8 grandkids!

The finished dimensions of the assembled “Wanted” Photo Poster are
20" tall x 16" wide x 1¾" deep.

The project requires no special bits and the main components are carved and cut out with just the two standard bits that came with your machine.

Main items you will need:

1) The Project Files (included):
• LEFT_Half_Panel.mpc
• RIGHT_Half_Panel.mpc
• Oval_Frames.mpc

2) Boards with the following dimensions:
Left_Half: .75" x 11" x 28"
Right_Half: .75" x 11" x 28"
Oval Frames: ½” x 5.25" x 24"

(NOTE: Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above, or if you are using a sled, you can subtract 7" from the length of the board and have the sled provide the extra 7" required)

3) Hangers to mount to wall

4) Thin clear plastic sheet

5) Medium thick cardboard/chipboard

6) Sandpaper, drill, clamps, wood glue, wood stain and/or paint and clear finish

7) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Here’s what I used on my Grandkids Wanted Photo Poster I made from Select Pine wood:

Backboard and Frames:
1) Minwax Puritan Pine #218 on all of backboard
2) Minwax English Chestnut #233 on the recessed lettering area, working quickly to wipe off and blend any overflow on the lighter stained outer area
3) English Chestnut #233 stain for the frames
4) three coats Krylon Clear Gloss Acrylic (spray can)
5) two coats of Minwax water-based Satin polycrylic (brushed on), spot-sanding flat areas with 400-grit wet/dry sandpaper between coats.

The plaque is designed to be mounted flat on a wall and the shelf lips will hold your photo frames in position. I installed two triangle loop hangers on each side of the plaque.

Before clearcoating, I lightly sanded the raised lettering surfaces with a small power sander to achieve an “aged” effect. Hand sanding would work fine, too.

Speckled/Aged Effect:
After the first coat of spray clear was dry, I used slightly thinned acrylic Burnt Umber craft paint, and applied a light spatter by “thumbing” an old toothbrush dipped in the paint. Then I applied the remaining finish coats.

rcdages
07-27-2010, 12:47 PM
Michael,

Top of the day to you Sir.

What can one say but outstanding, outstanding and outstanding once again.

You keep hitting the home run and that is great, I am pleased to know you and share a friendship with you.

Time for me to make the POM membership.

Thank you,
Robert
rcdages

Kenm810
07-27-2010, 12:50 PM
Very Clever Idea Michael,

It will make it easy to add, change, swap,
or trade photos among Grand Parents
Nice Job!!

Smoken D
07-27-2010, 01:24 PM
Dang good one! Can't believe another month has gone by!

b.sumner47
07-27-2010, 08:35 PM
Thanks Michael, This project will finally get the grand kids together an they won't even know it . Thanks Again . Capt Barry

eelamb
07-27-2010, 08:43 PM
MT excellent project, you do great work.

mtylerfl
07-28-2010, 02:18 PM
Thank you very much, everyone. I really appreciate the feedback - especially on this project, as it is one I have been meaning to do for quite some time!

Dhaffner
07-29-2010, 03:00 PM
That's a really nice piece..way to go!