PDA

View Full Version : Fried My Dust Collector - Any Opinions??

cnsranch
07-27-2010, 10:57 AM
So, I got a problem. I fried the "running capacitor" on my Delta 50-850 Dust Collector over the weekend. The pic below shows the location of the capacitor - flames shooting out toward the left.37420
The motor never stopped running, but it was HOT when I realized the capacitor was torched. Don't know if the motor was hot due to the flames, or if it was over-heating itself.
DC had been running during a 3.5 hour carve - carve almost complete when it fried.

The on-board circuit breaker never threw.
Set up for 110v.
Here's my question - is there a way for me to bench-test the motor to see if it's bad?
I can get a new capacitor for about $20 - a new motor is about $375.
Motor bad = trashed DC - I won't replace it.
The Dewalt/Delta guy locally called his Delta expert - the expert says that 99% of the time when this cap. flames, it's due to a bad motor.
They can take a look at it - that will cost me about $50.
That's about what I paid for it used a few years ago.
New they're about $450.

Digitalwoodshop
07-27-2010, 11:36 AM
You could invest $20 into a new cap and see.... but I agree, it could be a bad motor.... Do you have good air flow or is the collector under hard suction?

Failed Start Capacitor is a common problem. The Cap is used in the Start Function of the Motor then not used.

http://www.wikihow.com/Check-a-Start-Capacitor

http://www.brighthub.com/engineering/electrical/articles/44951.aspx

AL

cnsranch
07-27-2010, 11:40 AM
Thanks, Al.

I'm told that the start cap is behind the on/off switch, the one on top of the motor is a running cap.

Using FredrickP's Dust Collection design, not much different then all the others.

It was hot in the shop - 90 degrees plus.

spalted
07-27-2010, 11:43 AM
I would think you could get an independent electric motor shop to check it out for less than $50 bucks, but then again every single thing I look at anymore looks over priced, including the stuff I sell....Lol A sign of getting older maybe?

Digitalwoodshop
07-27-2010, 01:01 PM
Could be your right..... 2 Caps....

AL

SteveEJ
07-27-2010, 02:03 PM
Get the motor rebuilt. There are shops around that will rebuilt it top to bottom. That should include the cap as well. Let your fingers do the walking..

bjbethke
07-27-2010, 03:26 PM
So, I got a problem. I fried the "running capacitor" on my Delta 50-850 Dust Collector over the weekend. The pic below shows the location of the capacitor - flames shooting out toward the left.37420
The motor never stopped running, but it was HOT when I realized the capacitor was torched. Don't know if the motor was hot due to the flames, or if it was over-heating itself.
DC had been running during a 3.5 hour carve - carve almost complete when it fried.

The on-board circuit breaker never threw.
Set up for 110v.
Here's my question - is there a way for me to bench-test the motor to see if it's bad?
I can get a new capacitor for about $20 - a new motor is about $375.
Motor bad = trashed DC - I won't replace it.
The Dewalt/Delta guy locally called his Delta expert - the expert says that 99% of the time when this cap. flames, it's due to a bad motor.
They can take a look at it - that will cost me about $50.
That's about what I paid for it used a few years ago.
New they're about $450.
The capacitor is used to start the motor spinning, the start windings should disconnect when the motor comes up to speed. You may have saw dust in the motor blocking the cooling fan or a shorted winding.
If you run this on a bench make sure you clamp the motor down to the bench or it will roll like a ball. It could be just a shorted capacitor; once the motor runs at speed the start windings and the cap should be disengaged.
You could have bad bearings. Would not hurt to try a new cap, you need a new one anyway if you fix the motor. I would take the motor apart and clean it first.

Griz64
07-28-2010, 01:42 AM
If you ever come into town i would suggest Marbecks. If my memory is correct you work in O.P is that correct? I believe there is a Marbecks on 95th street somewhere. give em a call at least. They have always treated me right.

cnsranch
08-14-2010, 12:53 PM
So, I changed out the bad capacitor. DC is running, but the exterior temp of the motor is about 120 degrees.
Never paid attention to it before - should it be running that hot?

What do you think?

oceanspook
08-14-2010, 11:58 PM
exterior means where; and how are you taking the temperature?

dbfletcher
08-15-2010, 12:12 AM
So, I changed out the bad capacitor. DC is running, but the exterior temp of the motor is about 120 degrees.
Never paid attention to it before - should it be running that hot?

What do you think?

The motor housing on mine gets fairly warm as well.. i'll zap it with my non contact ir temp probe next time it is running, but 120 doesnt seem that out of line to me.

cnsranch
08-15-2010, 07:32 AM
exterior means where; and how are you taking the temperature?

Across the top of the motor, between the power switch and run cap housing, with an ir thermometer.