PDA

View Full Version : CarveTight Z-truck issues

cdoyle
07-26-2010, 06:46 PM
I just got and installed the CarveTight Z-truck. I like the easy change of the bits but have one problem that is probably my fault. It seems that the truck isn't as tight as the QC z-truck was and after running for awhile it gets really loose. I used the permanant thread locker like it says to, and I let it dry over the weekend. Is there something that I didn't do right. When I preloaded the rollers they are tight but they seem to loosen up. One suggestion for the screws it would be nicer if they were the 4mm Allen head like the wrench.

Confused,
Cory

Digitalwoodshop
07-26-2010, 07:55 PM
The right side bearings are drilled off set. So when you twist the bearing to Top Dead Center, that is the most closed position..... I get it to that position then back off the screw, then back off the wrench then snug the screw and move the bearing back into the TDC position. The trick is to do it without snapping off the screw.

AL

jaroot
07-26-2010, 08:27 PM
When we replaced our z-truck we used allen head bolts for the bearings and it worked much better.

Digitalwoodshop
07-26-2010, 09:08 PM
What is the metric thread on the screws? .2mm?

AL

jaroot
07-26-2010, 11:21 PM
I believe they are 4mm dia. not sure about the pitch. I just took the old one to Home Depot and found some that matched. Somebody posted the size here somewhere but I couldn't find it.

What is the metric thread on the screws? .2mm?

AL

Jeff_Birt
07-27-2010, 08:29 AM
I have some nyloc allen head screws for the Z-truck. Nyloc screws are self locking and do not need loc-tite. If you guys are interested I'll put them in sets on my website.

dbfletcher
07-27-2010, 09:47 AM
Seems like a great idea to me Jeff!

Jeff_Birt
08-16-2010, 08:45 PM
I did finally get the new site working and the nylock Z-truck screws added. Just look in the CarveWright section, link to site in signature below.

gapdev
09-09-2011, 04:10 PM
Sorry for rehashing an old thread, but I'm confused about the Z-Truck screws.

Jeff sells 10-32 x 3/4 nylon patch screws to secure the bearings to the Z-Truck.

The Carvewright parts manual, specifies 5x14 millimeter screws. I have both sets of screws.

I'm in the process of installing the CarveTight and don't know which screws I should. use. The ones that come with the CarveTight, the ones Jeff sells, or some nice 5x14 allen head screws that I bought.

I'm trying to avoid using the Red Loctite and to make it easier to replace the bearings if need be.

Thanks,

Kenny

fwharris
09-09-2011, 04:29 PM
Sorry for rehashing an old thread, but I'm confused about the Z-Truck screws.

Jeff sells 10-32 x 3/4 nylon patch screws to secure the bearings to the Z-Truck.

The Carvewright parts manual, specifies 5x14 millimeter screws. I have both sets of screws.

I'm in the process of installing the CarveTight and don't know which screws I should. use. The ones that come with the CarveTight, the ones Jeff sells, or some nice 5x14 allen head screws that I bought.

I'm trying to avoid using the Red Loctite and to make it easier to replace the bearings if need be.

Thanks,

Kenny

Kenny,

Use the metric threaded screws. The allen head ones are less prone to stiping the heads.

I used BLUE Loctite on mine...

Jeff_Birt
09-10-2011, 01:50 AM
The original screws are indeed metric. But as it happens 10-32 screws and (metric) M5 screws are very, very, very close to being nearly identical. The major and minor diameters are within the manufacturing tolerance. The thread pitch is also identical for practical purposes for the length of screw used. Using a thread pitch gauge the M5 screw will look like 10-32, if you have a CMM or optical comparator handy you might be able to tell the difference.

Anyhow, I would not be afraid to use the 10-32 screws. They fit perfectly and the nylon patch keeps them in place.