PDA

View Full Version : Wood for the kitchen

easybuilt
07-25-2010, 12:29 PM
I am working on a oven hook for the kitchen. It is designed to be displayed and used. What kind of wood do you think I should use, it needs some strenght and able to be hand washed on occasion. I am trying to keep the costs down so I can sell them for around $10. at at Dinners Done Right store. I have tried pine and it breaks easy also MDF but I don't think it will hold up. Any suggestions would be appreicated. Thanks!

mabco12
07-25-2010, 02:46 PM
I think maple would work nicely for this idea???

Router-Jim
07-25-2010, 08:18 PM
Beech would be another good choice.

pkunk
07-25-2010, 09:16 PM
I am working on a oven hook for the kitchen. It is designed to be displayed and used. What kind of wood do you think I should use, it needs some strenght and able to be hand washed on occasion. I am trying to keep the costs down so I can sell them for around $10. at at Dinners Done Right store. I have tried pine and it breaks easy also MDF but I don't think it will hold up. Any suggestions would be appreicated. Thanks!
Tools traditionally have had ash handles. Ash is very strong, warp resistant, yet will bend. I've never seen an oven hook, do you have a picture?

eelamb
07-25-2010, 09:47 PM
If an oven hook is what I am thinking of, a tool to pull the racks out for removal of the items on top of the rack. Then any of the hard woods will work, but to prevent breakage, cut the wood on an angle then carve it. You do not want the straight grain of the wood going down the handle but slightly angled to make the hook section stronger. But then the handle needs to be bigger too.

easybuilt
07-25-2010, 10:25 PM
Thanks all the suggestions!! I knew you guys would have the answer. It is for pulling the oven racks out and pushing them in.
I purchased this from Terry T. with a few adjustments. The one I cut broke on the hook. 37369 I am going to put on it "I am hook Dinners Done Right".

Kenm810
07-25-2010, 10:27 PM
Hard Maple Oven Hook --or -- Rack Pull
also a Rack Jack

Deolman
07-25-2010, 10:50 PM
My boy made one about twenty years ago out of oak and it has held up very well. The actual hook is about three inches from the end. The end itself is like a fork, (short tines, turned sideways) for pushing the rack back in. On the handle end there is a hole and he tied a leather thong to it. A magnet with a hook is used on the side of the stove to keep it handy. Back then he just drilled 3/8 holes (two of them) and used a band saw to open it up. It has never had a finish on it and very seldom ever needs washing. Hope that gives you some ideas.