PDA

View Full Version : Rough out a Carve region with 3/8 bit.

Davepam
07-24-2010, 06:55 PM
Is there a way to rough out a carve region with a 1/8, 1/4 or 3/8 bit, or for that matter, any bit I choose? You know, Like the big boys do it with a tool path setup. :confused:

DocWheeler
07-24-2010, 07:53 PM
Is there a way to rough out a carve region with a 1/8, 1/4 or 3/8 bit, or for that matter, any bit I choose? You know, Like the big boys do it with a tool path setup. :confused:

Dave,

I guess I'm anxious to offer information today;)

I have done this several times and it works fine.
It works best if you use a continuous circle or rectangle shaped spiral (there I am again on my mower!).
If you go back and forth, the bit will take all of the slack out of the "Y" first one direction and then the other and not cut out the maximum that you intend whereas going in a spiral keeps the slack being away from the center and consistent.

My first machine had the spindle tilted left/right enough that the bottom was not flat after doing this (3/8" bit), so there may be a downside for you. ( I haven't done this on the second machine).

Davepam
07-24-2010, 08:47 PM
I appreciate your information exchange on my behalf!

I'm trying to figure what I'm missing here.

I just fiddled with the spiral square. Couldn't make a rectangle out of it. (now I have a new challenge just to make a rectangle) I would like to take a shape... say a silhouette of a dog. Make it a carve region. Use whatever straight bit, so that I have straight up sides. (not slanted from the carve bit) Set it to rough out whatever depth, and I can come in and use a chisel to cut square corners out. (radius of the bit less the corner square)

I can do this by using the path and selecting a bit - 3/8 lets say, and make another path 3/8 smaller (3/4" smaller shape, of which we then have the Parallel problem again) and use the same bit. And another path... etc., until it it is all cleared out. What a hassle. I think I see where the spiral will do that with the 1/2 bit, but smaller bits still leave material.

Am I missing something? Can the spiral be used for something I don't see?
Dave

Fletcher
07-24-2010, 09:02 PM
Yep, you are missing something in fact - it's called a "pocketing" routine and is readily available in even the most basic CAM programs. It kills me that you can't do it in designer without drawing the entire tool path.

Davepam
07-24-2010, 09:07 PM
OK. got the idea. So my box on a box on a box idea is basically it. (Or path shape on a path shape on a path shape in decreasing increments)
I'm sure this has been suggested, more than a few times to the programmers. I wonder what's up?
Thanks for your input.
Dave

Fletcher
07-24-2010, 09:35 PM
No prob... You will find that designer is a much more powerful tool for 3D work than for 2D. It also helps to play with a few other modeling programs and import things with the STL importer. There is also a free program out there called "ai2mpc" if I remember correctly, that will import vectors from adobe illustrators "ai" format that is helpful to use too.

Fletcher
07-24-2010, 09:37 PM
One more thing... Read the "tips and tricks" issue about creating fonts from a drawing to use with the centerline routine - it works very well.