PDA

View Full Version : Carve Region carves poorly

SAA3840
07-23-2010, 11:56 PM
Can anyone tell me what would cause my carve region to look like it does in the attached pictures? I can't figure it out. The bit is tight, I'm using "The Rock" chuck, not the QC. I've got the new style Z truck and motor, it's all clean (inside and out) as is the Y motor.

( I know what caused the carve region to shift, black arrows, and I think I've fixed it, I cleaned out the Y motore)

jaroot
07-24-2010, 08:45 AM
I'm sure that more experienced users will chime but it looks to me that the board is losing contact with the brass roller. Check the o-ring and belt roll under. Have you tried a different board?

AskBud
07-24-2010, 09:37 AM
Can anyone tell me what would cause my carve region to look like it does in the attached pictures? I can't figure it out. The bit is tight, I'm using "The Rock" chuck, not the QC. I've got the new style Z truck and motor, it's all clean (inside and out) as is the Y motor.

( I know what caused the carve region to shift, black arrows, and I think I've fixed it, I cleaned out the Y motore)
It appears, to me, that the truck (probably the Z) does not have the bearings adjusted correctly.
The lines appear even. I'll bet that if you place your hand on the Z-truck, you can turn it like a door knob and see some movement (it should be solid). The bearings, on the Right side, need to be re-set.
AskBud

unitedcases
07-24-2010, 10:40 AM
How good is your bit? I have had that happen and it was because the bit was dull and it eventually skipped in the y axis. I do 99% of my carvings in oak and I try to stick to 100 hours on a bit. I also clean the bit after every carve with some oven cleaner. I have a small prescription bottle that I filled up and I just leave the bit in the rock chuck and just let it sit in there for about a minute or so and then I wipe it off and clean the inner cutting areas with pipe cleaners. Sounds more difficult and time consuming than it really is. Only takes about 3 minutes.

Digitalwoodshop
07-24-2010, 06:47 PM
Boy that looks like a Y Problem.... Loose belt or the Y gear box bearings are bad....

Does your machine CLICK when at the bit plate? If YES, then it's the little bearings in the gear box on the big plastic gear.

Lots of posts about them and the bearing numbers to get them local.

AL

DocWheeler
07-24-2010, 08:04 PM
Boy that looks like a Y Problem.... Loose belt or the Y gear box bearings are bad....

Does your machine CLICK when at the bit plate? If YES, then it's the little bearings in the gear box on the big plastic gear.

Lots of posts about them and the bearing numbers to get them local.

AL

I agree with both Al and Bud, the lines on the bottom are the Z problem and the shift in the carve region is the Y problem.

If the Y gears are OK then check how hard the Y truck moves after the machine is off for a minute or so. If the Y truck moves OK then check the machine screw on top of the idler for the Y belt, it needs to be tight. I had this problem!

SAA3840
07-24-2010, 10:16 PM
Yes, I've tried other boards. I ran the attached project and got the same carve region finish. Everything else works fine, just the carve regions are screwed up.

SAA3840
07-26-2010, 11:43 PM
I changed the bit and now my carve regions are coming out just fine!!

Digitalwoodshop
07-26-2010, 11:48 PM
As Maxwell Smart would say about this time.... It was the Old Dull Bit Trick......

Good job,

AL

chebytrk
07-27-2010, 08:07 AM
Sure wish someone would come up with a way to sharpen our old bits... hint hint. It would save us all some money as these bits are not cheap! hint hint hint

CarverJerry
07-27-2010, 07:59 PM
The problem with resharpening the carving bit is that they are so small. Had 2 different guys who sharpen end mills tell me the exact same thing.....I was really hope'n to get them some business but guess it's too much for the bother.

CJ

spalted
07-27-2010, 08:18 PM
As Maxwell Smart would say about this time.... It was the Old Dull Bit Trick......

Good job,

AL

Boy............. ya just don't see Maxwell Smart quoted often enough anymore.......Lol

earlyrider
07-27-2010, 11:40 PM
Yeah, and you don't see those quotes from Arbuckle or Keaton either, " ", and my personal favorite, " "
Ron