PDA

View Full Version : October is coming quick...

Dhaffner
07-21-2010, 11:11 PM
I'm a big halloween fan. I'm also a fan of the art work of a guy named Chad Savage. He owns a website called www.sinistervisions.com
I decided to do another "poster"- this time in pink foam.
I used one of Chad's illustrations and brought it into photoshop and did some tweaking, and then carved it out of 3/4" pink insulation foam. Once that was done, I used a product called "Magic Sculpt" to add additional texture and to bring out the pumpkin guy more. The magic sculpt is an epoxy putty that dries overnight and becomes rock hard. I also made up a plate for the bottom out of HDU foam and carved that as well.
Once it was all done, I primed it and did some paint. I did this for myself, and wouldn't sell it as it's based on Chad's work (that wouldn't be cool). Lots of fun though!

LittleRedWoodshop
07-21-2010, 11:50 PM
That is awesome ..... your creativity is just .... wow .... I am at a loss for words. Good to see you back on the forum. Maybe I'll have to bring Kendall to "Big Red" this year for some Trick or Treating.

Icutone2
07-22-2010, 10:24 AM
Looks Spooky! Great job.
Lee

CarverJerry
07-22-2010, 05:25 PM
Now thats great thinking. Pink foam huh? Who would have ever thought to try and carve something like that. And I bet it'd be really easy on the tools and machine. Thanks for sharing that with us.

CJ

Kenm810
07-22-2010, 09:03 PM
It Carves Like Butter --- and wow! -- the Dust Stickes to Everything

Here A little Info you could read about working with Pink Foam First Concrete Casting (http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?8018-First-Concrete-Casting&highlight=pink+Foam)

jwright
07-22-2010, 09:22 PM
show some work using carve wright.
love to see pics. Thanks.

Dhaffner
07-22-2010, 10:35 PM
I guess I should have specified...I carved the pink foam with the CarveWright..and the HDU plaque on the bottom was also carved on the CarveWright. Sorry about that. Ken, I know what you mean...once I started using heavy duty dust collection (to deal with the HDU) it hasn't been a problem...but yeah that's some sticky stuff.

jaroot
07-23-2010, 10:16 AM
This is a great idea and a good job! I've always thought about routing tombstones for the front yard but never got around to it. The foam is a great idea. I guess I'll give it a try this year.

Kenm810
07-23-2010, 10:34 AM
Here's few that might get ya started -- Looking for Halloween tombstone art? (http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?12029-Looking-for-Halloween-tombstone-art&highlight=tombstones)

jaroot
07-23-2010, 10:42 AM
Obviously my expectations were way too low! I had envisioned "boot hill" type tombstones. Those are great! Some look like several hour carves so as soon as I get my machine back running again I'd better get started.

Thanks!