PDA

View Full Version : X Drive rant

jaroot
07-21-2010, 08:09 PM
Ok, now I'm starting to get frustrated! We've put about 70 hrs on the cut motor. The z-truck has fallen apart twice, board sensor failed, cover switch died, flex shaft came apart, then the QC failed. I just barely got the CT installed hoping to get some projects done before I have to leave town and now it appears the the x-drive mechanism is crapping out! I mean for crying out loud does this never end!:mad: We clean it, we lube it, we talk nice to it. I don't know what else to do for it. How on earth do you guys maintain a business with these things? It seems like you just about have to have 3 or 4 just so one is available to do some work.

Digitalwoodshop
07-21-2010, 10:04 PM
I feel your pain.... Hence I have 4 machines....

Do you know why the X Stripped the gear? That is important.... Buy 2 gears..... Just in case....

AL

jaroot
07-21-2010, 10:49 PM
I feel your pain.... Hence I have 4 machines....

Do you know why the X Stripped the gear? That is important.... Buy 2 gears..... Just in case....

AL

Hi Al

Don't know why the x stripped in fact I not sure exactly what is wrong it just started getting jerky on the x movement and making a lot of noise. If you have any insight into potential causes your input would be appreciated. :) I don't have the time right now to even take it apart to find out for sure what's wrong. Leaving at 4am for Montana. I won't be able to get to it til next week sometime after which I'll be headed back to Montana for about 4 months.

We were planning to get a second machine at some point as we would like to at least make a little side business out this. With one machine it seems that it would be pretty hit and miss as to whether or not you could meet any kind of customer expectations.

On an up note, the Carvetight works great. Dbs are were down to about 75 within 3 feet of the machine and that is with the DC working right underneath it. Of course now the sound is down to 0dbs. :)

Oh well, C'est la vie (http://www.google.com/url?q=http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index%3Fqid%3D20070604202142AAzOynE&sa=X&ei=aL9HTIPUCcP58AbapaGNBQ&ved=0CBsQrAIoAjAB&usg=AFQjCNFf_1m00onOHjqtLlDsAqX-oYg1yA)

Jim

liquidguitars
07-22-2010, 11:15 AM
If you hear a loud ratcheting noise it's probably the two screw that hold the z motor to the housing if it's not the x drive.

When you get time, pull the zpack motor from the zpack motor housing, you will need to remover the clear dust shield you will see 2 screws that could need tightening I add a little blue lock-tight on the screws.

Digitalwoodshop
07-22-2010, 11:57 AM
There are a lot of posts on what will snap the X Gear from rolled under sand paper belt, tapered board in thickness or width, left side slide edge guide touching the board or a bump in the board to sawdust blown into the middle of sand paper belts.

AL

CarverJerry
07-22-2010, 05:33 PM
Ok, I've got a question speaking of the x axis. Twice now while my machine is measuring the board and the X starts to move it starts off going really slow, then it will start to wind up to normal speed. And then when it switches direction it does the same thing, slooooooooow to normal speed. Any ideas on that one.
It doesn't always do it, only twice now, and I always use a sled so I haven't changed width, heigth or anything else except mpc's. Thanks in advance...

CarverJerry

Digitalwoodshop
07-22-2010, 06:34 PM
Head pressure is too high.....

OR it's time to replace the sand paper belts. As the belts age the back gets sticky from all the sawdust pitch that acts like rosin. It causes friction of the back of the belt to the tray. The higher the pressure the slower the X drives.

I have been known to loosen the crank slightly when my machines does that first carve of the day as moisture or humidity make it drag more.

New belts help as they are clean on back...

AL

jaroot
07-23-2010, 10:25 PM
I'll check that out when I get home. I'm pretty sure that it is the gear set as the noise would accompanied by x axis error message. But since the QC that I removed was wobbling pretty bad at the end just about anything could have been shook loose.

Thanks!

BTW I've calmed down and ordered the gear set. Actually two and will do an install as soon as they show up. Hopefully I'll actually get to play a little before I have to leave town again.

Thanks to all for your help and suggestions.

If you hear a loud ratcheting noise it's probably the two screw that hold the z motor to the housing if it's not the x drive.

When you get time, pull the zpack motor from the zpack motor housing, you will need to remover the clear dust shield you will see 2 screws that could need tightening I add a little blue lock-tight on the screws.

jaroot
07-30-2010, 07:50 PM
Well I got home and got the x-drive gear set in the mail so I took the machine apart today. it definitely was the x-drive. Three teeth were missing from the first brass gear after the motor gear. I could not believe the amount of junk that was in the gear set. We've only lubricated the height threaded rods once since we got the machine and lightly at that but the gears were filled with greasy wood dust gunk! Based on what we've done to the machine I am pretty sure that a lot of that stuff was in there when we got it. Anyway, we are up and carving again! :)