PDA

View Full Version : rachet gear

CHRISTIAN
07-21-2010, 07:23 PM
Now I really have done it the rachet gear on the head quit working guess I cranked to many times. I have taken the top off to expose the gear but it looks like it is a part to return for repair. Is this a user fix??? If so what parts do I ask want to ask for??

dbfletcher
07-21-2010, 07:55 PM
Can you give some more detials? Is it stuck at the top or does it not go up or down? Any additional info will be helpful.

CHRISTIAN
07-21-2010, 08:24 PM
the crank just turns and nothing happens. I have the part here on my desk and i cannot make the gear move. I feels like something is turning inside but is not transfering to the gear itself

dbfletcher
07-21-2010, 08:31 PM
It sounds like the handle came loose. For lack of a better description, the handle is sping loaded and keyed. It doesnt engage untill the "keyes" are lined up and the handle screw is completely seated. Are you saying on the machine the handle spun freely in both directions?

CHRISTIAN
07-21-2010, 08:35 PM
Yes, I cranked it down but it refused to rachet the handle just turned and then I couldn't get it back up.

dbfletcher
07-21-2010, 08:43 PM
Im still unclear on what you are saying. On my machine I have expreienced two issues with the crank.

1. I could carnk the head down, but the it wouldnt ratchet and I could feel there was way too much head pressure. Turning the other way the head came back up.
2. I could spin the handle in both directions freely and the head never moved at all in either directions. (This was a simply fix of just tightening the crank handle screw... it had worked loose)

Are either of these your symptoms or do you have another problem all together? Is the crank mechanism still in the machine or have you removed it? It sounded like you have it removed from the machine currently.

CHRISTIAN
07-21-2010, 08:49 PM
I removed it but will go out and reinstall it maybe it was loose. The screw was very tight. will let you know how it goes. Will post findings when I get it put back together. sure do appreciate your help.

CHRISTIAN
07-21-2010, 09:15 PM
I put it all back together but the screw that holds the crank keeps coming loose. If i turn the crank real slow I can get it to move the head alittle before screw comes loose. I put a lock washer on it but it still does it. Do you think I should put a dab of thread lock on it or am I just asking for more problems????

dbfletcher
07-21-2010, 09:40 PM
I dont think you have it seated correctly. If you push in on the handle a little while you turn the handle, you'll find a spot where the handle "slips in". That is when you want to tighted the screw.

CHRISTIAN
07-21-2010, 09:57 PM
I found the key and pressed it on but the handle just turns it is not engaging the gears.

Digitalwoodshop
07-21-2010, 09:58 PM
Doug is right.... You snug the screw lightly and slowly turn the crank until it falls into the key way then you continue to tighten the screw in the center of the hand crank. Look at the end of the hand crank.... There is a key way in there..... Now you are just jamming the key way to the top edge of the crank shaft.

At first I thought you cranked it to the top and it just clicked to go down.... That little primer hole in the jacking screw....

AL

CHRISTIAN
07-22-2010, 04:37 AM
I removed the spring and tried to turn the crank it still did not do anything except turn. Could I have striped the key somehow??? My machine is a reconditioned one and I do not know what the problems were when it was returned. I sure wish there is an easy solution I am trying to finish a project.

CarverJerry
07-22-2010, 06:49 AM
Where do you live Christian?

alan.galbraith
07-22-2010, 07:38 AM
I had the same issue and AL is correct. snug the screw, then turn until the handle seats all the way in. Also, check to make sure the spacer is seated correctly also.

CHRISTIAN
07-23-2010, 06:30 PM
Called CW and they told me to look at the washer inside at the end of the spring, it was broken in about 5 pieces. Since it is still under warranty they are sending me a new part. Can't wait till I can get started again.

once again thanks for all the input,