PDA

View Full Version : Stop Collars. half and quater sizes

cdoyle
07-20-2010, 04:35 PM
I just got the CT upgrade for my CC machine. I was just wondering what the stop collars are used for. I got a carving bit and a cutting bit and they seem to fit nicely in the CT head(head not installed yet!). What exactly are the stop collars for? I was wondering if they went between the other bits and the CT head for clearance or what? Thanks for your time.

Somewhat newbie CC User,
Cory

Router-Jim
07-20-2010, 04:50 PM
I believe they are designed to allow you to maintain a consistant bit depth from initial bit loading to reloading for the actual carve.

lynnfrwd
07-20-2010, 05:09 PM
Please reference the April 2010 Tips & Tricks Announcing the CarveTight (http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/downloads/tips/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Apr_2010.pdf) for details.

Bit-Length Stops
To assure bit-length replication during project setups
and when loading any steel shank bits during the actual
project run, there are bit stop ring-sleeves available for
both ¼" and ½" steel shank bits.

AskBud
07-20-2010, 05:15 PM
I just got the CT upgrade for my CC machine. I was just wondering what the stop collars are used for. I got a carving bit and a cutting bit and they seem to fit nicely in the CT head(head not installed yet!). What exactly are the stop collars for? I was wondering if they went between the other bits and the CT head for clearance or what? Thanks for your time.

Somewhat newbie CC User,
Cory
They are a "spacer" to both assure a standard placement, as stated above, and to give the necessary distance between the chuck and the cutter surface. This second function assures that the full bit may be applied without the chuck contacting the wood surface.

Once you have the original set of stop collars, you will see that you may make replacements yourself rather than ordering more.
AskBud