PDA

View Full Version : Carving appears to go around its created corner?

dataman001
07-20-2010, 12:46 PM
37006I purchased a reconditioned machine and it has been running pretty good! I tried to create the (see attached) sign and all on its own it appearers to have gone deeper with each cut until it stalled and the bit broke.
I have tried redoing it a few times and get the same results.
Have not been able to try different designs since the replacement bit is on its way and has not arrived yet.
What would make it go deeper for each consecutive pass?
Did I do something wrong?
NUBBY I am.
Ray

DocWheeler
07-20-2010, 02:57 PM
Ray,

I don't think that you are causing the problem.

Did it do it a second time in the same place?
Normally it plunges gradually if the encoder has dust in it, and to have it screwing-up consistently is strange.

Check to see if the disk in the encoder is loose on the shaft - that's all that comes to my mind.

dataman001
07-20-2010, 06:42 PM
Thanks Ken!
OK I have searched the parts catalog and can not find an encoder.
Where do I look for it?
Ray

Digitalwoodshop
07-21-2010, 01:36 AM
First off if you have the OLD Z with the 18 pin cable it could just be a bad cable.... The FIX is getting the New Z Bundle.... A cable with 14 pins and THICKER wires.... it's called the FSC Cable plus you get 2 circuit board for either end... Sometimes you get the Z Motor with it too.... Would be good to get it....

Cleaning the Encoder of dust can fix this too... But is more than likely the OLD Z with the thin wires.... Getting the new Z is a GOOD thing....

My picture shows 16 pins but it is 18....

The encoder is in the back of the motor and makes pulses.

AL

dataman001
07-23-2010, 12:32 PM
Al,
Thanks for the pictures! I did find the encoder and there was a bunch of junk inside the cover so I cleaned it out and gently blew out the dirt from the sensor etc. Also got my new bit last night also.
Attempted to start the project again and am now getting a 313 error. It appears as if the bit is lunging lower than it should as its in the set up phase of the operation.
Is there something else I need to do to clean the encoder?

Did I mess it up some how?

Finding that I have an old Z parts I guess purchasing a rebuilt unit was not such a good ides. I expected it to have all the latest engineering upgrades on it etc and I just was not getting a guarantee. Looks like I got an old machine that was dusted out at the most. Boy what a disappointment.

Is this Z Bundle purchasable? If so where do I find it listed?

Looks like this machine has had this problem before since the squaring plate assembly has gouge marks in it from the bit.

Thanks guys for you help!
Ray

alan.galbraith
07-23-2010, 01:30 PM
Z Bundle upgrade, call them to order. Also, you will get a $40 rebate to return the old motor. The z bundle that I ordered and installed a couple of months ago included the motor, cable and board. You will also get the instructions on how to install. I found it rather easy to follow. I also ordered a new z truck with the carvetight spindle. It works like a charm.

dataman001
07-25-2010, 04:03 PM
"Attempted to start the project again and am now getting a 313 error. It appears as if the bit is lunging lower than it should as its in the set up phase of the operation.
Is there something else I need to do to clean the encoder?"
Ray

dataman001
08-19-2010, 07:09 PM
I did install the Z bundle and it now works great!!
Thanks everyone for their help.
Ray