PDA

View Full Version : Dust Collection... Suggestions, Opinions...

DumbDawg
07-19-2010, 04:26 PM
While I'm waiting on parts to arrive I figured I'd go to work putting in a dust collection system... The old system is a broom and dust pan... With the CW machine being ultra finicky about dust I've decided to help it out and remove an excuse for it to act out...

Living in Canada are there any canuks here who have dust systems and what they think of them. Whats a min size a person should consider??? I'm think'n a 1.5hp system would be ok for my small shop... I'm only ever really running one tool at a time.

Anyone have experience with BusyBee Tools or King Canada's dust collection systems???

I can buy from the USA and drive down to a receiver I use across the line, its about a 5 min drive from where I'm at... So a reliable system and supplier in the USA would be ok too... Looking to spend about $200 - 250 on the system... not including pipe, grounding etc... any suggestions...

Thx

jaroot
07-19-2010, 06:42 PM
We are using DC hood that "Fredricks" posted plans for. We had to modify the dimensions slightly to fit our machine. That is attached to a cheap HF DC unit. It works pretty well but I hope to get a better DC unit in the future. The way it is it collects about 90% of the dust and chips but I think it would do better with a bit more suction.

There is a pic of our setup in our album.

spalted
07-19-2010, 06:58 PM
I'm using a version based on "Fredricks" design also, I have a 3HP collector with a 4" pipe running to the CW and I'm sure you could go smaller, but I'm not sure what the minimum would be.

I think there is a design in the pattern depot for a hood, and fwharris and askbud both have hoods or designs for sale. I have heard good about both, but I haven't purchased either one.

I personally can't imagine running my CW without a collection system of some type. Even if it is small, I would think it would be better than nothing at all. I also wish that 20 years ago I would have bought a collector and piped the whole shop back then.

CarverJerry
07-19-2010, 07:49 PM
I have the dust collection unit that Ringneck Blues manufactures. Does a really nice job, I'm using a 1.5hp cincinnati dust collector. Does a really nice job with wood, using it on corian (lithopanes) it tends to make a mess inside a bit more than wood. I also redirect the exhaust from the cut motor back into the machine just to keep things sturred up allowing the vacuum to suck it up better.

CJ

henry1
07-19-2010, 08:17 PM
While I'm waiting on parts to arrive I figured I'd go to work putting in a dust collection system... The old system is a broom and dust pan... With the CW machine being ultra finicky about dust I've decided to help it out and remove an excuse for it to act out...

Living in Canada are there any canuks here who have dust systems and what they think of them. Whats a min size a person should consider??? I'm think'n a 1.5hp system would be ok for my small shop... I'm only ever really running one tool at a time.

Anyone have experience with BusyBee Tools or King Canada's dust collection systems???

I can buy from the USA and drive down to a receiver I use across the line, its about a 5 min drive from where I'm at... So a reliable system and supplier in the USA would be ok too... Looking to spend about $200 - 250 on the system... not including pipe, grounding etc... any suggestions...

Thx
Were are you living I am in Cornwall ont and maybe I can Help I am thinking on buying this unit at this place I deal with
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21255 hope this helps

jaroot
07-19-2010, 09:07 PM
The Harbor Freight model that we currently have is nearly identical to the Rockler one but less than 1/2 the price. The problem with this type of DC is the bag will clog and isn't as effective for dust collection. I believe that you would be much better off if you can spare the space and cost of doing the double bag type where the air goes out through the cloth upper bag and the debris is collected in the the disposable plastic lower bag. Like this one that can occasionally be purchased for less than $150 US. http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid=45378&CategoryName=&SubCategoryName=

Just my two cents worth.

Were are you living I am in Cornwall ont and maybe I can Help I am thinking on buying this unit at this place I deal with
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21255 hope this helps

fwharris
07-19-2010, 11:23 PM
Whats a min size a person should consider??? I'm think'n a 1.5hp system would be ok for my small shop... I'm only ever really running one tool at a time.

Thx

The smallest I would go in cfm would be in the 500-650 range. Anything above that the better..

I agree with Jaroot on the double bag system for dust collection. You will get longer carve times between having to empty out the collection bag and clean the top filter bag. The CW does make a lot of fine dust and not keeping the bags cleaned you will get a decrease in performance.

DumbDawg
07-20-2010, 02:10 PM
Many Thx for the replies...

I checked out the links given, rockler, Harbor Tools, but no prices where evident on the HFT model and the Rockler was $220...

I think I may just order the 1.5 hp unit from busybee tools here in canukdom and work the system from there... At least it will be a starting unit to maybe build on... Shop is small and a double bag system I think is overkill for me and the bank acct at this time... I compost most of the sawdust, chips etc so frequency of cleaning isn't a big deal...

If anyone has tips on do's/don't I'd appreciate them as well... I have been reading the forums threads on this as well as other stuff... to much info to remember all of it...

Thx again...

LittleRedWoodshop
07-20-2010, 02:33 PM
Check out this new website ... a page dedicated to dust collection options for the CarveWright. www.CNCCorner.com

http://i34.servimg.com/u/f34/14/04/28/42/cnc_co11.jpg (www.CNCCorner.com/dust%20collection)

Jcpb321
07-20-2010, 02:40 PM
I also use the plans posted by Frederick, although I have a bigger DC piped in I currently use a portable from Penn State Ind since it seems to do one heck of a good job.

Like Spalted says "I personally can't imagine running my CW without a collection system of some type" in fact before I ran my machine the first time I made the DC hood.

If you use Fredericks plans I would suggest you make a wide version to get the left (keypad side) and it will do a great job, I originally used the 2 tapped screw holes for a hold down with angle brackets and that was the width of my collection area, needless to say that left about a 3" gap that was not really available for pickup, yesterday I slotted my hood and moved it to the left, used it awhile ago and collection improved 99%, now to rebuild so I get collection all the way accross.

BTW, I did use a piece of acrylic formed with a heat gun on the top so I can actually see the dust being picked up if I put the light on it! Some will say I shouldn't do this but with the amount of fine dust that is being picked up I doubt if there is any static buildup or the dust would be sticking to the plastic, I think there is more chance of static in the flexible hose that goes to the dc as that is where I find residue at times depending on what wood I am cutting.

al2888dj
07-20-2010, 02:44 PM
RingNeckBlues dust collection works well A +

jaroot
07-20-2010, 05:30 PM
Many Thx for the replies...

I checked out the links given, rockler, Harbor Tools, but no prices where evident on the HFT model and the Rockler was $220...

I think I may just order the 1.5 hp unit from busybee tools here in canukdom and work the system from there... At least it will be a starting unit to maybe build on... Shop is small and a double bag system I think is overkill for me and the bank acct at this time... I compost most of the sawdust, chips etc so frequency of cleaning isn't a big deal...

If anyone has tips on do's/don't I'd appreciate them as well... I have been reading the forums threads on this as well as other stuff... to much info to remember all of it...

Thx again...

We paid about $80 for the Harbor Freight single bag model and the double bag one is regularly on sale for about $130. That's in the US I got the impression that you are in Canada and I don't know what the availability is there.

DumbDawg
07-22-2010, 04:45 PM
Well I did order the Craftex DC system from BusyBee Tools for two hundred delivered....

So once I get it here and set up I'll post a comment on it for those Canuks that may be looking to get a DC system here in Canukdom...

DumbDawg
08-02-2010, 11:25 AM
Maybe third time lucky.... hopefully it will post this time...

I got the system, Craftex, from BusyBee Tools here in Canukdom...

The toughest part was the piping as that took a bit of wrestling with to get a usable system. The troubling part was that everything has connections of differing sizes... from 2 inches to 4 inches... Plus getting flex hose to fit on PVC fittings was an adventure as well...

I went with a PVC sewer, 3 inch, system and have three drops. One drop goes to the CW machine, another to a sander and table saw, and the third drop goes to a router table... for now... I dry fit them all together and runs across the ceiling so that I can remove, add to or adjust whenever I get the urge... or more new toys... :)

The piping system might have cost me another $80... the fittings were the expensive parts... needed a few 90's and T's... I use caps to block off the none used drops so theres no blast gates etc... The piping systems would have cost me dearly if I'd ordered them from BusyBee or other places...

The biggest problem was the flex hose to the machines... I tried using 4 inch dryer hose to the CW machine which was useless... It just collapses flat and blocks off the piping... I'm using a type of metal foil dryer hose and its holding up well... so far... The other machines with smaller than 3 inch connectors I'm using a 3 inch dryer hose with no bends at all... If there are bends with the vinyl hoses they just collapse... So I'm keeping my eyes and ears open for a better solution for this...

While waiting for a board sensor to arrive I built a dust collector hood for the CW machine... Works like a hot digity dog... absolutely NO dust on the project or in the machine anywhere... it was like I didn't even run it and everyone knows these machines make copious amounts of sawdust.... This should go a LONG way in eliminating this machine finicky behaviour and longevity as well...

If anyone is interested I could probably post a few pics... Bottom line is.... if you don't have a dust collection system... install one, its worth it for you and your machines... Secondly... I'd buy another Craftex DC from BusyBee Tools if I ever needed one... This one works well and is quiet... well worth the money...

cheers