PDA

View Full Version : error 313

Wolf
07-19-2010, 03:35 PM
I just picked up a compucarve from a friend and it only has 2.5 hours on it but I can't get this thing to do anything. I followed all the instructions that I have and when I turn it on and try to start it I get a message saying "Z axis stall, Error 313 press stop" When I do that it goes back to the main menu and I can start the process all over again. It's fun but I would rather actually do something productive. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? I did update the firmware to the newest edition. Thanks for any help you can give me.

I did a white paper check on it and came up with a board sensor of 20. Is this a bad thing?

Wolf
07-20-2010, 08:56 AM
A cure was found. All I had to do was dump the newest version and go back to 1.16XX and the machine is actually doing something now. This is a lot better than watching the bit slam into the wood and them hitting stop but that was fun too(not really).

liquidguitars
07-20-2010, 10:11 AM
Wolf,

the software is not the issue you could need a new Z pack, or have bad z truck bearings, also remove the old QC and get a Rock or CT if you can.

Spencemark
07-20-2010, 10:32 AM
would the Z truck, bearings or QC go bad with less than 4 hours
on the machine? The software might not have been the issue, but
the problem went away for him. The machine had 3 or 4 test carves
on it. (he bought our machine)

Ike
07-20-2010, 10:56 AM
It may have a broken tooth on the gear too. The thing to do is with the power off run the Z truck up and down and if it is jerky then there is a problem. Another thing the motor is held on by 2 small screws if it has become loose then the motor may not be making contact with the gear. It is easy to check, remove the top hood and then remove 2 screws and the top allen screw with the spring. One screw can be reached through the fins, then drop down from the belt and look at the gears and check the motor. It also wouldn't hurt to remove the black end cap 3 screws, but be careful two screws have a small nut on the end. There might be dust in the cap even with 2.5 hours of cutting.

If that doesn't work, then you have a bad Z pack like LG said or it is an old style. Search Al's post to see the photos to tell the difference.

Ike

liquidguitars
07-20-2010, 11:33 AM
would the Z truck, bearings or QC go bad with less than 4 hours
on the machine? The software might not have been the issue, but
the problem went away for him. The machine had 3 or 4 test carves
on it. (he bought our machine)

It's not software. If the bearing are not adjusted or the table pressure is wrong then yes.

Ike
07-20-2010, 11:40 AM
LG am I off track? Could it be what I posted? What bearings are you talking about? I am learning still after all these years! I just went through this and need a Y motor and I went ahead cleaned and checked the Z motor.

Ike

Spencemark
07-20-2010, 11:43 AM
If that doesn't work, then you have a bad Z pack like LG said or it is an old style. Search Al's post to see the photos to tell the difference.
Ike

It *is* an A machine.. but barely used. Does that mean the the original machines
suffered from Z axis problems with little/no use? That doesn't seem right..

Ike
07-20-2010, 11:53 AM
That is true, but the old Z pack had issues and some worked and others needed replaced. LHR fixed the issues, if my memory serves me they did take care of the the problem when it happened. Just like any mechanical machine sometimes there are faulty parts, vehicles have recalls all the time.

If I am not off track, I would check for dust, the motor being loose and if there is a broken tooth in the gear. If not then it is what it is a new motor is needed!

Ike

liquidguitars
07-20-2010, 11:53 AM
LG am I off track? Could it be what I posted? What bearings are you talking about? I am learning still after all these years! I just went through this and need a Y motor and I went ahead cleaned and checked the Z motor.

Ike

Hi Ike, did you fix your unit yet? one standard issue with z problems are just dirty truck bearings..

liquidguitars
07-20-2010, 11:59 AM
It *is* an A machine.. but barely used. Does that mean the the original machines

Sorry i am just addressing the software fixed my issue statement from the second post, new machines can have issues like table pressure and dirty bearings, even a bad QC.

mtylerfl
07-20-2010, 12:01 PM

One of my machines (an A machine) has had no modifications and still runs perfectly...has the "old" z-truck, the standard QC, the original sandpaper traction belts, and so on. Soon, though, I will be installing the CarveTight on that machine too. Not because I have had any trouble, but the CarveTight is clearly superior to the QC and requires no maintenance (cleaning between bit changes and after carving) at all. I like that convenience.

Hexe SA
07-20-2010, 12:02 PM
A cure was found. All I had to do was dump the newest version and go back to 1.16XX and the machine is actually doing something now. This is a lot better than watching the bit slam into the wood and them hitting stop but that was fun too(not really).
I had the same thing Sunday night with an A machine but the new Z-truck. I got the Z axis stall Error 313 when the truck moved over to the homeing plate and lowered the bit. Turned out, the wire connectors to the cutmotor had turned forward and interfered with the Z-truck movement. I moved the the connectors to the back, little tape to hold them in place, works like a charm. Running software 1.164. May be the same thing.
Eva

Ike
07-20-2010, 12:06 PM
My problem was the Y motor, I took the Z off just for giggles and cleaned it! My Z truck goes up and down smoothly, but I noticed my motor was a little loose so I tighten the screws and then I took off the end cap and it was full of sawdust. Then I had a gear tooth break on my roller belt table so I double checked the gear in the Z motor. I also cleaned the Y motor, but still kept getting Y axis errors! It started with the 303 axis error, after cleaning it would carve one letter ok and then start carving gibberish! So I ordered a new Y motor and a new CW!

Now my wife wishes I didn't sell the refurbished CC to pay the Sears bill she kept nagging me about! I am glad I am getting a new and improved CW!

Ike

Spencemark
07-20-2010, 12:41 PM
Sorry i am just addressing the software fixed my issue statement from the second post, new machines can have issues like table pressure and dirty bearings, even a bad QC.

I understand.
The reason for going back to the other software is that we never spent enough
time learning the machine before we sold it.. and when it was delivered and then
didn't work, it made sense to go back to what DID work and then start troubleshooting
from there. So I sent him the version I had been using before we sold it.. and it
started working again.

I've done troubleshooting on equipment for long enough to know that just because
a symptom disappears, that doesn't mean the problem was solved. Is it possible
that a gear with a broken tooth moved into just the right position to work again?
Certainly. Is it possible that the vibration of the motors finally caused a loose connector
to suddenly make better contact? Sure. But if it turns out to be a bad motor on a
new/used machine, we'll be buying back a piece of equipment we don't want.
That would really suck. The machine will do what we want, just nowhere near fast
enough to be cost effective.

Ike
07-20-2010, 01:04 PM
Good point, I guess if it had a broken tooth it wouldn't matter what software you used! With my Y motor I was getting an 303 error and I ran the project 4 times and each time it carved a little further before getting the error. With the Z motor it is limited in movement so I would think the gear only makes 1/4 turns at a time. I only suggested these things before ordering a new motor. My Z motor was working and I checked the motor and it was loose and not making full contact with the gear, because the screws were loose. Then I discovered too close is bad too so I played with it until it was smooth. I mentioned the end cap because that is where the encoder is and mine was packed with saw dust.

You mentioned connections, the Z motor has 3 the flat FSC cable that runs along with the Z truck if it catches something it could be partially connected? Then there are 2 other cables. I think it would be cheaper to buy a new motor then taking back the machine.

What do you do that you need a faster machine? I still have a 2514 K2 CNC I bought new and never used! I owned it for 2 years! I even sold a never used 4896 Shopbot, that I wish I didn''t sell! Oh well I bought my soda wagon and didn't lose any money!

Ike

Spencemark
07-20-2010, 01:27 PM
[QUOTE=Ike;135656]
What do you do that you need a faster machine?QUOTE]

Carving 3D (2.5D) lids for boxes. I did a file of 6 lids and it was almost 6 hours without even
getting to the best quality. It isn't that I need a faster machine, just that this machine
won't allow me to do them fast enough to be profitable.
I'll just do them on the laser instead. CNC might be in the future, though.

Ike
07-20-2010, 01:35 PM
Very cool, if you are interested in my K2 in the future send a PM, I paid $3500.00 for it and another $500.00 for the software and it just sits on a bench! I am willing to sell it for $2500.00 including the software plus shipping. A big loss for me, but a good deal for some body!

Ike

Wolf
07-20-2010, 06:12 PM
Thanks everyone, I was able to put 4 hours of carving on this machine today and did 3 small projects with it. It seems to be working fine now that I changed the firmware back to 1.164. I took the entire machine apart and cleaned everything and checked every wire and connection before I did the firmware change with no changes so I have to conclude that it was the firmware not agreeing with my machine. I will try a bigger job with it as soon as I can find a project I want (haven't looked at that side much yet).

liquidguitars
07-20-2010, 07:47 PM
I have to conclude that it was the firmware not agreeing with my machine

Glad you are working now and cleaning is alway a good first start like i stated. However for people that may think that changing the firmware back in this case is the fix i would let them know that this wrong information.

Digitalwoodshop
07-21-2010, 12:10 AM
All this Fixing stuff..... Good Job Everyone !!!!!! A little off topic Detour....

I have been diving into my own bit of troubleshooting....

I bought my Brother a Sirius Radio and a Lifetime subscription a few years ago.... The trick to the lifetime is you can transfer the subscription to a total of 3 radios.... Then it is NO Good anymore.... And each transfer is $75.00....

So when Radio #2 died... I got concerned.... It was showing "Antenna Not Detected" like the last one...

So he sent me the radio and a spare he purchased on eBay new as #3 to be....

The thing has 2 circuit board connected with a cable.... The front keyboard and the back antenna and computer... So I swapped the whole back half hoping the electronic serial number was in the keypad section.... No such luck... It's in the back section.... So then I saw I can swap the RF or Radio Frequency Part that the Antenna plugs into.... I am thinking that Satellite Radios can be zapped by Lightning Hits in the area... High Frequency RF is sensitive.... Sure enough I was able to swap the RF section and I now get a signal.... We are back in business.....

I had to cut the plastic holding the Antenna Jack to get it out of the holder without un soldering it. The C Clip holds it in place.... It worked...

Then Problem 2 that has plagued the radio for a few weeks... Wiggle the radio and it cuts in and out..... A quick solder job on the connector as this is a weak part of the radio.... Lots of physical stress..... So I re soldered it and back in Business.... Saved the radio....

Thought I would share since everyone did such a great job fixing the CW's....

I miss fixing this stuff.... I really loved fixing Play Station 2's... when at Sony.

Might be a market in fixing radios with people in the same boat as my brother... You just buy extra radios on eBay for parts....

AL