PDA

View Full Version : Need some help

SAA3840
07-18-2010, 10:56 PM
I've been away from this forum for over a year due to our moving and taking care of all the honey-do's after moving in. I fired up my machine today for the first time in a long time.
I was trying to carve a simple, one-bit sign "Beware of Dog" but two trys gave me two pieces of oak firewood.
The first attempt carved fine for the first 1 1/2" then it suddenly started carving 1/8" deeper. I didn't notice that until problem 2 cropped up. At 8 1/2" the machine added one inch to the bottom of my project.
The second attempt carved ok as far as depth goes, I cleaned out the Z truck motor. However, the carved surface is very rough in the carve region. This time the machine added 3/4" to the bottom of the carve region at 4".
My belts are not rolled up, everything is clean and I'm using 1.163.
Any ideas??

TIMCOSBY
07-19-2010, 04:51 AM
carve region should not be that rough. someone will pipe up with an answer soon though.

Digitalwoodshop
07-19-2010, 12:49 PM
OK you have a few problems here.....

With a one year old machine I am betting that you have the old Z Bundle with the 18 pin thinner FSC Cable. It would be good to order the Z Bundle with the new 14 pin thicker wire FSC Cable and 2 new circuit boards. This may be your only problem. The Thinner wires can break easier and handle less current.... Like a AAA battery and a D Battery... The 14 pin is better... solves a lot of problems....

The offset of the Y or left and right was cause by one of 5 reasons....

1. The 18 pin cable and less current or push of the electricity cutting the oak.

2. Dust and dirt in the Y belt, Belt cogs, or rails and rail bearings.

3. The bearings in the Y Gear Box are SHOT.... Over 500 hours EXPECT this.... It causes Clicking when the head is going toward the bit plate...

4. The Y Belt is loose...... This is usually because of the bearings going bad not the belt getting longer....

5. If you still have the QC, you might have worn BB marks in the bit causing the bit to flop around and not cut properly. Get a Rock....

The old Z has longer cooling fins, the newer one has shorter cooling fins.

The picture is wrong, it's 18 pins not 16 pins...

To buy the Y Bearings LOCAL use the following Cross Reference Numbers for the 5 mm x 11 mm x 5 mm with metal shield.

NSK Brand - 685ZZ

KOYO Brand - W685ZZ

NMB Brand - L-1150ZZ

AL

SAA3840
07-19-2010, 05:30 PM
I've got the newer Z-motor and I'm using the "Rock". I did away with the Quick-Change over a year ago. I pulled the Y motor today and cleaned out some sawdust inside the cover and cleaned the disc with alcohol and a q-tip. That might explain the Y axis screw-up. I still can't figure out why the carve region looks so rough.
Cleaning out the Y motor seems to have fixed the problem with the Y axis.

I still need to find out why the carve region is not carving smooth.