PDA

View Full Version : chair Back

Old Salt
12-11-2006, 08:47 PM
Chair Back When in a upholstery shop I spotted a very old table an chair set with some of the chair backs broken . I asked the clerk if they needed those part made . yes but we can't find anyone to do it. Told him I could give it a shot . He took my name and ask me to please come back at 2:00 the boss will be here then. Went back at 2:00 and they had already removed one of the good chair backs for me. Told them it was a new process for me but would give it a try. Took 3 hrs to probe back but loaded fine. made pattern and loaded board but had some software problems with new update on my older series machine. One called CW and they where working on the problem . Next day up date solved the glitch and we began carve. Cut out of 1/2 " Oak [ not my favorite but had to match old backs ] took 1.5 hrs to carve and about 1 hr to sand and touch up. Shop owner very pleased wants two more plus has other old pieces for me to do. Paid for scanner [ + ] on first job can't do any better than that. :D [/b]

Surfingmussel
12-12-2006, 11:17 AM
excellent example of what can be done with the scanner!

Dan-Woodman
12-12-2006, 10:08 PM
Hey old salt
With the scanner , are you able to edit the carving after you scan it . Such as removing a deep scratch ?
Also how do you know how much to charge ?
later Daniel

Old Salt
12-12-2006, 10:55 PM
Dan : Yes you can edit after scan with a photo type screen program . I added white area around outside of part so it would not carve areas that were blank. saving almost 1 hr in carving time. Progam has brush tools that you can use touch up and blend adjoining shades to block out bad spots in scanned material. then after saving as a pattern you can stretch ,srink move like any other pattern. My time of using the program has been short but seems well thought out and user friendly . Scanned a cabinet 2 inch round drawer pull with a lighthouse in the center , enlarged it and carved 4 inch corner blocks for cabinets and window trim , work very well .
Pricing chair backs -- I just ask what is that chair worth repaired compared to know.? He told me it would add at least $ 250. to value . So my price was 125. per chair 4 chairs = $500.00 .
that seemed to be fine with him , I had no idea of what scanning time or carving time would be at that point ,so it was just a shot in the dark . All things considered it worked ot fine.