PDA

View Full Version : chip box for Sara

eelamb
07-18-2010, 05:07 PM
I finished this project today. Carved the top yesterday. I cut this cherry from one of the logs I have drying. Cut it to size to do a complete carve top and sides. The wood measured about 8% moisture, yet it warped badly. I heated water and soaked the wood, then clamped it flat. After about a month it was ok to finish cutting. Since the wood was still warped a little, it could not be carved, so I went ahead and mitered it, dado, and glued and assembled with band clamps. Once this was done I ran it through the joiner/sander, to get it flat on the sides and ends. The lid I did the same thing till it was flat enough to carve. OK long story, but salvaged the wood and the project to make what you see here. Pattern came from someone here, called chip box. Thanks to the person that posted that pattern.

want2b
07-18-2010, 06:02 PM
Beautiful box, the recipient will have something to treasure forever. Like the idea and may make something similar for my granddaughters.
Have had similar problems with wood that I thought was 'dried'. My thought is that it is caused by pressure from the grain? Holds ok through the length of the original
dried board but when cut across the grain it twists. I also have bought a 12x48 board from Lowes wrapped in plastic made from multiple boards glued together. had it
for about a week, then cut the plastic off and marked out how I wanted to cut and left it without cutting, next day it had cupped 1/8". Unfortunately I haven't bought
a moisture meter yet(soon), but made the mistake of assuming it was dry enough and with the muliple boards there shouldn't be a problem. Possibly some the more
experienced woodworkers on the forum can offer reasons.
Again, beautiful work, thanks for sharing,
Rick H.

Kenm810
07-18-2010, 06:48 PM
eelamb,

Great Job on the Chip Box Lid, I haven't seen one in ages!!
Thanks for the Photos

want26,

I just read your post, one thing to watch for, is to make sure the wood grain
alternates with each piece of wood glued up.
I like to seal the boards as soon as get them dried out,
to help prevent them from reabsorbing moisture form the air in the shop.
On Humid days, I swear some wood species suck water out of the air like a sponge.
I went out to the Garage to take this Photo to show you what I mean.

eelamb
07-18-2010, 07:56 PM
Thanks guys, my lumber supply is in the barn. When I planked out the cherry, I stacked it and weighted it for 3 months but that was earlier this year and it was already 3 years old with ends sealed. Should have put it in the attic, it would have dried there quickly. Remember I do wood turning, and normally have many logs of cherry or walnut waiting to be split, and round blanks cut from them. Since I do not have any cherry lumber I will plank some of it at times.