PDA

View Full Version : Power Supply Solution???

stinggray
07-18-2010, 09:28 AM
This week I just got a refurbished Compucarve with the Carve Tight from eBay. On my first carving I got the the Power Fluctuation. So I started looking on the forum and found Al thread about L2 coming loose. Sure enough it was it came loose and i fixed it. I also looked over the whole board and I saw it had been fixed before but every thing looked good. I put everything back together and it did a great job on the carving.:)

The next project was to try out the probe, that did a good job as well. Next came the carving of the fish i probed. (that didn't sound good but you know what i mean:)) About half way though i started getting the Power Fluctuation again. I opened it back up and now the terminal for the 4 wire leads came loose this time. I fixed again and am ready to try it again.

The problem seems to be the parts are vibrating loose. I was thinking maybe the solution is to relocate the power supply away from the CW to stop the vibrating. Or maybe put rubber washers and mounts to support the power supply back on the CW. Has anyone tried this? If so how did it work? Is this a bad idea and if it is, why?

Thanks Craig

Digitalwoodshop
07-18-2010, 12:35 PM
Good Job fixing the L2.....

I like the idea of isolating the power supply.... I would love to see all the electronics moved outside the machine and only the 3 drive wires and safety switches going to the machine via cords. Relocating the cut motor above the machine too..... Extreme Remake.... I will settle for a wall mounted machine and the cut motor located above the machine.

AL

stinggray
07-18-2010, 03:25 PM

I like the idea of isolating the power supply.... I would love to see all the electronics moved outside the machine and only the 3 drive wires and safety switches going to the machine via cords. Relocating the cut motor above the machine too..... Extreme Remake.... I will settle for a wall mounted machine and the cut motor located above the machine.

AL

LOL. I just come from the garage and was thinking the same thing before reading your reply. That makes so much sense a full control box with a 6'-+ cord and all electronics and controls on it, not just the power supply away from the CW. If you think about it ALL other CNC's have most if not all the electronics off the machine. Don't get me wrong I like the all in one but only if it works. I think I might relocate the power supply if this happens again.

CarverJerry
07-18-2010, 06:40 PM
If you're not using the carvetight or the Rock chuck you may want to consider making that change as it will help in less vibrations.

CJ

stinggray
07-18-2010, 07:57 PM
I am using the carvetigh. I can't imagine how bad it would be with out it.

bjbethke
07-19-2010, 08:47 AM
I am using the carvetigh. I can't imagine how bad it would be with out it.

If you are using a Carve Tight Z unit, it may not be installed right, loose or bad bearings. Is there any loose movement in the Z and Y trucks? It could also be a bad flex shaft or the motor causing the variations.

Jcpb321
07-20-2010, 01:47 PM

AL

As Al has said it may be an Extreme Remake moving everything but AS I HAVE DONE remounting the cut motor above my machine will make a lot of difference!

I just went out and checked mine out for vibration and noise, 1st when the machine starts cutting I do not need to put on my ear protection, I would say that the portable vacuum I use makes just as much noise as the cutting process, after 5 minutes of cutting my flex shaft is cool, putting my hand on the cover and other parts of the machine I feel just a midget of vibration, nothing like it was with the flex shaft forced into a circle!

Also wanted to test my new location of the Ringneck Dust collector, moved it to the extreme left, works great till I rebuild a new one with full coverage. If any of you are not using something like this you are missing out on a great thing!

Al, anytime you want to visit to test this baby you are welcome, if you decide you want to try one of these and I can be of assistance let me know, I might make a trip over there if needed!

stinggray
07-20-2010, 07:21 PM
This sounds VERY interesting. How about mounting the motor as a direct drive and loose the flex shaft? I'm not quite ready to jump in to something like this yet as i have only owned mine for a week. But let the shaft start giving some problems and push me to the cliff then I'll start looking into it.

Digitalwoodshop
07-21-2010, 01:41 AM
As Al has said it may be an Extreme Remake moving everything but AS I HAVE DONE remounting the cut motor above my machine will make a lot of difference!

I just went out and checked mine out for vibration and noise, 1st when the machine starts cutting I do not need to put on my ear protection, I would say that the portable vacuum I use makes just as much noise as the cutting process, after 5 minutes of cutting my flex shaft is cool, putting my hand on the cover and other parts of the machine I feel just a midget of vibration, nothing like it was with the flex shaft forced into a circle!

Also wanted to test my new location of the Ringneck Dust collector, moved it to the extreme left, works great till I rebuild a new one with full coverage. If any of you are not using something like this you are missing out on a great thing!

Al, anytime you want to visit to test this baby you are welcome, if you decide you want to try one of these and I can be of assistance let me know, I might make a trip over there if needed!

Good Job John.... Might take you up on the offer...

AL

stinggray
07-22-2010, 08:04 PM
Well i finally got around to taking a few pictures of the flip top cabinet with my CC mounted to it. It's very stable and as you can see in one of the pictures how well the planer counter balances the CC. So fare I have had no issues because of it being mounted on the flip top.

What a Brain Fart. These pictures were suppose to be poster in a different thread.

mtylerfl
07-22-2010, 08:33 PM
What a cool space-saver!

Digitalwoodshop
07-22-2010, 10:41 PM
Now that is a GREAT Idea for my Standby Machine...... 2 Machines..... WOW..... That is GREAT.....

I plan to wall mount my machines for space savings....

One thing..... I wonder how well the plastic Base will hold up over time on the machine being up side down?...

Not a whole lot of plastic there..... Another thought is to remove the screws in the bottom of the smooth shafts or smooth corner posts. Add a long threaded rod made from a fully threaded bolt... Double lock nut the end that holds the smooth Rod and drill 4 holes into the mounting table and double nut and washer the machine to the table.... Plus the 4 plastic corner holes......

Interesting......

AL

stinggray
07-23-2010, 06:20 AM
Al that's a good idea for extra support, I sure every bit will help. I try to keep as little stress on it as possible by only having it upside down when I use the planer. Here's where I got the idea. (http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2060342/22297/SwivelTopped-Tool-Cabinet-Plan.aspx) I also have one for a sanding center that has a disk/belt sander, oscillating sander and a grinder on it.

dbfletcher
07-23-2010, 06:33 AM
It's almost too bad they didnt design the machine inverted from the start. The could have included one 4" dust collection port at the top (now the bottom if inverted). I guess they would need a little stonger z-motor since it has to fight gravity more... and we wouldnt be able to watch it when it carves.... but i'm sure we would get a lot less sawdust in the belts and everywhere else.

fwharris
07-24-2010, 02:57 PM

John,
Glad to see you are enjoying the benifits of the top mount insert..:cool: Those that do not have it should have it...
I did make my proto type the full width but had to shorten it up some do to shipping box sizes. It should be an easy modification to extend the opening.

cchamber
12-16-2010, 01:31 PM
Now that you have had some time cutting with your motor mounted outside of your machine, have you had any problems? Would you still recommend this modification? If so, could you post more details and pics on how to do it and what to avoid?

drplc3
12-17-2010, 08:18 AM

This sounds VERY interesting. How about mounting the motor as a direct drive and loose the flex shaft? I'm not quite ready to jump in to something like this yet as i have only owned mine for a week. But let the shaft start giving some problems and push me to the cliff then I'll start looking into it.

DickB
12-17-2010, 08:45 AM
AS I HAVE DONE remounting the cut motor above my machine will make a lot of difference!
Pictures please?

mtylerfl
12-18-2010, 09:19 AM
Pictures please?

Hi Dick,

He posted some photos last July...visit this link:

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?15865-Machine-modification