PDA

View Full Version : How to assign the order of cut out?

Itsmeagain
07-16-2010, 09:38 PM
How do I cut out an octagon?

1. Is there a way to assign the order of cuts. For example, I want to cut the inner octagon first then the outer based on the Cut Path.
2. When I draw the octagon in Illustrator/Photoshop, I already setup the dimension correctly. However, when I import the image (.png) into the Carvewright design software, the dimension or size was not kept. Is there a way to maintain this size in the design software?

Many thanks for any kind of help.

dbfletcher
07-16-2010, 10:20 PM
You cant assign the order of cuts. The machine decided what is best, but i believe it typically (always) do the order correctly.

If you want to keep your sizes.. i would use Illustrator and backsave to a version 8 .ai file then you can use ai2mpc to convert your illustrator vector objects to designer vector objects. Or you can do this with the dwg importer. (ai2mpc is free however)

mtylerfl
07-16-2010, 10:24 PM
How do I cut out an octagon?

1. Is there a way to assign the order of cuts. For example, I want to cut the inner octagon first then the outer based on the Cut Path.

You do not control the order of cut outs - the software/firmware does that. If you have a design
with an inner and outer cut out like in your example, the inner cutout is always performed first (before the outer cut out).

2. When I draw the octagon in Illustrator/Photoshop, I already setup the dimension correctly. However, when I import the image (.png) into the Carvewright design software, the dimension or size was not kept. Is there a way to maintain this size in the design software?

Could be the resolution setting in Illustrator/PhotoShop when saving to a PNG that causes the discrepancy - experiment with different resolutions to see what happens (try 256 dpi - been awhile since I designed this way, so I don't recall for sure what worked best). See if you can find a "sweet spot" where your designs come into Designer at the proper dimension - otherwise, it's probably just easier to adjust the item to the proper size after it's in Designer.

If you were using software such as Aspire or ArtCAM, your dimensions would translate into Designer accurately. I use both software products interchangeably when designing boxes or any other item that requires accurate dimensions.

Also, if you are importing 2D DXF files (via the CarveWright DXF Importer) the DXF outlines import into Designer at the correct dimensions as well. That's how I did the Colonial Eagle Patriot box sides - they were all DXF outlines originally drawn in CorelDRAW at full-scale size, then imported into Designer where I applied carve regions, feather, etc. to create the final design.

Itsmeagain
07-16-2010, 10:37 PM
Many thanks for the help. I'll give both of your suggestions a try. Do I need to use Merge Subtract?

Please verify if my project, attached in here, will cut out the octagon for me.

Thank you.

dbfletcher
07-16-2010, 10:41 PM
Many thanks for the help. I'll give both of your suggestions a try. Do I need to use Merge Subtract?

Please verify if my project, attached in here, will cut out the octagon for me.

Thank you.

I cant open that.. most likely cuz I am still at software version 1.17.

mtylerfl
07-16-2010, 10:45 PM
Sorry - can't open your MPC (I must be running an older Designer version than you). If you just want just a plain octagon cut out, no need to mess with anything other than simply assigning a standard Cut Path to both outlines (no 'merges' or anything like that). I'm not sure why you thought you would need a Subtractive Merge???

TIMCOSBY
07-17-2010, 01:05 AM
if your not using cut path be sure to add manual tabs so the parts arent floating around while carving.

Kenm810
07-17-2010, 05:02 AM
Ver. 1.171 didn't open it either ---

It should probably, except for size look like this

Itsmeagain
07-17-2010, 07:29 AM
Many thanks for all your help.

Kenm810, for the Octagon 1a, I do not have to give it a depth if I do not want the machine to carve the board, correct?

I can't open my project either. I think there is something wrong with when I'm uploading because I'm not sure how to upload into here.When I use the paper clip icon to upload an attachment, I do not see an option to upload from my hard drive.

Itsmeagain
07-17-2010, 07:38 AM
Okay, see if this attachment will work.

It seems like the "Upload Files from your Computer" option is no longer working.

dbfletcher
07-17-2010, 07:39 AM
Nope, I still cant open that. Im pretty sure askbud has a video on how to upload on the new forum.

Itsmeagain
07-17-2010, 07:40 AM
Okay, see if this attachment will work.

It seems like the "Upload Files from your Computer" option is no longer working.

No, it didn't work either. Will someone show me how to attach in here? Thanks!

Kenm810
07-17-2010, 07:55 AM
You Don't have to set a Depth, or you can set the depth on the one I posted at "0",
I set a depth for it, so I could make a pattern of it that I wanted to try.

AskBud
07-17-2010, 07:58 AM
No, it didn't work either. Will someone show me how to attach in here? Thanks!
Perhaps it is just a lack of a check mark in the final screen!
I made a "Revised" lesson on Attachments on July 9, 2010.
It's in my Download section below.
AskBud

Digitalwoodshop
07-17-2010, 11:53 AM
You can always make 2 cut files... 1 for inside and 2 for outside....

AL

Itsmeagain
07-17-2010, 09:38 PM
Perhaps it is just a lack of a check mark in the final screen!
I made a "Revised" lesson on Attachments on July 9, 2010.
It's in my Download section below.
AskBud

Thanks, AsBud for the tutorial. I felt so dumb now. I didn't see the "Select Files" link.