PDA

View Full Version : How to break a circle or arc?

Jeff_Birt
12-10-2006, 11:36 PM
I was trying to make a sign with an oval shaped object that overlaps a rectangular object. The are regions on the interior of these objects which are carved out. I then wanted the whole piece cut out. I found that you cannot break a (or add a vertex to) circle or oval. I wound up tracing the oval with a number of arcs (which was rather slow). Is there a better way to do this?

I attached the project so you can see what I mean.

SpiffyDog
01-07-2007, 08:38 PM
Jeff,

Very nice project! Your idea brings to mind many possibilities.

It certainly would be nice to be able to combine objects into one. I played around with your concept and was able to create the recessed areas a little differently by working with the clip carving (inclusive/exclusive). Still, the problem is cutting the project out as you have it.

Jeff_Birt
01-08-2007, 08:40 AM
SpiffyDog,

Very cool! your method certainly made the project easier. Still have to trace the outside, dang it. Perhaps CW will fix this in the future. Maybe, I'll add this as a feature request.

dspeers
01-10-2007, 08:22 PM
I found that if you want to manipulate a circle you really just want to convert a rectangle to a circle. To get a perfect circle use a square (though not as flexible, but better looking).

Draw the rectangle and convert each red vertex with the make spline tool from the Utility toolbar.

Jeff_Birt
01-10-2007, 09:54 PM
VERY cool method! :o

Marzluf
01-13-2007, 11:51 AM
Is this what you're trying to do ??

Jeff_Birt
01-13-2007, 02:13 PM
The one I originally posted looked the way I wanted it to. It was just a pain to have to trace around the ovals since you cant break an oval or circle. I was fishing for better methods.